News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

mikejs78

Premium Member
@peter11435 I seem to remember somewhere that part of the calculus aside from the cost of moving it every day was the fact that it would require the drawbridge to be up for a pretty long period of time daily, disrupting the guest flow. Is there any truth to this?

mattpeto

@peter11435 I seem to remember somewhere that part of the calculus aside from the cost of moving it every day was the fact that it would require the drawbridge to be up for a pretty long period of time daily, disrupting the guest flow. Is there any truth to this?
There were credible rumbles that the daytime fountains justified the permanent moorings FWIW. This leads into my theory that the barges aren’t long for this world.

James Alucobond

Do you really think that they would just mothball that huge investment?
It wouldn't really be the first time, though I certainly have doubts they would do so. However, if they do in fact opt to retire the show super early, they do have a few points coming up in the near future when the public optics surrounding the decision would be comparatively less horrible (e.g. end of EPCOT's 40th, end of TWDC 100th, etc.).

mattpeto

Do you really think that they would just mothball that huge investment?
I think overall Harmonious is performing well and it’s a few tweaks away from being an excellent show. It’s visually beautiful when everything is working. (Just needs a good tie-in song for my tastes, and a few RoE/ToN nod could really help).

But the barges are hideous during the day and carry a bad reputation from the community and more importantly the higher-ups also feel the pressure.

What we don’t know is if the barges performance is meeting maintenance expectations. If they are having more issues than expected, that could move the needle too…

I could also see a small update for 10/1/2022-9/30/2023 (Epcot 40th) and then retire the show completely.

Something will give: Either the barges will be movable or they will be dismantled for something new or mobile going forward.

The current operations won’t survive into 2024 is what I’m predicting.

Vinnie Mac

I think overall Harmonious is performing well and it’s a few tweaks away from being an excellent show. It’s visually beautiful when everything is working. (Just needs a good tie-in song for my tastes, and a few RoE/ToN nod could really help).
I agree. So far I absolutely love HarmonioUS and it has been a joy to see it grow on people and improve over time. I do think that some day, there could and should be a show that utilizes the visual impressiveness of HarmonioUS and combines it with ROE levels of storytelling and emotion. That would be a truly perfect show and one of I've conceptualized in my head since I first saw HarmonioUS in person.

jrhwdw

But the barges are hideous during the day and carry a bad reputation from the community and more importantly the higher-ups also feel the pressure.

What we don’t know is if the barges performance is meeting maintenance expectations. If they are having more issues than expected, that could move the needle too…

I could also see a small update for 10/1/2022-9/30/2023 (Epcot 40th) and then retire the show completely.

Something will give: Either the barges will be movable or they will be dismantled for something new or mobile going forward.

The current operations won’t survive into 2024 is what I’m predicting.
Is an Epcot Tag in the works for the 40th??????

jrhwdw

I'd like to think Epcot isn't forgetting July 4th but that doesn't look like it's confirmed yet. We know Celebrate America at MK is now.

Disney Glimpses

The barges in the center of the lagoon are definitely an issue. I do think they’ll get 5 years out of them before scrapping them though; unless they attempt to modify them to store them backstage as originally planned (doubt it).

We’ll see how long these things hold up. If maintenance becomes an issue, they’ll go sooner than later.

Disney Analyst

I mean I’m interested to see what happens, but just don’t see the barges going anywhere in the next 10 years.

Management likely sees this as a show platform they can program any show on, so even if Harmonious goes, I see the barges staying.

Vinnie Mac

I mean I’m interested to see what happens, but just don’t see the barges going anywhere in the next 10 years.

Management likely sees this as a show platform they can program any show on, so even if Harmonious goes, I see the barges staying.
I think an Illuminations reboot using the barges is more likely than the barges being completely removed in the next 10 years.

ToTBellHop

What could go wrong using lake water in your fountains and spraying it on your floodlights, lasers, and LED screens?
That lake is filled with Dasani, so nothing. Seven Seas Lagoon, on the other hand, is nasty. They used one of these to deal with the alligators a few years back so it’s basically a gator smoothie:
1653336875442.jpeg

aladdin2007

while I agree, if they become a maintenance nightmare and or out of control costs issue I could see them scrapping them sooner. How all of this mess ever got greenlit in the first place Ill never understand. They could have done a phenomenal all new show without those things from the getgo. Lately the majority of new shows are ending up getting scrapped or retooled anyway. Rivers of light lasted how long? harmonious isn't any better, and same with enchantment (which is sounding like its going sayonara next year). Id love to know who got in this company and thought these were good ideas.

Vinnie Mac

What could go wrong using lake water in your fountains and spraying it on your floodlights, lasers, and LED screens?
The most major issue that happened to HarmonioUS (during a show too) had nothing to do with the lake water and everything to do with the projections being off centered. That to this day remains the worst showing of anything I've ever seen from Disney.

James Alucobond

... and same with enchantment (which is sounding like its going sayonara next year). Id love to know who got in this company and thought these were good ideas.
Enchantment is fine, it's just inappropriate for the 50th anniversary and was obviously preceded by a giant that would have been difficult to outdo even if the show had been developed on a less restrictive timeline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom