News 'Disney Enchantment' coming to Magic Kingdom October 1 2021

TrainsOfDisney

Wonder if there was shell-shock from the feedback and overall guest reception that was received for EPCOT Forever that they decided to go the route of keeping it more IP based?

I suppose only those that are involved will ever know about what was discussed around the tables as part of the creative process.
Epcot Forever was always supposed to be short term to be replaced with an IP based show. So the decision to go IP based was already done.

Of course... fantasy in the sky has plenty of IP... not like it’s a new concept.

wtyy21

We know EF was supposed to be an interim show. What I’m getting at is that maybe, just maybe, that the feedback received from EF…which is a parks/attractions based show had influence on part of the design decisions for DE.
Designing concept of what we now known as "Disney Enchantment" were go as back as in 2019, where there are rumors that nostalgia-based firework show akin to former RDCT and temporary EF will come to the Magic Kingdom. However, the plans were scrapped due to fact that non-local visitors will not know that MK or WDW history as a result of mixed feedback of EF or pandemic-related cuts maybe. See in two links below:

I would excited to see the "Beacons of Magic" projection show in all 4 parks, which is what concept that 50th anniversary fireworks show supposedly will go to the MK at the time.

wtyy21

I found samples of Disney's Enchantment that contains Moana song "We Know the Way", which i think, borrowed from Illuminate...A Nighttime Celebration (SHDL 5th anniversary fireworks show). The difference is the song that supposedly will shown in DE will using English, where in Illuminate, the song is in Chinese (maybe)

Castle Cake Apologist

You are mistaken, but it's the internet's fault.

Disney said HEA was definitely ending. But they didn't say "permanently." But that was the blogosphere's takeaway.

Our insiders here have said there is a possibility for HEA to return. It depends. And no firm decision has been made yet.

Not sure if this was ever resolved, but I had this exchange on Instagram a couple months ago.

Screenshot_20210925-231428_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210925-230933_Instagram.jpg

So it was intended to be permanent at that point at least.

wtyy21

By that logic, Enchantment will be the fireworks show forever, since it's "permanent." There can never be any new fireworks show... ever.
At least 10 years, same as Disneyland's RDCT, which was run for 11 years (with exception of limited-run Disneyland Forever for 60th anniversary) until it were retired forever in November 2018.

yensidtlaw1969

People still seem to be getting really confused about this . . .

. . . Disney Enchantment is considered an Open-Ended run. There is no currently decided date for its closure. It's not like it is planned to end on the final date of the 50th Celebration; it will run until they choose close it.

Disney Enchantment is arriving to The Magic Kingdom as a gift for it's 50th Anniversary, but it is NOT 50th-specific in its programming. It's just the latest Magic Kingdom Fireworks show, the same way Happily Ever After was when it opened.

Happily Ever After *MAY* still return to The Magic Kingdom one day - Disneyland has on more than one occassion returned old Fireworks Shows to service, and given the popularity of Happily Ever After (and the concern that Disney Enchantment may not be met with the same praise), as well as its relatively short run, it's entirely possible that Disney *could* choose to bring it back in the future.

HOWEVER, they currently have no plans for that, so if you want to see Happily Ever After one last time it's recommended you catch it before October 1st this year.

Disney Enchantment is "permanent" in the same way that Happily Ever After was "permanent" - it is opening with no pre-determined expiration date. It will of course close EVENTUALLY, but its run is not intended to be limited to the 50th Celebration dates.

Last edited:

brb1006

I generally have a pretty low tolerance for this stuff, but must admit I find "You are the magic!" a bit corny/cringey even as the theme for a Disney fireworks show. I slightly winced when that behind the scenes video ended with a burst of that line. Perhaps I just need to accept that I am the magic ☺️

Interested to see how this show works out anyway. If nothing else, the fireworks look good from the tests.
"You are the magic!"
- Rafiki, from the Walt Disney World 25th Anniversary Parade circa 1996

TrainsOfDisney

At least 10 years, same as Disneyland's RDCT, which was run for 11 years (with exception of limited-run Disneyland Forever for 60th anniversary) until it were retired forever in November 2018.
Magical was in there as well. Plus the holiday shows. Disneyland Forever ran for a good 18 months didn’t it? (And then returned thankfully!)

yensidtlaw1969

I generally have a pretty low tolerance for this stuff, but must admit I find "You are the magic!" a bit corny/cringey even as the theme for a Disney fireworks show. I slightly winced when that behind the scenes video ended with a burst of that line. Perhaps I just need to accept that I am the magic ☺️

Interested to see how this show works out anyway. If nothing else, the fireworks look good from the tests.
I had been wondering what the musical "tagline" would be for the 50th, trying to predict what new "magic" catchphrase they would come up with. This seems about as trite as one might expect.

Can't help but wonder what I'm paying thousands of dollars for if *I* was the magic all along . . . ya know?

Wasn't thinking it'd be anything life changing, but yeah, feels like they could have done better.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

I think that was the pop version of the song. Happily Ever After as a song is kinda meh too but when you make the song orchestral it works somehow. The blend of the orchestra and the choir singing makes the song much better and I think this will be the same.

Sir_Cliff

I had been wondering what the musical "tagline" would be for the 50th, trying to predict what new "magic" catchphrase they would come up with. This seems about as trite as one might expect.

Can't help but wonder what I'm paying thousands of dollars for if *I* was the magic all along . . . ya know?

Wasn't thinking it'd be anything life changing, but yeah, feels like they could have done better.
Yeah, these songs are what they are and I don't expect anything life changing. This tagline of this one just hits me as particularly empty and pandering. As a tagline for the 50th overall I don't think it would work like, say, Remember the Magic did. As you say, if I'm the magic, why am I wasting my time and money on a trip to Disney World? Disney should be paying me!

I think that was the pop version of the song. Happily Ever After as a song is kinda meh too but when you make the song orchestral it works somehow. The blend of the orchestra and the choir singing makes the song much better and I think this will be the same.
As far as they go, I didn't actually mind the lyrics to Happily Ever After. The notion of finding your own version of happily ever after through the choices you make in your life is not actually a bad one. You Are the Magic just has "You're all winners!" vibes.

We'll see what it all sounds like when we see and hear the whole thing, but I have to be honest and say I do cringe every time I hear that "You are the Magic!" tagline in these videos.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah, these songs are what they are and I don't expect anything life changing. This tagline of this one just hits me as particularly empty and pandering. As a tagline for the 50th overall I don't think it would work like, say, Remember the Magic did. As you say, if I'm the magic, why am I wasting my time and money on a trip to Disney World? Disney should be paying me!

As far as they go, I didn't actually mind the lyrics to Happily Ever After. The notion of finding your own version of happily ever after through the choices you make in your life is not actually a bad one. You Are the Magic just has "You're all winners!" vibes.

We'll see what it all sounds like when we see and hear the whole thing, but I have to be honest and say I do cringe every time I hear that "You are the Magic!" tagline in these videos.

It's the kind of thing that furthers my belief that Walt Disney World is seriously lacking in the Master Planning department - how good would "YOU Are The Magic" have been for a show like the Projection Show from a few years back that featured Photos of Guests on the Castle?

Could no one have forseen during the planning stages that the musical bookend of "Happily Ever After" was a strong enough contender for a big, golden anniversary campaign, and maybe should either have been kept in their pocket for the time being or planned to be still be used during that milestone?

I mean, I was as ready as anyone for Wishes to be replaced with something shiny and new, but it IS weird that they finally pushed through a new show just a few short years before the 50th, when they were obviously gonna have interest in offering a new fireworks show for the anniversary.

Not to mention the weirdness of swapping it out for a fireworks show that assumes the viewers have a stronger connection to, like, "Onward" than to, say, Its A Small World. You'd think anyone who spent thousands of dollars to come to Walt Disney World (and during the 50th Anniversary) could be relied on to have SOME love for Walt Disney World. Even if it happened to be their first trip, summing up the joy of the day in the park is still a solid move.

So far basically every offering for the 50th Anniversary REEKS of "New Management" - you'd never guess that anyone currently in charge had actually witnessed any meaningful portion of the 50 years supposedly being celebrated.

I understand that plans had to change in the wake of the Pandemic, but it really feels as if the 50th somehow caught them by surprise. At least ONE component of the celebration should actually suggest they're in touch with what Walt Disney World has been about this whole time.

gerarar

Premium Member
Here’s a clip from tonight’s testing with music added on. Lots of HEA shells being reused in this segment, will be interesting to see in a couple months (after HEA stockpile runs out) if those shells remain or are replaced with specialized shells designed/picked specifically for it.

Sir_Cliff

It's the kind of thing that furthers my belief that Walt Disney World is seriously lacking in the Master Planning department - how good would "YOU Are The Magic" have been for a show like the Projection Show from a few years back that featured Photos of Guests on the Castle?

Could no one have forseen during the planning stages that the musical bookend of "Happily Ever After" was a strong enough contender for a big, golden anniversary campaign, and maybe should either have been kept in their pocket for the time being or planned to be still be used during that milestone?

I mean, I was as ready as anyone for Wishes to be replaced with something shiny and new, but it IS weird that they finally pushed through a new show just a few short years before the 50th, when they were obviously gonna have interest in offering a new fireworks show for the anniversary.

Not to mention the weirdness of swapping it out for a fireworks show that assumes the viewers have a stronger connection to, like, "Onward" than to, say, Its A Small World. You'd think anyone who spent thousands of dollars to come to Walt Disney World (and during the 50th Anniversary) could be relied on to have SOME love for Walt Disney World. Even if it happened to be their first trip, summing up the joy of the day in the park is still a solid move.

So far basically every offering for the 50th Anniversary REEKS of "New Management" - you'd never guess that anyone currently in charge had actually witnessed any meaningful portion of the 50 years supposedly being celebrated.

I understand that plans had to change in the wake of the Pandemic, but it really feels as if the 50th somehow caught them by surprise. At least ONE component of the celebration should actually suggest they're in touch with what Walt Disney World has been about this whole time.
I have said this elsewhere, but the whole campaign reads as being somewhat phoned in by marketing. It feels almost like they have brought in an outside marketing firm that has just shrugged and said "Disney's branding is all about magic, right? How about The World's Most Magical Celebration? A 50th anniversary is the gold one, isn't it? What about gold statues of Disney characters? A new fireworks show could also work. These are just usually collections of songs from the films, right?"

I don't really detect much care or thought in any of the things they are doing so far. It really all feels like a campaign that could have been dreamt up by people who only had a passing knowledge of Disney World and hadn't necessarily even been there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom