Scentsy and Walt Disney World are bringing a new guest experience within Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom

dovetail65

Except when you are someone who gets an instant massive headache and your airway starts to plug up with certain smells. Then it's not so much a good memory. I can't ride Soarin' anymore because of the rose scent. Same with FoP, I went on it a couple of times and the smell just peole allery keeps getting stronger and stronger in there that I can not even go into the building anymore. The candy is nice.
So sorry about that, but they need make these rides for the masses and am betting those scents on Soaring make the attraction what it is for a good portion of the people. I get motion sickness and have a touch of claustrophobia which I am betting is far more prevalent, no less anyhow, than sensitivity to smells. I have to skip rides too. On mission space their is no good reason they had to make it feel like my chest is rammed against the wall to get that effect(I am a small person), but they do so I do not go on it anymore. I won't take the experience away from others because of my issue though.

I do get it, some overpowering scents are not pleasant and overwhelming. I just never found Disney to ever make me feel that way. Now certain men or woman walking by in an enclosed office space sometimes I can just about fall over from the perfume or cologne !

The scent on Soaring seems hit or miss to us. It seems like the scent gets used up and then they need replenish it at times. Sometimes we were disappointed by lack of smell, not sure how that works.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

I use scent warmers in my office and while my office "motif" is nautical I am tempted o get one of these.
Screen-Shot-2019-09-02-at-1.45.40-PM-800x400-1-550x275.png

mickey-and-friends-scentsy-collection-550x309.png

dovetail65

What is the difference between MLM and pyramid? To me they always seem to be pretty much the same premise - the one at the top makes the most. You earn more by recruiting people under you.
A pyramid Scheme is not real, an MLM is a way to make money that offers real goods or services. MLM's are not fraudulent, just a bad idea for most people and usually worse(more difficult to make money) for the newest people getting. MLM structure is shaped like a pyramid, but they are different. A Pyramid is a fake fraudulent copy of an MLM.

Multi-level Marketing (MLM) or network marketing, is individuals selling products to the public - often by word of mouth and direct sales. The main idea behind the MLM strategy is to promote maximum number of distributors for the product and exponentially increase the sales force. The promoters get commission on the sale of the product as well as compensation for sales their recruits make thus, the compensation plan in multi-level marketing is structured such that commission is paid to individuals at multiple levels when a single sale is made and commission depends on the total volume of sales generated.

Pyramid Schemes are, however, fraudulent schemes, disguised as an MLM strategy. The difference between a pyramid scheme and a lawful MLM program is that there is no real product that is sold in a pyramid scheme. Participants attempt to make money solely by recruiting new participants into the program. The hallmark of these schemes is the promise of sky-high returns in a short period of time for doing nothing other than handing over your money and getting others to do the same.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It seem Disney has partnered with many MLM. MLM are not illegal becasue they are NOT pyramid schemes, still most people never make any money even hurting entire families. Why Disney feels they need do this I have no clue. Actually, we all know, it's about money.

Some people hear of these companies and if a salesperson says a word they are going to tell you they were harassed, when they were not, it is simply because of the company's name.

For the true harassment incidences I can't believe Disney would let any practices that ruin the experience within a Park to carry on very long.

Disney dealz with these MLM's and more:

First, I didn't say "pyramid scheme" anywhere on here. In a previous post, I did make a joke about Bob being "in the pyramid" but that's true of MLM because that's how the whole multi-level part is structured.

People in the programs cringe whenever they see or hear the word "pyramid" though but there's a reason for that.

Let's not fool ourselves. MLM is in practice, just a way to make pyramid schemes legal because once you've been recruited, one of the first things the person who recruited you is going to do is try to help you find two or more suckers soon-to-be-former-friends to add to your downline.

The whole, "we're all selling product!" thing is a line of crap because if you stop to think even for a moment about it, you'd be competing directly with the person above you, next to you, and the people below you for sales if this were truly about "network marketing" and word-of-mouth sales of a product since the overlap in friends, family and acquaintances to sell to would be considerable once that ball starts rolling.

Everyone involved knows you'll never make it just trying to peddle product.

It's all about building your part of the pyramid through your downline.

Anyway, Disney has licensed their brand to the high heavens for decades. That's nothing new. Just about nothing you buy in non-Disney stores is merchandise made by or for Disney themselves and yeah, they've licensed their brand for use by MLM companies before.

If corporations had souls, they'd have sold theirs a long time ago, probably in limited edition amulets that would have been immediately scooped up by resellers to list on ebay.

This however, is the first deal I'm aware of in the parks (feel free to correct me) and yes, I'm sorry but I consider it harassment if I pay what Disney charges for a day in the parks and have to deal with people trying to sell me crap.

There's a reason the DVC folks sit in their little spots and do nothing unless you approach them.

My personal hope is that these people doing this crap are just the routine overzealous bunch* that "believe in the product" and are out there "changing lives" who in this case, happen to have annual passes and haven't yet realized this partnership doesn't give them the right to openly solicit to strangers on Disney property and that Disney has not yet determined the best way to crack down without potentially damaging their deal.

That's my hope because if Disney actually is allowing this, it's disgusting.

*Again, I know it sounds like I have animosity towards these folks. I don't. I blame the companies who set up these programs to begin with.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

My personal hope is that these people doing this crap are just the routine overzealous bunch that "believe in the product" and are out there "changing lives" who in this case, happen to have annual passes and haven't yet realized this partnership doesn't give them the right to openly solicit to strangers on Disney property and that Disney has not yet determined the best way to crack down without potentially damaging their deal.

There was a Reddit thread over the weekend, regarding Scentsy people being in the parks and distributing free gift bags of their products and info. Some reported that when they told the vendors "no", they tried to give the bags to their kids. A lot of people in the thread were Disney fans and not pleased about it, even if it was free.

They all gathered at Pinnochiohaus this morning and got bright green gift bags full of materials to hand out. It looked very organized and there looked to be Disney cast members helping out with this part. Then they were handing out plastic bags with “suckers for the kids” to people in lines for rides that also happened to be full of Scentsy garbage. When parents refused, they gave the bags to kids.

Their large groups were yelling and clapping as bus lines and pretty clearly were staying at Coronado based on the huge bus lines containing their people.

I would understand if they were just there for a convention, but distributing MLM materials in the park seems very unusual.

MrPromey

There was a Reddit thread over the weekend, regarding Scentsy people being in the parks and distributing free gift bags of their products and info. Some reported that when they told the vendors "no", they tried to give the bags to their kids. A lot of people in the thread were Disney fans and not pleased about it, even if it was free.

The beauty of MLMs and their "independent distributors" is your company is generally shielded both legally and publicly when you can distance yourself from these folks and state they don't work for you, don't actually represent your brand and that you have a limited ability to control them.

You get to teach "ethical" ways to promote your product in your official seminars and materials while turning a total blind eye to the tactics that many of your top tier "distributors" will tell their downline to employ and most of these people at the bottom, just trying to make the dream happen, don't know any better yet.

GimpYancIent

First, I didn't say "pyramid scheme" anywhere on here. In a previous post, I did make a joke about Bob being "in the pyramid" but that's true of MLM because that's how the whole multi-level part is structured.

People in the programs cringe whinever they see or hear the word "pyramid" though but there's a reason for that.

Let's not fool ourselves. MLM is in practice, just a way to make pyramid schemes legal because once you've been recruited, one of the first things the person who recruited you is going to do is try to help you find two or more suckers soon-to-be-former-friends to add to your downline.

The whole, "we're all selling product!" thing is a line of crap because if you stop to think even for a moment about it, you'd be competing directly with the person above you, next to you, and the people below you for sales if this were truly about "network marketing" and word-of-mouth sales of a product since the overlap in friends, family and acquaintances to sell to would be considerable once that ball starts rolling.

Anyway, Disney has licensed their brand to the high heavens for decades. That's nothing new. Just about nothing you buy in non-Disney stores is merchandise made by or for Disney themselves and yeah, they've licensed their brand for use by MLM companies before.

If corporations had souls, they'd have sold theirs a long time ago, probably in limited edition amulets that would have been immediately scooped up by resellers to list on ebay.

This however, is the first deal I'm aware of in the parks (feel free to correct me) and yes, I'm sorry but I consider it harassment if I pay what Disney charges for a day in the parks and have to deal with people trying to sell me crap.

There's a reason the DVC folks sit in their little spots and do nothing unless you approach them.

My personal hope is that these people doing this crap are just the routine overzealous bunch* that "believe in the product" and are out there "changing lives" who in this case, happen to have annual passes and haven't yet realized this partnership doesn't give them the right to openly solicit to strangers on Disney property and that Disney has not yet determined the best way to crack down without potentially damaging their deal.

*Again, I know it sounds like I have animosity towards these folks. I don't. I blame the companies who set up these programs to begin with.
Ok, Ok let me absorb this MLM's are legal marketing scams?

MrPromey

Can we just get back to the topic and leave the Bernie Madoff junk elsewhere? :banghead:

Right, right!

Potential problems for people with allergies and asthma, people trying to hand out bags of crap in the parks, will there be an actual attraction of some sort or is this just about selling crap wax warmers(?) - so sorry - please continue!

Last edited:

dovetail65

Well not sure why you think I aimed my post at you in a negative way, I didn't.

People in the programs cringe whenever they see or hear the word "pyramid" though but there's a reason for that.

Well until I get approached and actually bothered, meaning I say no and they don't relent like you I have little issue with people trying to make money. Just dont mess with my vacation.

Disney must have a contract that has rules or even lays out exactly how the interaction with these salespeople and guests can go. I'll make a point next time to walk by these areas and see what happens. Looks like I am overruled and we are going back to WDW in a few weeks.

Ever go to Cancun, the timeshare sales on the Beaches and roads is outrageous, talk about ruining a vacation! They were relentless with us, lets hope Disney never allows anything like that.

MrPromey

Well until I get approached and actually bothered, meaning I say no and they don't relent like you I have little issue with people trying to make money. Just dont mess with my vacation.

Disney must have a contract that has rules or even lays out exactly how the interaction with these salespeople and guests can go. I'll make a point next time to walk by these areas and see what happens. Looks like I am overruled and we are going back to WDW in a few weeks.

Ever go to Cancun, the timeshare sales on the Beaches and roads is outrageous, talk about ruining a vacation! They were relentless with us, lets hope Disney never allows anything like that.
Yeah, you'll find it right outside of Disney property in central Florida, too.

What has me all ruffled is the thought that this is apparently happening in the parks, potentially okayed by Disney.

And sorry if I took your response the wrong way. I've had more than my fair share of exposure to these types of businesses (mlm) and seen firsthand what they can do to people so I come into the discussion already wound and ready to pounce.

dovetail65

Ok, Ok let me absorb this MLM's are legal marketing scams?
They are not scams. I know an Avon lady and Tupperware Person made enough to retire on, but it's not the norm. Most people can't succeed at it and many have ruined lives trying to do it. It is a fine line between legitimate or not. The best of best of MLM's are still very difficult to succeed in, but they are not scams. They are not anything anyone should get into either, in my opinion.

MLM by definition depend on endless chains of recruiting new members, think about it, that's impossible to sustain.

You need to google how these companies work , read this:

Last edited:

dovetail65

Yeah, you'll find it right outside of Disney property in central Florida, too.

What has me all ruffled is the thought that this is apparently happening in the parks, potentially okayed by Disney.

And sorry if I took your response the wrong way. I've had more than my fair share of exposure to these types of businesses (mlm) and seen firsthand what they can do to people so I come into the discussion already wound and ready to pounce.
We are on the same wavelength on this for sure. Posting and Messaging is tough to read intent with no verbal or facial cues, we are all good.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom