News Ohana reopening July 9th

CaptinEO

I'm guessing the shrimp is a supply issue.

I always referred to the bread as a suckers bet. The bread is good, but you don't want to fill up on bread.
Shrimp will be in a casserole to ensure you have to eat carbs with your shrimp to get full.

Pineapple bread was a fun and unique item.

Mickey2021

Got to be honest. This menu sounds like a cheap imitation of the real Ohana I know and love. The grilled shrimp on those huge skewers was my absolute favorite part of the meal and made it feel worth the price to me. The sad shrimp casserole replacement reminds me of the "macaroni and cheese with a few shrimp" that they serve at Chef Mickeys.

And the noodles they brought back aren't even the good ones. Are people that easily fooled? The best noodles that they used to serve had a peanut butter sauce. I definitely won't be going back, not that it matters, other people will gladly take my spot. The thing that Disney doesn't seem to understand is that are practicing "death by a thousand cuts". Every little thing like this makes me way less likely to book another trip in the future until one day I just stop going. The combination of all these small cost cutting measures means that real soon they will lose out on at least my $7,000 I spend every year.

Chi84

Premium Member
Are we sure this is a permanent menu as opposed to one being dictated by short term lack of availability and labor shortages? In my area restaurants are having a hard time getting crab and lobster and virtually every one is hiring for all positions. It seems a lot of the WDW restaurants are going for streamlined menus now.

TrojanUSC

Are we sure this is a permanent menu as opposed to one being dictated by short term lack of availability and labor shortages? In my area restaurants are having a hard time getting crab and lobster and virtually every one is hiring for all positions. It seems a lot of the WDW restaurants are going for streamlined menus now.

WDW streamlined menus a ton when the dining plan came out and used COVID as an opportunity to streamline them anymore. Lot cheaper to operate as a veritable banquet hall with a couple choices than it is to offer diverse individually prepped entrees.

jmuboy

Agree this may be the case but my fear is will this menu still be in place next June. Maybe the old menu comes back when characters do?

Chi84

Premium Member
WDW streamlined menus a ton when the dining plan came out and used COVID as an opportunity to streamline them anymore. Lot cheaper to operate as a veritable banquet hall with a couple choices than it is to offer diverse individually prepped entrees.
I know what you're saying, but I think it's too early to say COVID is an excuse as opposed to a legitimate reason. Labor shortages and supply issues are impacting services everywhere right now, not just at WDW.

castlecake2.0

One factor of the limited menus is the team that approves them is also trying to get Disneyland up and running too. It looks like Tratorria al Forno is the first menu to go back to a pre Covid line up, take a look at the dinner menu, it got a great update. I think we will eventually see more of this as staffing and operations get back to normal.

RollerCoaster

Ohana is a giant trough where pigs feed. The gluttony I witnessed during my only dining experience was repulsive. A friend talked this place up so much. With expectations set high this place miserably failed. I truly wanted to release the brakes on this dumpster and deservingly roll it off a cliff.

Since then If someone says they love Ohana then I know their opinion about food doesn't count. The overpriced food they serve is disgusting. The noodles, potstickers, chicken all sickly sweet, lacking good flavor, and can only be described as terrible. However, I will say they know their audience and serve them well. It was insane...people (more appropriately animals) foraging for food as if they hadn't eaten in weeks or if it would be their last meal before hibernation. It's a memory I wish I could forget.

Last edited:

RollerCoaster

Regardless of the posted prices the entire ambiance, appeal of the food and quality of the experience is fast deteriorating. Guests would go to Poly because of Ohana I do not see that being the case anymore.
There are literally very few reasons to go to the Polynesian- Dole Whip and Trader Sam's are the only ones. Ohana and the equally bad Kona Cafe are reasons why you should avoid this place.

Apple Core

Ohana is a giant trough where pigs feed. The gluttony I witnessed during my only dining experience was repulsive. A friend talked this place up so much. With expectations set high this place miserably failed. I truly wanted to release brakes on this dumpster and deservingly roll it off a cliff.

Since then If someone says they love Ohana then I know their opinion about food doesn't count. The overpriced food they serve is disgusting. The noodles, potstickers, chicken all sickly sweet, lacking good flavor, and can only be described as terrible. However, I will say they know their audience and serve appropriately for them. It was insane...people (more appropriately animals) foraging for food as if they hadn't eaten in weeks or if it would be their last meal before hibernation. It's a memory I wish I could forget.
WOW! As I was girding the proverbial loins for an exceptionally stressful workday, this colorful storytelling gave me a welcomed laugh. Plus I'd been annoyed thinking about how many Disney vloggers will be racing to be the first posting about "Ohana reopening!" Thank you, @UltimateRollercoaster, I'm honestly gonna be rereading your description throughout the day for a genuine smile and giggle. 😁

CuteAsMinnie

Ohana is a giant trough where pigs feed. The gluttony I witnessed during my only dining experience was repulsive. A friend talked this place up so much. With expectations set high this place miserably failed. I truly wanted to release the brakes on this dumpster and deservingly roll it off a cliff.

Since then If someone says they love Ohana then I know their opinion about food doesn't count. The overpriced food they serve is disgusting. The noodles, potstickers, chicken all sickly sweet, lacking good flavor, and can only be described as terrible. However, I will say they know their audience and serve them well. It was insane...people (more appropriately animals) foraging for food as if they hadn't eaten in weeks or if it would be their last meal before hibernation. It's a memory I wish I could forget.
Deep meditation might help purge bad memories that may be lingering.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

It's as if you never witnessed a Disney crowd eating. Your experience you just wrote is what you witness in pretty much every eatery on property :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom