News Disney Vacation Club Announces Expansion at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

correcaminos

He got a few things wrong for sure. Building 9 is now 100% individual resort studios. There are no suites and there are no one bedrooms. Not in building 9.

Also, surprisingly, he missed the Mary Poppins touches that are present in the lobby if building 9. They are absolutely there.

And eventually he landed correctly, what he toured at DVC was a dedicated two bedroom. Not a one-bedroom connecting to a studio aka lockoff.
I am not a resort staying person but weren't the resort rooms about 440sq ft? If so he's also wrong on studio sizes then. The deluxe studios are 374. I had a hard time watching him on this one.

The points aren't cheaper as stated. I've seen layouts of the turret rooms. They moved the couch to the window. Someone I saw taoked about them. Said they were great, but asked to be moved since they lacked a balcony.

Weirdly our kitchen was not built in like that but a stainless Haier brand.

Disone

I am not a resort staying person but weren't the resort rooms about 440sq ft? If so he's also wrong on studio sizes then. The deluxe studios are 374. I had a hard time watching him on this one.
Oh yeah. Good call!!! I forgot to mention that. He is wrong and that as well. He kept saying that they're smaller than the studios at the villas, but actually the villas are smaller than these rooms. He also questioned whether or not they're queen beds or perhaps they're just fulls. They are absolutely queen beds.

correcaminos

Oh yeah. Good call!!! I forgot to mention that. He is wrong and that as well. He kept saying that they're smaller than the studios at the villas, but actually the villas are smaller than these rooms. He also questioned whether or not they're queen beds or perhaps they're just fulls. They are absolutely queen beds.
After about the 5th time I swear he said that it got to me. I thought he was wrong and the rooms were similar to Polynesian sizes. I caught that about the full beds too. I'm halfway through and struggling to watch.

BrianLo

After about the 5th time I swear he said that it got to me. I thought he was wrong and the rooms were similar to Polynesian sizes. I caught that about the full beds too. I'm halfway through and struggling to watch.

I also want to state that it was kind of painful to watch. Tim really needs to do the slightest amount of research...

Pointing out things was fine, but the info was frankly more incorrect than it was right.

Anyways, I like the rooms and they will personally be my preference. I'm reading some conflicting information that the beverage cooler is actually fridge temperature after all?

Edit: Yes, apparently they are actually fridge temperature.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
He got a few things wrong for sure. Building 9 is now 100% individual resort studios. There are no suites and there are no one bedrooms. Not in building 9.

Also, surprisingly, he missed the Mary Poppins touches that are present in the lobby if building 9. They are absolutely there.

And eventually he landed correctly, what he toured at DVC was a dedicated two bedroom. Not a one-bedroom connecting to a studio aka lockoff.
Thanks for clarifying about the suites. I was confused when he said there were some in the building.

He also missed a big picture in the studio of the park from Poppins Returns, I think it was in the bathroom too. He paused on it but didn’t comment. I assume he maybe hasn’t seen MPR.

correcaminos

I also want to state that it was kind of painful to watch. Tim really needs to do the slightest amount of research...

Pointing out things was fine, but the info was frankly more incorrect than it was right.

Anyways, I like the rooms and they will personally be my preference. I'm reading some conflicting information that the beverage cooler is actually fridge temperature after all?

Edit: Yes, apparently they are actually fridge temperature.
That's the issue with beverage coolers. When running great they can be below 40 per gun tests (though I prefer non digital fridge thermometers) but they sre rated for 41 degrees and above which is above the safe zone of 34-38 degrees. From guests reporting at Disney, most of the time they are not okay and food will spoil.

This vlogger annoys me anyway usually lol

Thanks for clarifying about the suites. I was confused when he said there were some in the building.

He also missed a big picture in the studio of the park from Poppins Returns, I think it was in the bathroom too. He paused on it but didn’t comment. I assume he maybe hasn’t seen MPR.
I kept screaming in my head "In the bathroom you missed one!" 😁 some of the comments on his youtube channel pointed out tons of his mistakes and called him out for not researching before going.

Disone

That's the issue with beverage coolers. When running great they can be below 40 per gun tests (though I prefer non digital fridge thermometers) but they sre rated for 41 degrees and above which is above the safe zone of 34-38 degrees. From guests reporting at Disney, most of the time they are not okay and food will spoil.

I kept screaming in my head "In the bathroom you missed one!" 😁 some of the comments on his youtube channel pointed out tons of his mistakes and called him out for not researching before going.
Yeah, if you point the temperature meter gun at the back wall of a beverage cooler, which is basically a thin layer of ice, of course it's going to say it's cold. The ice is cold. It doesn't mean the air in the beverage cooler. Is that cold.

correcaminos

Yeah, if you point the temperature meter gun at the back wall of a beverage cooler, which is basically a thin layer of ice, of course it's going to say it's cold. The ice is cold. It doesn't mean the air in the beverage cooler. Is that cold.
Someone said they saw one at 32 which truthfully is bad too but likely it was a gun. After having a fridge die on me I trust old school thermometers more. You need full ambient temps with the door closed on it for a while. No way I would trust a temp gun for food spoilage. Sadly some are convinced it is safe. I'd rather share pics of actual thermometers in said coolers.

Chip Chipperson

I had 2 thoughts when watching:

1. He had some bad information (points needed and room sizes, for example) that should have been confirmed before he made the video (or, won't case, had corrections added during editing).

2. Why did Disney invite media to tour/review the rooms and not have some sort of fact sheet to hand out before the tours to ensure that the correct information was reported?

correcaminos

I had 2 thoughts when watching:

1. He had some bad information (points needed and room sizes, for example) that should have been confirmed before he made the video (or, won't case, had corrections added during editing).

2. Why did Disney invite media to tour/review the rooms and not have some sort of fact sheet to hand out before the tours to ensure that the correct information was reported?
To be fair a lot of info is out there. I put this more on Tim for not caring to learn about the rooms. It's like he made it up on the fly. Makes me think he pretends to know DVC when he really doesn't.

Not sure fact sheets on the rooms would have saved saved him from his wrong assumptions. Full disclosure this vlogger has annoyed me in the past with things said (foot in mouth more than once) so I'm not terribly positive on him anyway.

sndral

With fewer amenities, I'm kind of surprised that these new Resort Studio rooms are the same amount of points as the standard studio. I would have expected them to be 1-2 points cheaper similar to how AKL has the Value Studio category for the smaller studios (although I suppose that would have reduced the number of new points DVC could sell to go along with this additional room inventory, so that's probably the reason why they'rethe same points per night). It will be interesting to see how quickly these get booked up compared to the standard studios.
There are 202 ‘new’ resort studios in BPK v. 47 deluxe studios in the original VGF building, so I’ll take deluxe studios book faster for a $1,000 Alex.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It's hard to believe that they can do such a nice job with these rooms, yet completely botch the Contemporary room refurb.
There MAY be a very basic reason. The basic construction of the original Contemporary.
Unlike the current Hotels? The Contemporary was built with "pods". I have to believe that the basic architecture severely limits what WDW can DO with it. Consider Electrical and Water runs, or room dimension alterations :(.

correcaminos

There MAY be a very basic reason. The basic construction of the original Contemporary.
Unlike the current Hotels? The Contemporary was built with "pods". I have to believe that the basic architecture severely limits what WDW can DO with it. Consider Electrical and Water runs, or room dimension alterations :(.
Polynesian didn't suffer the same fate....

James Alucobond

The problem with the Contemporary renovation isn't the room size or plumbing. It's that the color scheme is a bit off-putting, several of the finishes and furnishings come off as cheap, and the IP details are poorly implemented (crudely rendered decals in closets and dressers, ugly curtains, etc.). Some of it literally feels like something you'd find on Pinterest.

The Grand Floridian, by contrast, feels more like the elements of the room are things Mary Poppins might "pick"; it's not just trading on character iconography outside of places where it makes sense, like in the toille and wall art.

Disone

I don't really think the modular construction ("pods" as you call them) of Disney's contemporary resort is really that much of a factor. The original buildings at the Polynesian were also modular construction. They're actually the same rooms as the Tower rooms at the contemporary. In each case, the contemporary and the Polynesian, have both gone through several renovations in their history prior to their most recent Moana and Incredibles themed overlays. The Incredibles just wasn't executed greatly. Moana was a rather easy fit into the Polynesian, but I'm not really sure. The same could be said for the incredibles into the contemporary. I feel like that was very forced and it shows. Just my opinion.

Chip Chipperson

To be fair a lot of info is out there. I put this more on Tim for not caring to learn about the rooms. It's like he made it up on the fly. Makes me think he pretends to know DVC when he really doesn't.

Not sure fact sheets on the rooms would have saved saved him from his wrong assumptions. Full disclosure this vlogger has annoyed me in the past with things said (foot in mouth more than once) so I'm not terribly positive on him anyway.

True. They're not a good source for WDW news, but they usually don't pretend to be. In fairness to him about the points, he said that part after he had spoken to someone staying in one of the new rooms so either those people gave him bad information or he misunderstood what they meant. The room size issue seems like he pulled it out of thin air and I honestly don't know why he would have assumed that the new rooms are smaller - especially since he had the chance to ask the DVC representative hosting the room tour.

lazyboy97o

The modules are more of an asset. They were manufactured so they are a lot more consistent than rooms you would find in typical construction. It’s really no more of a limitation than typical methods. Moving plumbing is always a pain but it’s been reconfigured in the modules. Even recently at the Polynesian they changed some of the accessible rooms which involved moving plumbing and electrical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom