News Disney Vacation Club Announces Expansion at The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

SteveAZee

This is all a bit silly. No one is calling for the removal of air-conditioning or otherwise creating an accurate historical recreation of 1890s Floridian hotels. But these rooms are barely themed - if you showed them to me and told me they were from a WDW hotel, I MIGHT get it based it on the first image, but I also might guess Old Key West. These aren’t distinct.

If you want clean, contemporary hotel rooms, there are hundreds of much cheaper (more luxurious) resorts right outside the gates. A big part of staying at a WDW resort was supposed to be the themed rooms - not slathered with stencils of Moana or featuring authentic chamber pots, but clever and extensive theming.
Verily.

James Alucobond

If you want clean, contemporary hotel rooms, there are hundreds of much cheaper (more luxurious) resorts right outside the gates. A big part of staying at a WDW resort was supposed to be the themed rooms - not slathered with stencils of Moana or featuring authentic chamber pots, but clever and extensive theming.
A big part of staying at the resort is the themed resort, not necessarily the room you sleep in. I like to swim amongst lava rock, sit on the beaches, hang out in the tiki bar, go to luaus, look out across the bungalows on the lagoon, take in the tropical ambiance, and wander amongst the torches at night at the Polynesian, but I don't want my room to be so invested in the theme that it feels dated, tired, or dull. Then I really don't feel like I got my money's worth. While they could certainly be doing a better job with the rooms (particularly on the forced IP and ugly decal front), I don't think the majority of guests want, say, a room that feels like a direct extension of the style of the Polynesian lobby. It's a fun aesthetic to inhabit as a public space, but it's not all that broadly appealing in a bedroom, though I suppose rattan is having a bit of a mini-comeback.

Casper Gutman

A big part of staying at the resort is the themed resort, not necessarily the room you sleep in. I like to swim amongst lava rock, sit on the beaches, hang out in the tiki bar, go to luaus, look out across the bungalows on the lagoon, take in the tropical ambiance, and wander amongst the torches at night at the Polynesian, but I don't want my room to be so invested in the theme that it feels dated, tired, or dull. Then I really don't feel like I got my money's worth. While they could certainly be doing a better job with the rooms (particularly on the forced IP and ugly decal front), I don't think the majority of guests want, say, a room that feels like a direct extension of the style of the Polynesian lobby. It's a fun aesthetic to inhabit as a public space, but it's not all that broadly appealing in a bedroom, though I suppose rattan is having a bit of a mini-comeback.
I just don’t understand this. Even on vacation, I spend a lot of time in the room - I even sleep there sometimes. I want it to be totally unique, something I can’t get anywhere else. I really don’t care if it’s stylish or in line with current design philosophies - if I cared about those things, I don’t think I’d be the sort of person who spends their vacations at theme parks. Besides, if I did care about those things, I could get them outside a theme resorts gates for much cheaper.

And there is absolutely nothing about theming that should be “dated, tired, or dull.” Actually, it’s spaces like the GF pictured here that are dull. As for dated and tired, WDW should exist largely outside of current trends. It should have the confidence to be timeless, a transportation. The execs inability to understand this gets us stores like the confectionary and rooms like this. Honestly, the defense that is emerging - I want theming, but not in stores or rooms (or restaurants) -confuses me a lot. Why go to a theme park?

When I shifted from staying at WDW to Uni about a decade ago, one of the things that bothered me is that, while the public spaces at Portofino were wonderfully themed (and the prices a fraction of Disney’s), that theming didn’t carry as fully into the rooms as at WDW. It’s very nice of WDW to make sure that’s no longer an issue.

Disone

When I shifted from staying at WDW to Uni about a decade ago, one of the things that bothered me is that, while the public spaces at Portofino were wonderfully themed (and the prices a fraction of Disney’s), that theming didn’t carry as fully into the rooms as at WDW. It’s very nice of WDW to make sure that’s no longer an issue.
Agree. Q: You know who can do a better Marriott style room or a greater Hilton style room at a lower price then what Disney will offer. A: Marriott and Hilton.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I just don’t understand this. Even on vacation, I spend a lot of time in the room - I even sleep there sometimes. I want it to be totally unique, something I can’t get anywhere else. I really don’t care if it’s stylish or in line with current design philosophies - if I cared about those things, I don’t think I’d be the sort of person who spends their vacations at theme parks. Besides, if I did care about those things, I could get them outside a theme resorts gates for much cheaper.

And there is absolutely nothing about theming that should be “dated, tired, or dull.” Actually, it’s spaces like the GF pictured here that are dull. As for dated and tired, WDW should exist largely outside of current trends. It should have the confidence to be timeless, a transportation. The execs inability to understand this gets us stores like the confectionary and rooms like this. Honestly, the defense that is emerging - I want theming, but not in stores or rooms (or restaurants) -confuses me a lot. Why go to a theme park?

Give me a break. That's what you see HERE?

There's no pleasing you if you don't like this.

FAi9ZbaXEAMcHgc.jpeg

TrojanUSC

Give me a break. That's what you see HERE?

There's no pleasing you if you don't like this.

View attachment 590214

I dislike the inclusion of Moana in the rooms at the Polynesian and think the Contemporary rooms are tacky and unbecoming of a deluxe hotel. However, THIS is how you make rooms feel current while still embracing the theme of the resort.

James Alucobond

I just don’t understand this.
What's not to understand? I absolutely want a resort with common areas that are fully thematically transportive and conveniently located relative to the parks I want to visit, but I want a room that feels modern and luxe (please don't @ me here; I know Disney's not nailing that). I'm not in dire need of a synesthetic overload as I lay in bed or change my clothes. I want a nice, clean retreat from the hustle and bustle of the parks. It should have some of the same visual motifs, but I don't care if it's anachronistic or much more subtle. I can literally open the window, sit on the balcony, or step out the door if I want more of the resort theming.

You clearly want something different with full-on theming from start to finish, and that's fine. I just think that the majority of guests would prefer their expensive rooms be obviously expensive even if it would technically be more thematically consistent for their room to look like a tiki hut. I do think more heavily themed rooms should exist, but I think more as an optional room type similar to the way the Princess Royal Rooms at Port Orleans are set aside.

Honestly, the defense that is emerging - I want theming, but not in stores or rooms (or restaurants) -confuses me a lot. Why go to a theme park?

I said nothing about shops, restaurants, or Universal here and don't particularly care to get into them in yet another thread.

Disone

Isn’t this discussing the DVC rooms at GF? In which case they’re supposed to be a home from home. Not a hotel room. Which is why they go lighter on theming than they do on the hotel rooms.
I don't know.... Is that the plan or is that the excuse?

The african theme entends into the villas at DAKL.

So they can be themed. Dare I say I think they should be themed. They are not my actual home. They are my DISNEY "home away from home".

I want a little disney magic inside my villa.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't know.... Is that the plan or is that the excuse?

The african theme entends into the villas at DAKL.

So they can be themed. Dare I say I think they should be themed. They are not my actual home. They are my DISNEY "home away from home".

I want a little disney magic inside my villa.
A little, sure. Some hidden mickeys, some artwork etc.

If they dare put Incredible decals into the closets at Bay Lake during the 2024 refurb, I’ll have something to say to DVC.

nickys

Premium Member
Frankly I'm waiting for the DVC on the Galactic Starport (oh yeah... you think it's a silly, nosensical idea now...)
Reports are that the early booking for the StarCruiser for DVC members actually does stipulate one person must pay using DVC points. The rest of the family can be paid for in cash. We have to wait until October 7th to find out how many points.

Skywise

Reports are that the early booking for the StarCruiser for DVC members actually does stipulate one person must pay using DVC points. The rest of the family can be paid for in cash. We have to wait until October 7th to find out how many points.
lol - I was trying to joke that they're going to add a new timeshare building of rooms :p
(Actually... I could see them trying to do a "starport hotel" where you can stay while "waiting for your starcruiser to dock" :D )

Skywise

I know some have other opinions, but I am personally fine with the rooms being contemporary with a decently sizeable nod to the period and style of the resort through fixtures, finishes, and decor. If I wanted to go to a historic hotel, I would do so. At Disney, I want the charm of the environs but the conveniences and cleanliness of a modern room.
I completely get that and I'm not saying I want an ACTUAL Victorian room (I've stayed in 'vintage' rooms in Vegas, no thank you :p )
More like it's a "slider of theming" of reality to modern day aesthetics with no theming (I'll avoid using 'Contemporary' here - ba-dum)
I'd put the original GF around the 75% mark on that.
The new Contemporary and Polynesian are close to 99% by my judgement.
I'd put the new GF rooms around 90%.

The rooms themselves should be part of the experience and show like being at the parks as was Walt's original dream. Ironically the Galactic Starcruiser (which has no basis in reality!) looks like it'll be about 40%! That's my ultimate point here. It's not that the poly rooms are BAD for a hotel, they're nice. But I can get nice elsewhere for a lot cheaper (and actually NICER rooms for a lot cheaper) I've stayed in a suite at the Bellagio for a FRACTION of the basic room rates at the Poly!

James Alucobond

The rooms themselves should be part of the experience and show like being at the parks as was Walt's original dream. Ironically the Galactic Starcruiser (which has no basis in reality!) looks like it'll be about 40%! That's my ultimate point here.
The resort should be part of the park experience, but that doesn’t mean your room has to be a gimmicky showpiece. The original rooms at the Polynesian were simply lovely hotel rooms for the time with themed bedspreads and headboards, a color scheme and some textures consistent with the rest of the resort, and, like, a table lamp very vaguely reminiscent of a pineapple, if I recall correctly. Not terribly different from what you get today, ignoring the IP invasion.

It's not that the poly rooms are BAD for a hotel, they're nice. But I can get nice elsewhere for a lot cheaper (and actually NICER rooms for a lot cheaper) I've stayed in a suite at the Bellagio for a FRACTION of the basic room rates at the Poly!
The reasons why they can get away with overcharging should be clear, and it doesn't have anything to do with how "themed" the rooms are or should be. Just as you say that you could stay at the Bellagio for a nicer room, so too could you stay at a real Polynesian bungalow for a vastly more authentic experience.

eddie104

To be honest I saw a video of the current rooms and these changes are not that dramatic. Also it seems like they kept some of the original theming just with minor changes here and there.

castlecake2.0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom