Tusker House, Cape May Cafe and more dining returns to Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?
I think they might have lost their chef, or, they're not allowed to have buffets back yet.

JIMINYCR

We were disapointed in some of the dining we encountered on our recent trip and if it stays the same we will certainly adjust how we dine at Disney on return trips. Saying that, when we returned home and started dining out at our favorite local restaurants, we found that even they have scaled down their menu choices and many favorite dishes have disappeared. We will be keeping a watch on dining reviews and see how Disney responds to a return to normal. They certainly will lose our money that we pay out for dining if things remain the same.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We were disapointed in some of the dining we encountered on our recent trip and if it stays the same we will certainly adjust how we dine at Disney on return trips. Saying that, when we returned home and started dining out at our favorite local restaurants, we found that even they have scaled down their menu choices and many favorite dishes have disappeared. We will be keeping a watch on dining reviews and see how Disney responds to a return to normal. They certainly will lose our money that we pay out for dining if things remain the same.
We were also disappointed on our last trip. Everything tasted like it had spent a few hours under a heat lamp. The meat was all dry and the sides were all congealed. We ended up going to chipotle our third night and it was AMAZING to have juicy meat and fresh rice 😂😂 and it costs a heck of a lot less. The food at Disney our last trip was just gross.

Last edited:

GaBoy

We were also disappointed on our last trip. Everything tasted like it had spent a few hours under a heat lamp. The meat was all dry and the sides were all congealed. We ended up going to chipotle our third night and it was AMAZING to have juicy meat and fresh rice 😂😂 and it costs a heck of a lot less. The food at Disney our last trip was just gross.
I have a gulf of time between my first visit in 1975 and my becoming acquainted with it as a Grandpa in 2016. So, for those folks here with way more experience, has Disney ever been that great where food is concerned? I mean if most meals weren't at Disney, how would they stack up to a steak you grill or a restaurant near your home? Even restaurants in Orlando off property?

UNCgolf

I have a gulf of time between my first visit in 1975 and my becoming acquainted with it as a Grandpa in 2016. So, for those folks here with way more experience, has Disney ever been that great where food is concerned? I mean if most meals weren't at Disney, how would they stack up to a steak you grill or a restaurant near your home? Even restaurants in Orlando off property?

There was a period of time where Disney had some truly excellent restaurants. They still have a few, but the number is much smaller. The last time I ate at Flying Fish it was still very good and in line with higher end restaurants in big cities, but it wasn't quite as good as it was the first time I ate there -- it's one of the few that are still very good. California Grill probably makes that list too, but I wasn't all that impressed by my last meal there. Victoria and Albert's and Takumi Tei are their own thing, but they're also priced much higher than any other Disney restaurant.

Right now, you're much better off eating at Disney Springs than eating anywhere in the parks/resorts with a handful of exceptions.

Last edited:

MRGEFF

I absolutely love the Boma breakfast buffet. Make sure to go once every trip.
Boma is my absolute favorite! YUMMM! Every time there, I say "I'm going to eat in moderation" but that gets throw out the door as soon as the server says "Help yourself"

TrojanUSC

Just saw the Tusker House is reopening, which was such exciting news. It is our favorite breakfast spot on property. Used to have a great buffet with all types of food. I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?

I'll never understand the appeal of the family style breakfasts ('Ohana, Cape May, Tusker, etc). It's the same powdered eggs, defrosted tater dots and greasy bacon or sausage you can get at any of the resort food courts for a fraction of the price. At least the dinner options at those places venture into being somewhat interesting and thematically appropriate.

Tomi-Rocket

🙋🏼‍♀️

thomas998

No, it's not. It's just like other Disney After Hours events in which the price is to be in an 'empty' park and hit many, many rides. This one just happens to have some Halloween additions.

There's a huge difference in the number of guests in the park.
Sorry but you are wrong, it not only lets the guests in early just like the halloween party. But also includes the trick or treat stations. Invites guests to wear costumes. Pretty much everything you had at the halloween party minus the fireworks parades and as many hours.. all at a much higher price. Now if you want to pretend it is just extended hours then it is even more grossly overpriced.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry but you are wrong, it not only lets the guests in early just like the halloween party. But also includes the trick or treat stations. Invites guests to wear costumes. Pretty much everything you had at the halloween party minus the fireworks parades and as many hours.. all at a much higher price. Now if you want to pretend it is just extended hours then it is even more grossly overpriced.
No, you are completely wrong.

DAH and the Parties have always been distinct things. When they started DAHs, no one said, "Oh, that's just a Party Night Lite!"

One is replacing the other. You can't morph one thing into another when that another thing had already existed for years.

thomas998

No, you are completely wrong.

DAH and the Parties have always been distinct things. When they started DAHs, no one said, "Oh, that's just a Party Night Lite!"

One is replacing the other. You can't morph one thing into another when that another thing had already existed for years.
No you are deluding yourself. They didn't have extra hour events at this time of the year, the extra hour events were typically early summer when they had no other holliday to tag an extra ticket event onto. This Boo Bash crap has more things going on that were part of the Halloween parties than any extra hour event ever did. If you are too clueless to understand what this is, then there is no hope to enlighten you. Enjoy your delusions.

phillip9698

Disney has to be salivating at the prospect of homogenizing the character meals across the parks and resorts while still charging a premium. They used to have some unique items at Tusker House which is why it was one of our faves.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

Honestly we've never been to a signifier restaurant except the castle. And the food there is excellent. And Tusker WAS excellent before they gutted anything ethnic from the menu.

But even the chicken nuggets used to be pretty good. The half chicken used to be good. The quick service things used to be good. It was this just this last trip that those things disappointed us so much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, it's not. It's just like other Disney After Hours events in which the price is to be in an 'empty' park and hit many, many rides. This one just happens to have some Halloween additions.

There's a huge difference in the number of guests in the park.
"This isn't a crappy breakfast buffet... It's a family style meal not intended to be compared with the previous menu..."

(offered in the very same space, in lieu of the real thing)

It's the exact same level of non-sense justification of "don't compare them, they are different!!!" - Still a pi ss poor product being substituted for the expectation guests were set for.

They offer something with less value, for similar or more money, in the same spot, with no option for the old thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get that even with things improving that buffets are essentially still non existent but when I saw the menu and price point, I was absolutely blown away. So $42 plus tax and gratuity for basically scrambled eggs, waffles, bacon and some pastries? Still no personal encounters with characters even though they're walking around. So for my family of 5 (kids are all over 12) it will cost us between $225 - $250 with tax and tip.....anyone else think this is just madness?
It's complete garbage. It's basically what you get from a decent hot breakfast at a hotel. Disney is getting flat out insulting with these offers... hopefully the drone customers snap out of it and stand up to this BS.

Lilofan

YOLO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom