News Disney College Program begins again

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why, though? They cost no money to keep on the payroll (save two comp tickets a year) and fill empty shifts during peak seasons.

disney wants to reduce staff because anything of “longterm financial liability” is a “check -“ in Wall Street terms and that’s what employees always are. It’s just a way to streamline.

college program in what it is: completely advantageous to Disney in 99% of the ways.

castlecake2.0

Why, though? They cost no money to keep on the payroll (save two comp tickets a year) and fill empty shifts during peak seasons.
They do cost the company money though behind the scenes, I can’t get into numbers, but it’s more cost effective to get PT and FT to work extra when needed than to have a large pool of seasonals only working a few weeks a year.

Lilofan

They do cost the company money though behind the scenes, I can’t get into numbers, but it’s more cost effective to get PT and FT to work extra when needed than to have a large pool of seasonals only working a few weeks a year.
You are forgetting the big money maker - CPs paying rent to CP housing. Try getting PT and FT to work late shifts . That is where the CPs come in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are forgetting the big money maker - CPs paying rent to CP housing. Try getting PT and FT to work late shifts . That is where the CPs come in.

that’s not a thing...just like the big money isn’t coming from the hotel rates.

cps are “profitable” for these reasons:
1. No benefits
2. Work jobs/hours the full time staff may not want
3. They are basic playing at “semi-adult” summer camp...which means they have no responsibilities with consequences and can play at Disney and spend what little money they get paid - plus often what their parents subsidize them - at the Orlando tourists spots...90% Disney.
4. Those parents? They come to visit...guess where their money goes?
5. The “boomerang effect”. Once they go back to state college pa...life isn’t as “exciting”. So many fly back and then work In the lower ranks. Highly educated, unattached, little responsibly adults in the Healthiest state of their lives adding oomph to a huge, logjammed labor beast. Don’t discount how 100% Disney’s advantage that is.
6. The federal government used to subsidize the wages...don’t know if that’s still true. That’s why it’s an “internship” with zero characteristics of one.

the downside? The 1% disadvantage. You have to account for watching grown babies/ a herd of cats. Small price to pay.

That’s not really a money maker at the end of the day, it’s more about having the flexible labor

Thank you. Understanding Disney economics is a bit of a lost art/high expectation.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can someone tell me if the summer session is the same time frame as a summer semester?

it never Was...it’s mostly set dates that may or may not correspond with college calendars.

students often have to leave/return early or late and work it out through the “internship” offices.

tpac24

it never Was...it’s mostly set dates that may or may not correspond with college calendars.

students often have to leave/return early or late and work it out through the “internship” offices.
Thanks for the info. My daughter is interested for next summer but the 4 month time frame they discuss on their info page wouldn't work. She has to be back at school at the beginning of August for sorority recruitment workshops/recruitment and starts school shortly after that. Oh well this may have to wait until she graduates. It could be a nice break before starting Law school.

spock8113

The college program is incredibly important for so many reasons. Glad to hear of it's return.
I also heard that Vista's is going bye-bye?

TransportationGuy

Cheap labor? Profit margin on housing?
For Disney and quite frankly the Orlando area as a whole, it does bring great benefits economically. It creates vast number of cast that are loyal to the company for at least a little while. Then, many of those same people choose to stay in Orlando, but seek higher wages in other industries. This is one reason (albeit a small one) why places like Lake Nona and the future rebuilt downtown will be able to find at least some of the qualified labor they need locally to meet the demand of the large companies that are relocating here. DCP is a huge part of what contributes to Orlando’s cultural melting pot and labor pool. If you go to just able any employer in Orange County, you’ll find at least one former DCP. In my office of six employees, I have two. Lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For Disney and quite frankly the Orlando area as a whole, it does bring great benefits economically. It creates vast number of cast that are loyal to the company for at least a little while. Then, many of those same people choose to stay in Orlando, but seek higher wages in other industries. This is one reason (albeit a small one) why places like Lake Nona and the future rebuilt downtown will be able to find at least some of the qualified labor they need locally to meet the demand of the large companies that are relocating here. DCP is a huge part of what contributes to Orlando’s cultural melting pot and labor pool. If you go to just able any employer in Orange County, you’ll find at least one former DCP. In my office of six employees, I have two. Lol

this is the most positive take on the boomerang effect I’ve ever seen/heard. I’m very impressed.

Lilofan

I'm sure your fellow peers ( former cast ) that are at your office still use the Disney point!

Amidala

I’ll definitely pay more mind to these instances.

and I didn’t say I didn’t believe it...I think that may not be as widespread as you may believe.
Though to be fair...nothing stops a mager from Maggie’...

anyway...I’m well aware of bad/privileged behavior...people act nuts there. On the whole...usually they’re outliers on the whole.
Tossing some more anecdotal evidence into the ring here (not to discount the experiences of others, of course!), but as a CM currently working at the parks, I agree. I've heard some extreme horror stories from coworkers and have definitely encountered some rude guests myself over the past few months, but A) It's a rarity, not a daily occurrence and B) Unfortunately, there were difficult guests before the pandemic and there will be difficult guests after. Mask policies are just one recent addition to a HUGE existing pool of reasons guests use to excuse nasty behavior. In my exp. the typical response when you remind a guest to put their mask on/pull their mask up over their nose/etc. is either polite agreement or mild annoyance, but usually they comply. Or sometimes they walk away and pull it back down the second your back is turned but 🤷‍♀️

If I were a prospective CP at the moment, my concerns would be: 1) CPs are apparently no longer allowed to choose their role, 2) Month-wide blockouts for the past two months don't bode well for the summer, 3) Absence of nighttime spectaculars, holiday events, shuttered restaurants and resorts, 4) Taking a pay cut compared to PT/FT CMs in the same roles. PT/FT will be up to $15 ($15.75 in roles with the premium) by October of this year, and IIRC CMs are now making $13.

Also, is it true Disney is eliminating phone interviews? On my CPs I was able to request a role and location in my interviews, and got what I asked for both times. It seems like incoming CPs will be going in 100% blind on both fronts.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Tossing some more anecdotal evidence into the ring here (not to discount the experiences of others, of course!), but as a CM currently working at the parks, I agree. I've heard some extreme horror stories from coworkers and have definitely encountered some rude guests myself over the past few months, but A) It's a rarity, not a daily occurrence and B) Unfortunately, there were difficult guests before the pandemic and there will be difficult guests after. Mask policies are just one recent addition to a HUGE existing pool of reasons guests use to excuse nasty behavior. In my exp. the typical response when you remind a guest to put their mask on/pull their mask up over their nose/etc. is either polite agreement or mild annoyance, but usually they comply. Or sometimes they walk away and pull it back down the second your back is turned but 🤷‍♀️

If I were a prospective CP at the moment, my concerns would be: 1) CPs are apparently no longer allowed to choose their role, 2) Month-wide blockouts for the past two months don't bode well for the summer, 3) Absence of nighttime spectaculars, holiday events, shuttered restaurants and resorts, 4) Taking a pay cut compared to PT/FT CMs in the same roles. PT/FT will be up to $15 ($15.75 in roles with the premium) by October of this year, and IIRC CMs are now making $13.

Also, is it true Disney is eliminating phone interviews? On my CPs I was able to request a role and location in my interviews, and got what I asked for both times. It seems like incoming CPs will be going in 100% blind on both fronts.

excellent info....

I didn’t realize they were going to do away with the “choice”...
If that’s the case...look for CP to be much more of a meat grinder than it was...and that’s common.

no hungover lifeguards anymore?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom