Creations Shop opening this summer

mightynine

I'm going to sound like I'm going against the grain, considering I'm usually the snarky one, but after seeing more pictures - it looks fine.

MouseGear in the end, in my opinion, was a mess of wayfinding and the theming was lazy, because no one knows what the heck to do with Epcot then and now, so let's just throw up a bunch of gears - because gears are technology! - and put a Mickey reference on it - because Mickey is Disney! - and cover up all the windows - because....well, I don't know why! - and call it a day.

Personally, I would've dialed back the overt Mickey theming, had some more Spaceship Earth-esque elements to tie it to the general area like what you see in the Epcot merch section, and had a better name than Creations Shop because it just kinda sounds like a shrug.

But the overall design is fine and probably won't be dated quickly. The theme of World Celebration or whatever they're calling that area is so vague, a vague overall theme for the shop fits.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sorry, I’m just not impressed with (the overuse of?) color-changing LED’s. My daughter has strings of them in her room. They seem to be relying on them as a wow factor, and I just don't get it.

James Alucobond

Sorry, I’m just not impressed with (the overuse of?) color-changing LED’s. My daughter has strings of them in her room. They seem to be relying on them as a wow factor, and I just don't get it.
It’s about the overall effect. Not saying you have to like what they’ve done here, but you’re basically saying that lighting is never impressive because anyone can buy lightbulbs, which is silly. There are many impressive ways to implement common technology.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s about the overall effect. Not saying you have to like what they’ve done here, but you’re basically saying that lighting is never impressive because anyone can buy lightbulbs, which is silly. There are many impressive ways to implement common technology.
Can you please go teach WDI how to do that? Because they ripped out one of the cooler lighting effects and are leaning heavily on color-changing LED’s with no rhyme or reason to them (at the moment, maybe it will change).

My goodness… can you imagine these LED’s synced to the former Innoventions music loop? 🥰

jrhwdw

So Happy with the Lighting in the Breezeway!!!! I actually saw the lights being tested on Sunday on Streaming The Magic Stream! It looked like Strobes then! Wonder if it'll interact with SSE starting 10-1?

hpyhnt 1000

I was going back and forth over this, too. On the one had, I loved the old breezeway lighting (don't ask why, I just did) so part of me is happy the new LEDs stay true to that look:

1631813903712.png

But then, like you, there's another part of me that thinks they're going overboard on the color changing; sometimes warm white is all you need.

And as much as I like the orderly rows of lights across the ceiling, I also wonder if a completely new look would have been better. Lighting has come a long way in 30 years and rows of exposed LED modules do seem a bit unimpressive. Would an unbroken strip of diffused edge lighting around the breezeway have looked better? Or maybe indirect lighting combined with some kind of ceiling art, like something playing off the colorful stripe motif we've seen on a lot of branding (and construction walls)? I don't know.

At least the red neon is gone. That stuff was terrible.

jrhwdw

I like the new lighting…just wait to you see SSE on 10/1! Epcot has a long term association with the rainbow motif thanks to Imagination and the Fountain of Nations. I actually approve of this. But, that’s just me.
That will be a huge moment for SSE/Epcot!!!!!!!
Question, will SSE/WDW Beacons Of Magic be turned on before sunset like the lighting now? Or do we get the Regular lighting we've had all along until a lighting moment like Frozen Holiday Wish/Castle Dream Lights?

ToTBellHop

That will be a huge moment for SSE/Epcot!!!!!!!
Question, will SSE/WDW Beacons Of Magic be turned on before sunset like the lighting now? Or do we get the Regular lighting we've had all along until a lighting moment like Frozen Holiday Wish/Castle Dream Lights?
I believe the lights will be on all evening. The Beacons have sporadic “shows”.

Brenthodge

So agree. They are overplayed. They’ve lost their novelty and I’m to the point that I cringe when I see them. When programmed creatively I guess they have their place, but it’s just become way to “there” to have any impact any more.
We found a new EPCOT icon!!

View attachment 587316

World Shopping
looks like the signage at WorldWalMart.

Poseidon Quest

Does anyone know if this store has a different music loop within it? I ask this as Mousegear had it's own loop at one point..

I went through yesterday and can't say that I even noticed any music because it was so loud in there. I've just consulted footage I took and I believe that the new Future World loop continues into the shop. It's difficult to tell over so much crowd noise, but it appears that it's the case.

wedenterprises

I like the new lighting…just wait to you see SSE on 10/1! Epcot has a long term association with the rainbow motif thanks to Imagination and the Fountain of Nations. I actually approve of this. But, that’s just me.
Agreed. Colour-changing gives them a nice tool. They can have a standard light if they choose, and then colour-change at special events, or during the beacons of magic etc.
Rainbow-theme is set throughout the new Epcot as well with the colour-changing ribbons at the entrance, the flags, SSE lighting, and all of the new branding. It supports what they're implementing park-wide.

Epcot isn't trying to be the modern tech-future showcase anymore (they let go of that dream when they got rid of SeaBase Alpha?). That flavour is still there, but overall it's something different. Thematically the colour-changing and rainbow motif works to support the new direction.

(With all that being said, I struggle to see how Guardians fits...but...yeah...)

wedenterprises

I went through yesterday and can't say that I even noticed any music because it was so loud in there. I've just consulted footage I took and I believe that the new Future World loop continues into the shop. It's difficult to tell over so much crowd noise, but it appears that it's the case.
New music sounds a bit more...bouncy? uptempo? To me it doesn't seem to be the entrance loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom