Creations Shop opening this summer

Haymarket2008

Any thoughts on what this area is? It appears to parallel the curve of the building. Is it infrastructure for lighting? Plantings? Something else? Is it some kind of a path?
View attachment 574679

That appears to be the foundations for planters. The concept art seems to indicate it.

Attachments

• world celebration.jpeg
    world celebration.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 131

michmousefan

That appears to be the foundations for planters. The concept art seems to indicate it.
Well, I recall Chapek making the joke about trees at his D23 thing... so yep, perhaps that's it. I'd imagine they would want to have *something* planted so when you look out of those expansive giant windows from the store, you see some green rather than the brown dirt fest that you would see now...

retr0gate

I've been a bit skeptical about this overhaul myself, but after reading through this thread I'm more angry with a majority of the people who call themselves "fans." We're literally being spoon fed something that's reminiscent of the parks original vision and aesthetic, and people are still unhappy. It's a gift shop - it's not going to be groundbreaking and, personally at least, I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect anything more than that (especially considering what we've seen so far is anything but a disappointment compared to what we're used to). Considering what used to occupy this space, I fail to see how this isn't an improvement. The name "Creations" isn't nearly as ridiculous as many people are playing it up to be.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit myself, as I'm not trying to praise Disney for doing the bare minimum. What bothers me is that a lot of the people here can't recognize a good thing when they see it, and then wonder why Disney won't cater to their personal wish list for the parks. If you're not a fan of the design, you're justified to think so. However, don't act like utilizing another character or slapping pavilion logos all over the place would make the theme any more captivating or inspired.

UNCgolf

The name "Creations" isn't nearly as ridiculous as many people are playing it up to be.

It's not named Creations, though, at least according to all of the Disney advertising. "Creations" as a name is fine -- a bit uninspired, but fine. They very specifically refer to it as Creations Shop every single time it's mentioned, and that's what makes it sound ridiculous. Throwing Shop on the end is just silly.

Hopefully, in the end, it will be shortened to just Creations and that's what will actually appear on all the signage. But at the moment all we have to go on is what Disney has said and they always call it Creations Shop.

Inspired Figment

I've been a bit skeptical about this overhaul myself, but after reading through this thread I'm more angry with a majority of the people who call themselves "fans." We're literally being spoon fed something that's reminiscent of the parks original vision and aesthetic, and people are still unhappy. It's a gift shop - it's not going to be groundbreaking and, personally at least, I think it's a bit ridiculous to expect anything more than that (especially considering what we've seen so far is anything but a disappointment compared to what we're used to). Considering what used to occupy this space, I fail to see how this isn't an improvement. The name "Creations" isn't nearly as ridiculous as many people are playing it up to be.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit myself, as I'm not trying to praise Disney for doing the bare minimum. What bothers me is that a lot of the people here can't recognize a good thing when they see it, and then wonder why Disney won't cater to their personal wish list for the parks. If you're not a fan of the design, you're justified to think so. However, don't act like utilizing another character or slapping pavilion logos all over the place would make the theme any more captivating or inspired.
Look.. I think we all can appreciate the design aesthetics and things going back to their roots. We’re willing to applaud them when they get things right.. though I’ll admit this particular forum can skew a bit more towards the skeptical & negative than most… Ultimately I think though, more are frustrated that the ‘theming’ is inconsistent or goes completely against the concept (Creations/Creativity) and design choices that tie directly back into what EPCOT ‘should’ be. Yes, we all know it’s a gift shop.. but little things like the theming not being focused on ‘complimenting’ ‘EPCOT or the ‘creations or creative process’ within EPCOT & instead the focus being ‘solely’ on the generic Film IP characters/stories & not ‘EPCOT’ itself I think points to a much larger problem with the overall vision for EPCOT’s renovation project. The blame falls mostly on upper management, not particuarly the imagineers who are being overly controlled & limited by them, having to shoehorn unrelated themes & IPs in there, not making much of an effort to keep the focus or tie it into ‘EPCOT’’s concepts ultimately compromises the rest of the project.

Last edited:

doctornick

If not though, I put the blame on current marketing.. as back in the day, even on the Wonderful World (of Color) with Walt Disney when they’d promote Disneyland. The focus was never specifically on their movie characters & stories, it was on the entire experience & anything/everything Disney was working on/creating at the time.

Right - and they could easily have a show on Disney+ or the Disney Channel (or both) to do some behind the scenes promotion of what they are doing in the parks. Which could help to promote non-IP attractions to potential guests so they'd be familiar with them.

Expo_Seeker40

While I love and miss EPCOT Center, I think we must realistically remember that the Centorium Shop was pretty dated when it finally closed. Also, hexagons in a curved store? The crazy carpet, overhead lighting in a caged grid. It also had character merchandise and character displays in the store.

I’m interested in seeing what the Creations Shop ultimately looks like and am happy with all the natural sunlight that’s coming back and new exterior color scheme.

It’s losing the fountain and CommuniCore West that really hurts me.

Attachments

• 2CCC7AD6-0A31-429F-BBE9-2CC202F0E778.jpeg
    2CCC7AD6-0A31-429F-BBE9-2CC202F0E778.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 134

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While I love and miss EPCOT Center, I think we must realistically remember that the Centorium Shop was pretty dated when it finally closed. Also, hexagons in a curved store? The crazy carpet, overhead lighting in a caged grid. It also had character merchandise and character displays in the store.

I’m interested in seeing what the Creations Shop ultimately looks like and am happy with all the natural sunlight that’s coming back and new exterior color scheme.

There will be a replacement show-fountain.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

One word - Refurb. Imagine Centorium today with LED lighting and a facelift. One of Eisner's more unforgivable offenses in that park, along with the insipid '94 rename and Horizons.

Centorium fit perfectly with EPCOT Center. Creations Shop fits perfectly with Bland Generic Industrial Any Store, USA. One was creative and invited you in with a futuristic, inquisitive look, the other needs a WDI mouthpiece to post multiple PR-written and approved Instagram posts to show how cool they want you to think it is and how inventive and creative WDI is being in bringing back what was.

Bocabear

HAs there been any sign of the new "Show Fountain" or "Wishing Tree" Whatever that is or even Dreamers Point?
If the shop is supposed to open by "summer" and the plaza walls all come down by the 50th a lot of this should already be in process... It takes WDW about a year to build a margarita kiosk...I don't see any of this high design spectacular new core of EPCOT being done any time soon...even with losing all the important aspects of the project.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
HAs there been any sign of the new "Show Fountain" or "Wishing Tree" Whatever that is or even Dreamers Point?
If the shop is supposed to open by "summer" and the plaza walls all come down by the 50th a lot of this should already be in process... It takes WDW about a year to build a margarita kiosk...I don't see any of this high design spectacular new core of EPCOT being done any time soon...even with losing all the important aspects of the project.
There's been no mention of the walls encompassing the "festival area" or the JoW being down by the 50th. Just with Creations being open and the walls moved so that people can get around to all sides of Creations. If JoW isn't supposed to be ready until 2022, then the walls will be up just as long.

The Wishing Tree has stopped being mentioned by Disney.

The fountain is still in the latest art.

Sir_Cliff

Hexagons was a late 70s mall trend that I absolutely love. It’s weird but it just seems to break up spaces from being rectangles while still providing some usable straight lines.
But that also indicates Centorium was inspired by late 70s malls. People seem very upset Creations is reminiscent of Apple Stores and contemporary shops they might be able to see outside of Disney, but I find it very hard to understand would would be thematically appropriate from that perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom