News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Vaccination Intentions Among Parents Of Children Currently Eligible For COVID-19 Vaccination. Among parents of children ages 12-17, for whom the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is currently authorized, 41% now say their child has received at least one dose of a vaccine.

That doesn’t read as most children to me.

I would also assume hesitancy will be higher with younger children.
No idea what you’re talking about. We don’t use surveys to measure how many have received a shot. We use data.
7A45E99E-C53E-4DFF-B6AB-0D1B7844717C.jpeg

Surveys are useful in younger groups. Roughly 7 in 10 parents report they will eventually vaccinate kids under 12. Somewhere around 30-40% immediately while the balance “wait and see” as has occurred in other groups.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

My only point is that I think people who are implying that Disney would never dare defy CDC guidance are making a huge assumption that is not supported by the facts. CDC guidance is not binding and Disney will absolutely practice "charitable interpretation" of the guidelines to make what they feel is the best business decision (i.e. whatever they can get away with from a PR perspective).

The CDC says you should cook beef to 145 degrees, but you can still order a rare stake at Le Cellier. The CDC's COVID guidance is no more binding than that.
Of course. And honestly, the vaccine is coming to kids very soon, so the timing will likely just “work out” and Disney can “wait” for kids while also just waiting for cases to drop.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I live in CT, with one of the highest vaccination rates in the country. Our Delta wave has been pretty minuscule. Not that this speaks to masking. But it does point to the importance of vaccinating many.
Hell yeah, vaccines work on an individual basis and they're damn near a miracle once you get up around 75% of adults fully vaccinated.

Yet communities like West Hartford just reissued a mask mandate in all public places anyways. It's completely backwards. Vaccines work A LOT and masks work, at best, a little. Forcing vaxxed people to mask anyways takes away one of the incentives that might appeal to the vax-skeptical.

ToTBellHop

Hell yeah, vaccines work on an individual basis and they're damn near a miracle once you get up around 75% of adults fully vaccinated.

Yet communities like West Hartford just reissued a mask mandate in all public places anyways. It's completely backwards. Vaccines work A LOT and masks work, at best, a little. Forcing vaxxed people to mask anyways takes away one of the incentives that might appeal to the vax-skeptical.
I agree with this. I am hoping to see changes in mandates in CT soon. Our case rates are not terrible. I’d hope the mandate goes away altogether once we can vaccinate down to kindergarten. No one will mask their 4 year olds anyway.

pdude81

*Whispers...* including the parts that have maintained mask mandates this whole time.

David Ige made the exact opposite decision as Ron DeSantis through every step of this pandemic, yet he still ended up with the same Delta wave as Florida. His state has 5,000 miles of ocean between them and California and they still couldn't keep Delta out. Virus gonna virus.
Sure, there is substantial transmission nationwide. However most states had dropped mask mandates until their levels went back up to CDC high transmissions levels, then they brought them back. And the ones with mask mandates tend to be the ones with higher vaccination rates, and still much lower covid cases per 100,00 compared to Florida, who has been in the red for months.

What masks seem to be good at is stopping unvaccinated people from going out in public as much. At least the ones I know are always complaining about it and they won't go to stores that have a mask sign on them. Also when people may have covid and are already having trouble breathing, the mask may help in deterrance for unnecessary activities in that case.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I agree with this. I am hoping to see changes in mandates in CT soon. Our case rates are not terrible. I’d hope the mandate goes away altogether once we can vaccinate down to kindergarten. No one will mask their 4 year olds anyway.
It shouldn't matter. The risk to those kindergartners is already that of a fully vaccinated, healthy 30 year old.

Trauma

No idea what you’re talking about. We don’t use surveys to measure how many have received a shot. We use data.
View attachment 588333
Surveys are useful in younger groups. Roughly 7 in 10 parents report they will eventually vaccinate kids under 12. Somewhere around 30-40% immediately while the balance “wait and see” as has occurred in other groups.
Well that is certainly not an overwhelming majority is it?

Also looking at that data it does appear hesitancy increases with younger age groups.

About a 7% difference between groups.

If a similar phenomenon carries over to the next age bracket it will true that “most” kids are unvaccinated.

ToTBellHop

It shouldn't matter. The risk to those kindergartners is already that of a fully vaccinated, healthy 30 year old.
Sure, but they still spread which closes schools. We need to keep a lid on cases until there is vaccine protection to avoid frequent closures and quarantines, neither of which are sustainable.

ToTBellHop

Well that is certainly not an overwhelming majority is it?

Also looking at that data it does appear hesitancy increases with younger age groups.

About a 7% difference between groups.

If a similar phenomenon carries over to the next age bracket it will true that “most” kids are unvaccinated.
You aren’t analyzing the data correctly. Numbers are higher in the 16-17 group because they have had longer access to the vaccine. That 12-15 rate is still increasing at a substantial rate. It is expected that eventually all age groups will exceed 70% vaccinated.

ToTBellHop

The problem is we have no leadership on this issue.

When does the mask mandate end ?

Should it be when children can get vaccinated?

Case numbers?

Cdc guidance ?

What Fauci has to say on CNN today?

Maybe it should be some impossible to decipher amalgamation of all these factors.

It’s turned into a shell game.
That is certainly true. Clear metrics would be wonderful. If they said, “we can remove mask mandates in schools once 70% are vaccinated,” you’d see shots in arms. And we know enough to know if we hit that level, society can function and hospitals won’t be overrun.

Lilofan

Hawaii never dropped their mask mandate and they literally gatekeep at the "border" so that you can't enter the state without proof of vaccination, a negative COVID test, or a 10 day quarantine. It didn't matter. Delta still got through, and it got through hard. It got through as hard as states that basically took no mitigation measures whatsoever.
Easy to assume that delta got through. The 40% of HI locals who are unvaccinated are not helping matters at all. They need to get vaccinated. Your questioning of HI never dropping the mask mandate doesn't tell the whole story.

Touchdown

If/When Florida goes to yellow (moderate transmission) then I think Disney will consider lifting the order, however Florida is still very much in the red (severe) range and more then double the upper limit of orange (substantial.) They are unlikely to get there prior to 10/1.

Disneyland, more specifically Orange County, CA however, may very well get there before 10/1. Watch to see what happens there to determine Disney’s plan.

Chi84

Premium Member
Based on their past actions, I personally would not be comfortable predicting what either the CDC or Disney will do regarding masks in the next few months. I would caution anyone planning a trip to take any such predictions with a huge grain of salt.

Trauma

At then end of the day when Florida’s numbers drop down to May/June levels Disney will be forced to either change policy or lose business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom