News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerMember

Dr. Sanjay Gupta....

After viewing the clip of Collins, Gupta stated, “It pains me to say this, but I see where she’s coming from — Sen. Collins — on this. I think for a long time, the concern was the CDC was providing guidance at the beginning of the pandemic that was not scientifically based. And as a result, we didn’t do things that we should have done in this country that could have greatly mitigated what has happened here. And now I think it’s almost a little bit of the reverse problem. The science is not necessarily being followed to the same extent. And as a result, we’re probably doing things that we don’t need to be doing. So, in the end, the CDC needs to be just a science-based organization. What does the science say? You don’t need to wear a mask outside. It’s just one of these things that, again, we’ve known this for some time.”

Gupta continued that while it’s difficult to paint the whole country with a broad brush on indoor masking due to different transmission rates in different areas and people in areas with high transmission probably need to be more cautious, “If you’re vaccinated, I don’t think you need to wear a mask indoors either. So, this is what the science is sort of showing, and I think the CDC just needs to probably say that. They’re erring on the side of caution. I get it. … But I think, at this point, it has to be very clear what the science shows and what you can do as a result of that.”

Interesting.

edit to add....

Not my words, so don't ban me for posting. Thanks.

Last edited:

danv3

“We’ve got to make that transition,” Fauci said. “If you are vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask outside. It would be a very unusual situation, if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask. But any other time, if you’re vaccinated and you’re outside, put aside your mask. You don’t have to wear it.”

ToTBellHop

“We’ve got to make that transition,” Fauci said. “If you are vaccinated, you don’t have to wear a mask outside. It would be a very unusual situation, if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask. But any other time, if you’re vaccinated and you’re outside, put aside your mask. You don’t have to wear it.”

The CDC desperately needs to act on this. No masks for anyone outdoors; none indoors for the vaccinated. Set a simple metric like, “once a state has vaccinated 70% of all adults, we no longer recommend any mask mandate.” This might help get more needles into arms.

We can’t expect grocery stores to check for vaccine cards, nor can we force children under 12 to wear masks until Christmas.

We need simple guidance based upon real science with easily-determined metrics guiding the path forward.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Dr. Sanjay Gupta....

After viewing the clip of Collins, Gupta stated, “It pains me to say this, but I see where she’s coming from — Sen. Collins — on this. I think for a long time, the concern was the CDC was providing guidance at the beginning of the pandemic that was not scientifically based. And as a result, we didn’t do things that we should have done in this country that could have greatly mitigated what has happened here. And now I think it’s almost a little bit of the reverse problem. The science is not necessarily being followed to the same extent. And as a result, we’re probably doing things that we don’t need to be doing. So, in the end, the CDC needs to be just a science-based organization. What does the science say? You don’t need to wear a mask outside. It’s just one of these things that, again, we’ve known this for some time.”

Gupta continued that while it’s difficult to paint the whole country with a broad brush on indoor masking due to different transmission rates in different areas and people in areas with high transmission probably need to be more cautious, “If you’re vaccinated, I don’t think you need to wear a mask indoors either. So, this is what the science is sort of showing, and I think the CDC just needs to probably say that. They’re erring on the side of caution. I get it. … But I think, at this point, it has to be very clear what the science shows and what you can do as a result of that.”

Interesting.

edit to add....

Not my words, so don't ban me for posting. Thanks.

If the CDC did come out and say "vaccinated people don't need to wear masks indoors", and assuming you still want to enforce masks for the un-vaccinated, then how much would that actually change things? Since in a lot of situations it would be difficult to tell who is and isn't vaccinated, businesses would just continue to require masks for everyone.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If the CDC did come out and say "vaccinated people don't need to wear masks indoors", and assuming you still want to enforce masks for the un-vaccinated, then how much would that actually change things? Since in a lot of situations it would be difficult to tell who is and isn't vaccinated, businesses would just continue to require masks for everyone.
The people that aren't vaccinated and aren't going to be, are ignoring any mask rules anyway. If you are vaccinated, then the chance that some unvaccinated idiot that doesn't wear a mask is going to infect you is almost nil, so don't worry about those people.

ToTBellHop

This is where you set a metric. Say, “once 70% of adults have been vaccinated...”

Dranth

if you were going into a completely crowded situation where people are essentially falling all over each other, then you wear a mask.
So WDW once they open the flood gates. I think that is why they will choose to stick with the masks longer than most places.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Still, nothing will really change.

If businesses can't decipher who is or isn't vaccinated, they won't drop restrictions.

CDC needs to state no masks outdoor period. For everyone.

It changes in a sense that business now have the backing of the CDC if they want to adjust their indoor mask policies. Up to them I guess...probably honor system.

Wendy Pleakley

If businesses can't decipher who is or isn't vaccinated, they won't drop restrictions.

Pretty much. Going only by the honour system, "no masks if vaccinated" just means "masks are optional".

WDW will likely err on the side of caution a little longer than other establishments.

However, it is at the the point that I question why anyone would book a trip to WDW prior to being vaccinated.

tpac24

I think a lot of business will drop it. Some have already in states where there is no mandate so this guidance will add to that. Let's face it people mask are no longer needed in any setting and we need to move past the fear that has been pushed for the last year.

tpac24

Pretty much. Going only by the honour system, "no masks if vaccinated" just means "masks are optional".

WDW will likely err on the side of caution a little longer than other establishments.

However, it is at the the point that I question why anyone would book a trip to WDW prior to being vaccinated.
We went twice before vaccination and enjoyed it.

Wendy Pleakley

We went twice before vaccination and enjoyed it.

To be clear, WDW appears to have been safe and I don't think going to WDW over the past year was a bad idea in most cases. Exceptions might be if one has to take three connecting flights or something.

Now that vaccines are readily available, I'd wait until fully vaccinated. There was a risk before that I'd be okay with, but why take the risk now?

ToTBellHop

To be clear, this will just provide cover for Disney’s next move: no masks outdoors. I expect indoor masks to remain through the summer at this point, if not longer. That depends on how society proceeds. There are no plans in the works to remove mask rules indoors at WDW.

tpac24

To be clear, this will just provide cover for Disney’s next move: no masks outdoors. I expect indoor masks to remain through the summer at this point, if not longer. That depends on how society proceeds. There are no plans in the works to remove mask rules indoors at WDW.
I think you are right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom