News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Removing the outdoor mask mandate would be AWESOME and I think a LOT of people would have no problem putting on masks indoors.
I agree. I won't lie, the masks I will wear outside now at Disney will be different than what I wore at the height of the pandemic when I was doing work and singing at church. They will be looser and not as well fitting. We will take selfie breaks!

I've totally always been about following science. I let the medical staff get the PPE last year while I stayed home waiting on cloth masks to be delivered. I put them on indoors often. We kept holidays remote via zoom. But when it's proven that outdoors is not the problem, I will comply with rules, but not as strict as I would previously. Plus when we go all of us will be vaccinated at some level, including my own kid (likely 1 dose, but that one dose is really good at 85% per studies)

cjack300zx

And take some of the pressure off the CMs too!

Speaking of CMs, wasn't the mask mandate a part of an union agreement originally? Is that still a thing?
I'm not sure but unions are big into safety. My union at my job has pushed for mask wearing early in 2020, they even had a petition to send to the governor of VA for a mask mandate

bdearl41

Rolling 7 day average drops again. Below 40k cases per day. A 21% drop from last week at over 10k a day less. A 44% drop in the 7 day rolling average over the past month. Could be under 10k a day by the end of the month if pace continues.

seascape

Rolling 7 day average drops again. Below 40k cases per day. A 21% drop from last week at over 10k a day less. A 44% drop in the 7 day rolling average over the past month. Could be under 10k a day by the end of the month if pace continues.
Yes, things are going well. The US number is 12 with just 4 states above 20. Even Michigan is under 30 now and Florida 17, Plus 18 states including NJ are now in single digits. Yes, NJ is down to just 8 cases and shows how well the vaccinations are solving this problem. Even better there are 6 more states at 10 and 6 at 11. In other words we are days a week away from over half the country being in single digits.

ToTBellHop

Stepping down the restrictions gradually makes sense. Since there's essentially no outdoor spread, outdoor masking really could have already been eliminated. Hopefully soon.
Yeah. I was just reading that the CDC is exaggerating when it says “less than 10% of spread is outdoors.” Its 0.1-1% and there have been zero reported cases walking past someone or sitting at a nearby table. When even Fauci is saying it’s time, it’s time.

tpac24

I agree. I won't lie, the masks I will wear outside now at Disney will be different than what I wore at the height of the pandemic when I was doing work and singing at church. They will be looser and not as well fitting. We will take selfie breaks!

I've totally always been about following science. I let the medical staff get the PPE last year while I stayed home waiting on cloth masks to be delivered. I put them on indoors often. We kept holidays remote via zoom. But when it's proven that outdoors is not the problem, I will comply with rules, but not as strict as I would previously. Plus when we go all of us will be vaccinated at some level, including my own kid (likely 1 dose, but that one dose is really good at 85% per studies)
Since they don't allow neck gators and that is what I was use to I bought a bunch of the Target cloth mask and carefully cut out all the extra suffocating layers they have. It made functioning outside in Disney with a mask very doable both in July and April.

danv3

Yeah. I was just reading that the CDC is exaggerating when it says “less than 10% of spread is outdoors.” Its 0.1-1% and there have been zero reported cases walking past someone or sitting at a nearby table. When even Fauci is saying it’s time, it’s time.
Read the very same article this morning.

correcaminos

Since they don't allow neck gators and that is what I was use to I bought a bunch of the Target cloth mask and carefully cut out all the extra suffocating layers they have. It made functioning outside in Disney with a mask very doable both in July and April.
Neck gaiters are my go to locally if required outdoors. They play well with my sunglasses and don't hurt my neck or keloid on my ear. I can wear them hours comfortably. Now I have a ton of masks for indoors that are well fitted and adjustable ear loops so I can relieve some pressure on the keloid when needed. They suck outdoors in the heat and I cannot sing with them.

I found regular old surgical style masks are the best for breathing for me. For singing I tie and use foam ear savers https://www.etsy.com/listing/941119343/blue-or-white-ear-saver-for-face-masks
Creates a good blend for me to sing.

Since I follow rules, I won't cut out layers (need 2 for Disney) but I just take the medical masks and wear them normally. As someone who wears a child size hat no joke, these are not particularly well fitted unless I tie them. They stay well with sunglasses too and mostly in place whent talking without. Following the letter of the law, but don't get crazy about it.

Indoors at home I continue to wear my good cloth masks.

ToTBellHop

I get the CDC wants to be cautious, but it goes too far sometimes. Not sure they are great at ever evolving data. Not knocking them entirely, but we need some faster moving things. Like making us wait 2 days after FDA approval for CDC stamp is stupid.
Some states aren’t playing and are already vaccinating down to age 12. I say, “good.” They sat on the 12-15 data too long, as it was.

A more responsive CDC loosening restrictions now would be more-trusted if they ever decide to reinstate those restrictions. “Following the science” requires...following it.

mickeymiss

I think a lot of the problem right now is psychological. Many people
developed a dependency on masks especially those with pre-existing anxiety. I've seen people wearing them in their cars, walking around deserted paths, etc. I sympathize with that and resent the media for creating a habit of thinking it's going to infect you in every setting. I think it's reasonable to walk it back slowly and we need to hear from the task force more about why it's okay to relax these measures. Reassurance.

Chi84

Premium Member
Step 1. Stop masking toddlers.
No kidding! Age 2 was a ridiculous choice by the CDC, and other health organizations like WHO and UNICEF chose higher ages - it wasn't handed down from the mount.

Many of the very young children we saw at WDW wore masks loosely or under their nose and we never saw anyone being admonished. At DS, we saw some very large 23-month-olds, and again never saw anyone being corrected. Thankfully, the CMs at Disney seem to have some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom