News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Interesting overview! Thank you!
It may be interesting, but it’s not supported by law. At most, he claims the information comes from some unnamed political sites. The lawsuits described would be highly unlikely and only have a remote chance of success.

Last edited:

Mindy55

It may be interesting, but it’s not supported by law. At most, he claims the information comes from some unnamed political sites.
Well it’s speculation... and there is not much recent precedent to go by .., i don’t see the political connection ?
the potential for liability lawsuits are difficult to sort out so I can only imagine states may need to step in, clarifying protection / or not regarding vaccine requirements as it relates to employers to employees and private companies to the general public
It may be as simple as signing a waiver ?

Chi84

Premium Member
Well it’s speculation... and there is not much recent precedent to go by .., i don’t see the political convection?
the potential for liability lawsuits are difficult to sort out so I can only imagine states may need to step in, clarifying protection / or not regarding vaccine requirements as it relates to employers to employees and private companies to the general public
Sorry, I did edit my post with an article but before I saw your reply.

Mindy55

Sorry, I did edit my post with an article but before I saw your reply.
Ok, so I scanned the opinion piece that looks like a law firm posted .. it’s more informative for sure, regarding employees and then speculates again On what the actual consequences may be.. again, I think state’s legislatures will have to provide clarification on what protections are going to be granted

Chi84

Premium Member
Ok, so I scanned the opinion piece that looks like a law firm posted .. it’s more informative for sure, regarding employees and then speculates again On what the actual consequences may be.. again, I think state’s legislatures will have to provide clarification on what protections are going to be granted
The main thing is you need damages to support a lawsuit and the incidences of severe allergic reactions to the vaccine (as opposed to side effects) necessary to satisfy the damages requirement is extremely low - something like less than 2%. Then you get to the worker's comp and legal defenses. It's true that anyone can file a lawsuit, but most baseless suits are quickly dismissed.

legwand77

It’s always amazing when an American considers that any spot in the US can be used as an example of them “doing well.” A dumpster fire is a dumpster fire throughout, even if some parts of it aren’t as hot as others.

The entire country failed at dealing with covid. If you want to compare mask effectiveness, compare the US’s covid results with the Asian countries that quickly adopted mask use at a high rate.
So comparing a state with another state is bad, but comparing a country with other country is ok. Lets looks at a country in Asia, South Korea adopted mask use at a high rate.

Stopping here though as masks will be gone soon enough so the debate is tiring and moot at this point.

Attachments

• EyjboWuU8AElTxA.jpg
    EyjboWuU8AElTxA.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 80

Mindy55

The main thing is you need damages to support a lawsuit and the incidences of severe allergic reactions to the vaccine (as opposed to side effects) necessary to satisfy the damages requirement is extremely low - something like less than 2%. Then you get to the worker's comp and legal defenses. It's true that anyone can file a lawsuit, but most baseless suits are quickly dismissed.
Agree 100%!! But that 2%, if possible, will be exploited and paraded if the right protections aren’t in place.

Chi84

Premium Member
Agree 100%!! But that 2%, if possible, will be exploited and paraded if the right protections aren’t in place.
Lawsuits are costly and likely won’t be filed unless significant damages can be proven. In a way, lawsuits are like masks. They work much better in theory than in the messy real world.

Edit: I’m talking specifically about injuries actually caused by the vaccines. Several states have COVID shield laws in the works to address broader liability.

Last edited:

Mindy55

Lawsuits are costly and likely won’t be filed unless significant damages can be proven. In a way, lawsuits are like masks. They work much better in theory than in the messy real world.

Edit: I’m talking specifically about injuries actually caused by the vaccines. Several states have COVID shield laws in the works to address broader liability.
You’re absolutely right

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Heat has nothing to do with it. It can still spread outside if you breathe on someone while carrying the virus. The difference is that outside it can disperse a lot easier because of the space outside and wind. However, I do think that the masks will not be required outside at Disney parks after the next couple of months. Especially if the numbers keep dropping. I expect they'll keep the mask requirement for indoor places through the summer.
Don't forget the effect of those "ultra violent rays," too.

Peter Venkman

when this is all over I think we will all be happy to not wear masks again, to be able to see our families and not be in fear, to take down all these plexiglass barriers, to attend sporting events and concerts and no longer have to social distance and get everything back to normal.

but most of all, it would mean no more thread after thread after interminable thread of people arguing back and forth about masks.

:)

SirLink

So comparing a state with another state is bad, but comparing a country with other country is ok. Lets looks at a country in Asia, South Korea adopted mask use at a high rate.

Stopping here though as masks will be gone soon enough so the debate is tiring and moot at this point.
You do realise the reason for the massive surge in South Korea right? It was the B.1.1.7 variant. Plus it isn't wise to compare country to country. However you shouldn't compare state by state in the US, as there hasn't been federal rules imposed over certain key things like lockdowns, testing, etc. You should look at the the US total as a whole.

View attachment 546095

I'm not sure I would read that as only decreasing spread by 1.8%, although maybe you do mean the same thing as the study. If you do, then I argue that 1.8% is significant. Quoting the JAMA article linked under "Related Materials" [1]: "Because the percentage point decreases (for mask mandates) and increases (for on-premises dining) refer to changes in daily growth rates, changes over time amplify exponentially and these measures could result in averting a substantial number of COVID-19 cases and deaths. An earlier study that examined mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia between April 8 and May 15, 2020, estimated that reductions in daily case growth rates of the same magnitude were associated with more than 200 000 COVID-19 cases averted."

I appreciate your stance that regardless of one's feelings on masks, it's simple enough to just wear a mask when asked. I personally take it a little further and believe that the CDC, etc. are creating guidelines/rules because they are effective (to some degree, but not a cure) -- at least as far as what is known at the time and not just for fun.

Back on topic, it makes sense to allow people to briefly take a photo without a mask on given that the CDC guidance for a while has been masks outside only when social distancing isn't possible. Hopefully people don't abuse it to keep their masks off more than they should.

[1] https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2778233

Last edited:

Ken R

Why do people have to be either living in fear of COVID or living in fear of a "piece of cloth?" Being dismissive doesn't further reasonable discussion.

When mask-wearing and social distancing were the only ways to protect against the virus, they were both reasonable and effective. As more people get vaccinated, they will still be reasonable because there's no way to tell who is vaccinated and who is not. But their effectiveness is decreasing.

When you have an unvaccinated person ordering food from an unvaccinated server, masks provide some degree of protection even in light of the limited contact. But when you have a vaccinated diner ordering from a vaccinated server during a one-minute transaction, masks are not doing anything. It can be argued that requiring masks is reasonable based on the logistics of enforcement, but there is no question that their effectiveness is nil. I didn't think this would become an issue so soon, with most people still unvaccinated, but it looks as though it is.
I don’t live in fear of Covid and I don’t live in fear of a cloth mask. But I strongly dislike wearing one to make someone irrationally afraid feel better. And if I’m vaccinated, why do I care who isn’t? I’m protected to the highest extent possible and don’t need a mask.

Lilofan

I don’t live in fear of Covid and I don’t live in fear of a cloth mask. But I strongly dislike wearing one to make someone irrationally afraid feel better. And if I’m vaccinated, why do I care who isn’t? I’m protected to the highest extent possible and don’t need a mask.
If you see a business that states No Mask No Service , you will be denied entry or required to leave. Facts of life.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If you see a business that states No Mask No Service , you will be denied entry or required to leave. Facts of life.
For me it’s a respect thing. If a business is asking I wear one and I am willingly walking into their business, you bet I’ll be wearing one. This also applies to being respectful to other patrons too who might not be comfortable with massless people yet. You have to think of others not yourself often times.

Lilofan

For me it’s a respect thing. If a business is asking I wear one and I am willingly walking into their business, you bet I’ll be wearing one. This also applies to being respectful to other patrons too who might not be comfortable with massless people yet. You have to think of others not yourself often times.
It is not "asking" , private business set their rules . They require customers to be masked up . But there will be "Karen's" to test the policy set by the business.

Chi84

Premium Member
It is not "asking" , private business set their rules . They require customers to be masked up . But there will be "Karen's" to test the policy set by the business.
I think we're going to see more and more businesses relaxing their rules as vaccinations increase and mitigation measures have less effect. WDW's current change is a very small one, but it's definitely a prelude to more significant changes in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom