News Magic Kingdom's Main Street Confectionery closing for refurbishment

Stupido

yikess..... this just reads as older generations trying to capitalize on youth behavior without understanding it at all. The purple wall blew up because it's visually appealing, but I can't see too many trying to pose infront of that monstrosity. I could absolutely see the appeal of a trendy looking candy backdrop, but the final product is just so uninspired and so unimaginative. I really want a list of people who signed off on that mess so we could... chat.

Dear Prudence

It's not that backstory is unnecessary, it's just that this is such a ham-fisted way to literally insert a backstory. I think, for example, the Imagineers having a backstory that guides how they design and decorate a location to be believable is a positive thing. When they just write fan fiction (as someone else put it) and paste it up in a way that it looks like they're presenting fan fiction, that undermines the believability of the theming.

I also honestly think this way of promoting inclusivity undermines the whole exercise. For example, the character of Alberta Falls is a nice way of creating more inclusive stories in the park. Presenting her with a CGI graphic that completely clashes with the time period in which her attraction is supposed to be set makes her stand out as an after-thought meant to make the attraction appear more inclusive. Similarly, it's positive to have a LGBTQ character represented in the park. Pasting up bios and graphics that look out of place on Main Street makes it seem contrived. On that note, Disney seems to have completely lost the ability to create period-appropriate graphics.

E07EE463-C390-47BF-9530-C5C14301CCE3-2048x1536.jpeg
I honestly was mildly excited because I thought they were real-life historical figures, hidden figures, being highlighted until I found out that they were all 100% fabricated. Now I am just hugely uncomfortable.

Casper Gutman

In their defense they never understood Potter either
They kinda sorta got the unique store thing in Baatu, although a lot of the shops/ stalls are still too interchangeable.

Honestly, as much as I like SWL and Cars Land, Disney has yet to produce a land as fully immersive as the Potters. And man, DLs Marvel land is the biggest embarrassment since Food Rocks.

JoeCamel

They kinda sorta got the unique store thing in Baatu, although a lot of the shops/ stalls are still too interchangeable.

Honestly, as much as I like SWL and Cars Land, Disney has yet to produce a land as fully immersive as the Potters. And man, DLs Marvel land is the biggest embarrassment since Food Rocks.
"veggie veggie froot froot" will never die......

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Remember when Disney used to be capable of retail magic? Now we just leave that to independent retailers. https://photos.citybeat.com/inside-...n-covington/?slide=1&hierophonyandhedge_hb-41

yep, that’s a one off, independent retail shop in COVINGTON KENTUCKY!!!

Pffft… consumers would spend too much time looking at things and not enough time buying them if Disney did anything like that. Better to have a bland, modern, industrial-looking store so consumers can see the product and easily make buying decisions.

Disney Analyst

So yesterday the other site shared a photo looking into the show kitchen, at the chocolate machines in there. These were from Savage Brod, so the machines had their logo on the front which is accompanied by an image of an indigenous.

So anyway, that site pointed out that it seems odd amongst all the inclusivity… and well… today that logo is covered up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom