• Total voters

LovePop

Original Poster
Here's the old room:
old room.PNG

And here's the new room:

new room.PNG

ilovelabs2021

I like the new room but the wall opposite the beds is too busy for my taste. It spoils the soothing feel that the rest of the room (and the old rooms) has.
I agree! This is the only thing I am not crazy about, but I get why it is there for the theming purposes. Otherwise, I love the new decor!

KBLovedDisney

I do like them both, and before I did prefer the old one. However, now looking at the picture comparison, you can tell how outdated the old one is. So, my current preference is the newer one.

wdwfan22

The new rooms look much better and address the lighting issues the old rooms had. I’m glad the carpet is gone. I love the theming of the polynesian but was never a fan of the old room designs. I’m looking forward to staying there again this summer.

Weather_Lady

For those who find the new design too "Moana-character-heavy," I suggest taking a look at the stock photos on the WDW Polynesian website, which are different from the ones on the Disney Parks blog. When the TV screen is shown as blank and the artwork is viewed in perspective (instead of with huge stills from Moana and close-ups of movie-related art, as the official blog photos somewhat ham-fistedly showed) -- it's remarkable how much more "generic tropical" the room appears. It's still colorful and full of varied textures, so if that's what one dislikes, it won't change their opinion of the refurb, but I don't think it smashes the viewer over the head with Disney IP to the same extent as the Disney blog photos tended to suggest.

room-pc-g00.jpg

room-pc-g01.jpg

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

I wish the new rooms still had a desk. They were nice to have if you needed to get some work done on your trip or for just having a place to sit and eat a snack.

I agree. I realize they had spatial constraints that probably prevented it, but a small desk or dining-height table with a couple of chairs for doing some work, or just having breakfast, is always appreciated.

Sbk1234

I know it's different to see it in person, as opposed to a photo, but my first impression from the photo is that I prefer the cooler colors of the original. The white walls behind the bed, as well as the white in the design facing the bed seems a little bland to me, as does the lacking of the ceiling fan.
However, the change won't diminish my trip, and I'd still love to stay there.
And to be fair, in person the new design may appear better.

LovePop

Original Poster
I agree. I realize they had spatial constraints that probably prevented it, but a small desk or dining-height table with a couple of chairs for doing some work, or just having breakfast, is always appreciated.
No desk? That is odd. All Disney rooms have desks, I thought. Even the values. Actually, there's a small, round, table looking thinking near the window. I wonder if that's supposed to be the desk or table, but no chairs next to it.

Weather_Lady

No desk? That is odd. All Disney rooms have desks, I thought. Even the values. Actually, there's a small, round, table looking thinking near the window. I wonder if that's supposed to be the desk or table, but no chairs next to it.
You're right. There is a small, round table that could be moved around and used many ways (possibly two of them, actually, if you look at the Disney Blog photo with the Moana TV still in the foreground -- it looks like two tables of different heights, sitting together by the chair in the corner).

I don't think desks are ubiquitous, though. We've never had one in a single WDW room in which we've stayed, including 3 different moderate resorts and 4 deluxe ones (granted, the deluxe were all DVC villas and not standard rooms). Every one of them did have some sort of decent-sized table with a couple of chairs though, where someone could type away on a laptop or grab some breakfast. The new Polynesian rooms don't seem to, although I don't know how they could, as the corner where a table and chairs or desk would usually be is occupied by the sofa/daybed. When the Poly rooms had both -- the daybed and then a media stand with desk along the same wall -- I feel like everything looked a bit crowded and crammed, functional as it may have been.

A nice compromise for the new rooms might have been one of those coffee tables with a pop-up surface that could be raised for use as a desk or dining table, and then tucked beside the daybed in place of the lamp table that is there presently. However, maybe there's more to the room than we've seen yet. I'm dying for somebody to do a video walkthrough that pokes into every closet, cupboard, nook and cranny and explores every trivial feature. As stupid as it may sound, I enjoy mentally "unpacking" my family in a given room and imagining where things would go. My dream hotel room is any one that has a place for everything. :)

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
1615251822985.png

This was sort of a test in the former honeymoon room at the WL.....the regular rooms look different with some of these features....but the new refurbed rooms are similar to the Poly in layout....what I wanted to show are these two chairs and nesting tables....they are in each of the new rooms, and I like that they could be used in different ways but tuck together. Good use of space.....I do not like the curvy connection in poly rooms I like separate furniture pieces.

Here are some photos of those rooms I found last year.... :D

OG Runner

I have to admit I like the new rooms also. They are much brighter and actually look bigger. (I know they aren't)
Though I will miss the tiki lamps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom