July weather vs. central NC? Same?

6laurac

We are going on an Disney extended trip in July. I’m from NC and it’s in the 90’s here than too. Is the weather really any different in Orlando than central NC? We are all looking forward to the parks, swimming and me running early. I know it’ll be crowded which is why we are staying longer.

We have been in May, October and January but never the summer. So excited just booked today.

The Mom

Premium Member
We are going on an Disney extended trip in July. I’m from NC and it’s in the 90’s here than too. Is the weather really any different in Orlando than central NC? We are all looking forward to the parks, swimming and me running early. I know it’ll be crowded which is why we are staying longer.

We have been in May, October and January but never the summer. So excited just booked today.
Yes, it is different. The humidity is what makes people miserable at those summer temperatures.

Upvote 0

Rbenz81

As a fellow Tarheel I can say that the heat isn't that much different in Orlando than NC in the summer. The killer is the humidity in Orlando. Not to say the humidity in NC isn't bad but it's worse in Orlando. Like sweating as soon as you walk outside bad. Unlike NC where we can have high temps in the 90's and no rain for days there's always the chance for afternoon storms in Orlando in the summer. Some days it'll storm others not. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

A distance of 600+ miles and 3 states away to Orlando wouldnt seem like much but dropping further south makes a lot of difference in humidity. Thats the killer. I went in the summer before and was covered in sweat from morning to night. I had to take a mid day shower to refresh and change shirts. Unless you want to experience Disney summer, I'd go back to May, Oct and Jan. Hope your excitement level can help you enjoy a very different Disney.

Upvote 0

DVCakaCarlF

We live in Charlotte and it does get humid here during the summer. However, it's not as oppressive as in Orlando and not as constant each day. If you prepare and expect the humidity, stay hydrated and take breaks it makes for a fine vacation. We were there last July for a "resort only" trip and really had fun even with COVID.
Queen City forever

Upvote 0

John park hopper

If you must go in July I would suggest hit the parks early, go back to resort or hotel and relax by the pool by noon. If the parks by chance are open at night go back then. Avoid the hottest part of the day. Wear light colored clothes breathable cotton, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, drink plenty of water stay away from the soda. just my 2 cents

Upvote 0

HuffsAhoy

In the Parks
No

I am from North Carolina (grew up on the coast) and lived in Orlando for 5 years until this past July. I have to disagree with everyone here who says the humidity is worse in Orlando, it's not...at all. In Florida, you can walk outside and the effects of the heat and humidity can take a while to hit you. However, back home, the second you walk outside in the middle of July, the humidity hits you like a wet towel. The great thing, however, is that you are already used to the "oppressive heat", so the same safety precautions you would take back in good ole Carolina are the same you'd do in Florida. Take frequent breaks in the shade or indoors, stay hydrated, and don't overdo physical activities.

Upvote 0

macefamily

One word....TROPICAL. We were down last July to move my daughter into her apartment, and it was a thick, damp, heat. I've also been there in September at Universal Horror Nights, and around midnight it was still 88 degrees with a dew point in the 70's. There was no breeze whatsoever. My mom was a smoker who was with us that trip, and she actually quit smoking that week because of the stifling heat.

Upvote 0

crawale

Can be extremely humid. Also July tends to be rainy which only increases the humidity.

Upvote 0

Pucks104

It’s more humid in Orlando oppressively so.

Upvote 0

Jon_in_NC

I am from North Carolina (grew up on the coast) and lived in Orlando for 5 years until this past July. I have to disagree with everyone here who says the humidity is worse in Orlando, it's not...at all. In Florida, you can walk outside and the effects of the heat and humidity can take a while to hit you. However, back home, the second you walk outside in the middle of July, the humidity hits you like a wet towel. The great thing, however, is that you are already used to the "oppressive heat", so the same safety precautions you would take back in good ole Carolina are the same you'd do in Florida. Take frequent breaks in the shade or indoors, stay hydrated, and don't overdo physical activities.

Also agree. I am originally from southeastern NC and have lived in Orlando for four years now. I really noticed no substantial difference in temperature, humidity, or "feel" down here in July versus southeastern NC (now, those conditions do begin earlier and last longer in the year than NC). I will say that there are days where you do walk outside and it hits you like a 'wall of heat and humidity' but experienced that in NC as well. As others have mentioned, stay hydrated with water, bring an umbrella for shade if the lines are still endlessly snaking outside due to physical distancing, and maybe take a resort break in the late afternoon.

Upvote 0

chriskbrown

We live in Charlotte and it does get humid here during the summer. However, it's not as oppressive as in Orlando and not as constant each day. If you prepare and expect the humidity, stay hydrated and take breaks it makes for a fine vacation. We were there last July for a "resort only" trip and really had fun even with COVID.
Fellow Disney geek in Charlotte. The real kicker is dew points. As a runner, that is what I watch. We go to the coast in the summer, and despite running in the Charlotte area, that dew point at the beach which is somewhere in the mid-70s kicks my tail. Ran a 8k race on the 4th of July in Myrtle Beach. We went off at 7;30am and it felt like the upper 80s. So yeah its just way stickier in Orlando period. You will be more acclimated than someone from say New England but it is still plain nasty.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom