The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

trainplane3

Here's a fun little thing that I feel fits this thread due to it being 50th related:
LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – Roy Norris says he is a unique part of Walt Disney World’s history because he was just the right size.

“One of my teachers came to me and said ‘Roy, you’re a small guy,’” said Norris, 69, of Lakeland.

At the time, he was 19 and was the same size as Orange Bird, a character developed by Disney for the opening of Magic Kingdom Park in partnership with the Florida Citrus Commission.

In 1971, central Florida was about to change forever with the opening of Walt Disney World.

“It was very exciting because before then, all anybody ever knew of was Disneyland in California. So wow, we’re getting a Disney World here,” Norris said.

He traveled the country as Orange Bird as an employee for Florida Citrus Commission, advocating for the state industry.

Half a century later, Norris still has a scrapbook from his year spent as Orange Bird.

But, he says, it is incomplete.

Before the park opened, he remembers attending a photoshoot inside Magic Kingdom.

“It was something like the Tiki Room or something,” he said. “There’s a real large artificial tree right outside. It looks real but it was an artificial man-made picture and I don’t know what happened to the pictures.”

His memory is fitting because Orange Bird greeted families at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adventureland once the park was open to guests, according to the Disney Parks Blog.

The Florida Citrus Commission was the original sponsor for the Tiki Room, according to some reports.

The character remains a beloved part of the magic today, including in sought-after merchandise.

Norris assumed the photographs were lost forever until he saw on the news that Walt Disney World was celebrating its 50th anniversary.

“And I said, ‘Wait a minute, I was the Orange Bird 50 years ago. Wait a minute, I need to start checking into this,'” he said.

He has reached out to Walt Disney Company and the Florida Citrus Commission several times and has not heard back.

“It would be very interesting to check it out, talk to some of the people there, and kind of catch up on history a little bit but I don’t know who to contact,” he said.

8 On Your Side has reached out to both entities to try to connect Norris with his 50-year-old memories.

“To add it to my collection. I’ve got some very precious, very valuable in my heart, pictures of some very special people,” he said.

And maybe he could reunite with Orange Bird itself.

“That would be worth everything,” Norris said.

“Would it still fit?” asked 8 On Your Side’s Staci DaSilva.

“Yes! I can bet money on that. I weigh the same thing I did when I graduated high school in 1971,” he said.

CntrlFlPete

Remember "Talking Mickey" from nearly a decade ago? Whatever happened to that and more importantly why isn't this being used in the parks today, specifically for the 50th?

obsolete technology that no longer works.

I think I heard they have some magicBand+ that will vibrate (or something) when you walk near one of the golden statues. I imagine that is the new direction of interactivity.

Figments Friend

Don't know if anyone here saw them.....but....

Yes, Disney is offering small versions of the '50 Golden Statues' for sale as merchandise.
A couple of you here guessed this would happen months ago.
;)

They are sold in sets, and are meant to be sculpted 'ornaments ' to hang on a Xmas tree.
Check em' out sometime...if you can find them.

-

WaltsTreasureChest

Remember "Talking Mickey" from nearly a decade ago? Whatever happened to that and more importantly why isn't this being used in the parks today, specifically for the 50th?
879C4BE2-2898-44E4-9179-386A4E2EEA4F.jpeg

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Twenty-five years ago, cast members at Disney’s Contemporary Resort carefully packed a time capsule with documents, nametags and other treasures to celebrate the anniversary of the Resort’s dedication. The engineering services team sealed and buried it in the ground in front of the flag poles at the Resort, marking the location with a plaque that read: “To be opened at 50th Anniversary, 10/25/2021. ‘Remember the Magic.’”

So, on Oct. 25, 2021, a group of very special cast members were invited to be among the first to see what was inside. You might recognize a few of them; Earliene, Ruth Ann and Joe all celebrate their 50-year service anniversaries during The World’s Most Magical Celebration, the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World."

Disney4family

I don't know if this has been mentioned in 262 pages and I'm sure the easy answer is $$$, but if they could put tons of effort into and offer special things for their Disney+ Day (like special character sightings), why wouldn't they have even done that for their own 50th Celebration?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know if this has been mentioned in 262 pages and I'm sure the easy answer is $$$, but if they could put tons of effort into and offer special things for their Disney+ Day (like special character sightings), why wouldn't they have even done that for their own 50th Celebration?
They want to keep people away. They couldn't handle what would have been a non-pandemic crowd with their current pandemic understaffing.

They added park reservations, hiked prices, and closed off hotels. At this time, they do not want supersized crowds. Not to mention not knowing month to month what COVID protocols they would have to have in place.

Oh, yeah, forgot: We're still in the middle of a world-wide pandemic.

trainplane3

Anyone else get a 50th celebration survey? My friend got one for DHS when they were there last week...the options were pretty great:
yqvRKfk.jpg

nAX7M4h.jpg

We both seemed to feel the same on this "celebration". The whole survey felt like they know because man...the 50th...even with how the world is I understand...but I'll be blunt...it absolutely sucks. Having a regional park celebrate their 150th (if you scaled single "small park" to "large vacation destination") really showed how bad Disney is handling the 50th even with covid.

That "small park" hit every bit of a celebration I would've expected to see from Disney. From celebrating the past with signage all around saying "this was here and this is why it was important", having art and merch of old attractions from years past, new entertainment all throughout, chances to win free gifts right in the park, a flippin' one of a kind parade, and a nighttime show that actually covered the history of the park. I had a feeling it was going to be disappointing from what Disney did on 10/1 but being there...yikes.

brb1006

Anyone else get a 50th celebration survey? My friend got one for DHS when they were there last week...the options were pretty great:
yqvRKfk.jpg

nAX7M4h.jpg

We both seemed to feel the same on this "celebration". The whole survey felt like they know because man...the 50th...even with how the world is I understand...but I'll be blunt...it absolutely sucks. Having a regional park celebrate their 150th (if you scaled single "small park" to "large vacation destination") really showed how bad Disney is handling the 50th even with covid.

That "small park" hit every bit of a celebration I would've expected to see from Disney. From celebrating the past with signage all around saying "this was here and this is why it was important", having art and merch of old attractions from years past, new entertainment all throughout, chances to win free gifts right in the park, a flippin' one of a kind parade, and a nighttime show that actually covered the history of the park. I had a feeling it was going to be disappointing from what Disney did on 10/1 but being there...yikes.
Guest feedback to that survery is going to be very interesting.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom