News 'Raya and the Last Dragon' offerings coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

UNCgolf

The animation experience is fine; that's what it's for (although I personally would be disappointed if I went and got characters from this new movie instead of classic animal characters).

The sand sculpture is out of place for Discovery Island. It should be at Disney Springs or Hollywood Studios.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, technically, if the IP is from a movie, then DHS is always a thematic fit, since it's the "ride the movies" park.

So, it's never a matter of whether an IP fits better in DHS... if it's a movie, it always fits.

It's more of a matter of why an IP *wouldn't* fit in DAK or EPCOT or MK.

The drawing lessons at Planet Watch don't belong in DAK, unless they're teaching you to draw actual animals. which they aren't. It was originally an activity at DHS, then at EPCOT during the Arts Festival.

As a cultural practice of the fine arts, it should be EPCOT, but EPCOT currently has space issues. It could easily move to the empty theaters at DHS. But once shows return, DHS won't have space for it.

Anyhoo... that's just the drawing part.

A sand sculpture of a dragon? That'd fit in any of the parks: Beast > DAK; Art > EPCOT; IP > DHS; fantasy > MK.

UNCgolf

Why would a sand sculpture make more sense in Hollywood Studios?

Specifically, if it features the girl AND her dragon, it makes perfect sense at AK. At least we finally have a dragon at AK in some form.

It's not really about overall theme of the park and it's not specific to Raya and the Last Dragon. I just don't think Discovery Island is a good place for anything like that period -- there's really nowhere in Animal Kingdom that's a good fit for large temporary sculptures other than the entrance pavilion. Even there I don't think sculptures should include humans, so it still wouldn't really fit AK IMO, but the location is the bigger problem.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's not really about overall theme of the park and it's not specific to Raya and the Last Dragon. I just don't think Discovery Island is a good place for anything like that period -- there's really nowhere in Animal Kingdom that's a good fit for large temporary sculptures other than the entrance pavilion. Even there I don't think sculptures should include humans, so it still wouldn't really fit AK IMO, but the location is the bigger problem.
Well, that's an opinion, of course. I think AK is a perfect place for this. Its honestly the perfect park to promote the film.

I hope it's actually a good film and not just another How to Train your Dragon film. I'd love for dragons to get featured at AK finally.

UNCgolf

Well, that's an opinion, of course. I think AK is a perfect place for this. Its honestly the perfect park to promote the film.

I hope it's actually a good film and not just another How to Train your Dragon film. I'd love for dragons to get featured at AK finally.

It seems like the kind of thing that belongs at Disney Springs. A big temporary sand sculpture -- I can't imagine it fitting in anywhere at Magic Kingdom either without detracting from the surroundings. It's going to look really out of place on Discovery Island. Even Hollywood Studios is a stretch for it, but that park is such a mishmash right now that it wouldn't really detract from anything.

But, as you said, it's just an opinion.

UNCgolf

The drawing lessons at Planet Watch don't belong in DAK, unless they're teaching you to draw actual animals. which they aren't. It was originally an activity at DHS, then at EPCOT during the Arts Festival.

I actually don't mind the animation experience at Planet Watch. It's not a perfect fit, but it's a fun activity in a location that needed one and it focuses on animal characters (whether anthropomorphic or not). At least they don't have people drawing Cinderella and Belle there.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I actually don't mind the animation experience at Planet Watch. It's not a perfect fit, but it's a fun activity in a location that needed one and it focuses on animal characters (whether anthropomorphic or not). At least they don't have people drawing Cinderella and Belle there.
But it would make more sense for Pocahontas to be at AK, right? Like the stage show that used to be there. Or were you against Pocahontas as well? Legit question, because that'd determine your stance.

I don't understand why Raya wouldn't fit at AK if Pocahontas was accepted at the park..

Technically speaking, humans are terrestrial animals.

UNCgolf

But it would make more sense for Pocahontas to be at AK, right? Like the stage show that used to be there. Or were you against Pocahontas as well? Legit question, because that'd determine your stance.

I don't understand why Raya wouldn't fit at AK if Pocahontas was accepted at the park..

Technically speaking, humans are terrestrial animals.

My issue is really with the large sculpture rather than the specific movie it's promoting. I just don't think that's a very good fit inside any the theme parks, although it would make more sense at EPCOT right now because the Festival of the Arts is happening. Generally speaking, though, it's going to distract from the design of any area its in at one of the parks because they weren't designed to showcase things like that, which is why I think it belongs at Disney Springs (they've had other similar things like that there before).

Putting it in the entrance plaza (like where they put the Christmas tree) would be a better option if they really wanted it in AK, though, because that area doesn't have the same sense of place as the rest of the park. It'd probably get more eyes on it there too, actually, unless they're planning to drop it right in the center of the pathway leading towards the Tree of Life.

Anyways, to answer your question -- the Pocahontas stage show was fine, and a Raya and the Last Dragon stage show would likely be fine as well if it focused on the animals, although since they never actually built Beastly Kingdom fantasy creatures might feel a bit out of place for the park that currently exists. I wouldn't want a big temporary sculpture of Pocahontas and her animal friends in Discovery Island either, though.

It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. It's a temporary sculpture; not like it's something being permanently installed. I think it would make more sense elsewhere just by the nature of what it is (again, not because of the specific movie), but it's certainly not up to me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

PHOTOS - Artists begin the 'Raya and the Last Dragon' sand sculpture at Disney's Animal Kingdom​

Animal-Kingdom_Full_40986.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well they did put Maleficent's dragon at the Magic Kingdom.

1613761455751.jpeg

photo Holly Roberage

aliceismad

I'm so excited for this movie! I agree the locations feel a little weird. Based on the trailer, Raya doesn't seem to be a great fit for the nature-focused/conservation-driven messaging at AK. But if we're looking at a business-y perspective vs. a thematic one, AK is light on rides and shows are shut down. Adding anything that would make guests stop for a few minutes and enjoy the park seems like a good idea. It certainly doesn't seem like MK or HS needs any sand castle making clogging up walkways, especially with the extended line situation for social distancing. Epcot already has its festivals.

How much participation does the Animation Experience usually get?

UNCgolf

I'm so excited for this movie! I agree the locations feel a little weird. Based on the trailer, Raya doesn't seem to be a great fit for the nature-focused/conservation-driven messaging at AK. But if we're looking at a business-y perspective vs. a thematic one, AK is light on rides and shows are shut down. Adding anything that would make guests stop for a few minutes and enjoy the park seems like a good idea. It certainly doesn't seem like MK or HS needs any sand castle making clogging up walkways, especially with the extended line situation for social distancing. Epcot already has its festivals.

How much participation does the Animation Experience usually get?

Last time I was at the Animation Experience it was busy. I don't know if every seat was taken, but it was at least 75% full and probably more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom