Face masks?

aliceismad

The ones my kiddo likes best are from Etsy, but someone on another thread to make sure they are made with two layers to meet Disney's requirement.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

As the first reply said, it's a good idea to try a few different kinds before you go! Disney requires that masks cover the nose and mouth, be secured by loops or straps, and be made of breathable material. (No neck gaiters, bandanas, scarves, coffee filters, repurposed underpants, etc., and no "costume" masks except for kids in certain circumstances). https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoverings

DH and I like the standard 2-ply pleated cotton masks with elastic bands and wire nose adjusters (I home-sewed scads of them, but they're available everywhere in stores and on etsy), as well as the more circular-shaped, non-pleated style you can buy at Target in dozens of different prints, some of which almost look like business suit fabric.

My two kids, who have to play sports in their masks at school, prefer the wire-free cotton masks with adjustable bands from Old Navy (which carries both the pleated style and the rounded style), which they say are the easiest to breathe through when you're hot and sweaty. Sportswear companies like Under Armour and Adidas sell masks designed for wear when exercising that would probably be well-suited to wear at Disney, although we've not tried them.

We even have some silky-soft face masks we bought with a discount code from the ShopDisney website, which are incredibly comfortable, but are made from polyester instead of cotton, so they're less breathable than other styles we've tried -- great for keeping our faces warm in our frigid winter right now, but not ideal for warm weather.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

deeevo

We have been wearing the Costco 32 degrees since re-opening. I would not wear anything else.

1614020238203.png

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We have been wearing the Costco 32 degrees since re-opening. I would not wear anything else.

View attachment 534373
How many layers are those? The product description contradicts itself:

- Soft single layer fabric feels smooth against skin
- Single Ply Fabric consists of a 3 layer structure - a top and bottom layer of high-density, very fine performance fabric, knit together by a connecting layer of yarn.

I'm not sure how it can be "single layer" and "single ply" but also "3 layer structure."

Upvote 0

deeevo

How many layers are those? The product description contradicts itself:

- Soft single layer fabric feels smooth against skin
- Single Ply Fabric consists of a 3 layer structure - a top and bottom layer of high-density, very fine performance fabric, knit together by a connecting layer of yarn.

I'm not sure how it can be "single layer" and "single ply" but also "3 layer structure."
I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney cares. The requirement is for masks to be at least two layers.

And the expression is "couldn't care less."
I think Disney became more specific because some people were wearing useless mesh masks or masks with holes in them, bandanas, masks with valves, etc. It's hard to imagine anyone there noticing, much less objecting to, what appears to be a regular mask like the one from Costco.

Upvote 0

Crunchie9

Does Disney ask you to remove the mask to prove its two layers. (Cant they spare a square?)

Honestly, I would bring my thin sports mesh one, and a medical one. I will let you know which one I will wear first.

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

I really like wearing the masks that Disney sells. The material is comfortable and it fits very well. If you buy them at a Disney store, you can buy them individually & are a little bit less expensive than online or once you arrive at WDW. Have fun!

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I really like wearing the masks that Disney sells. The material is comfortable and it fits very well. If you buy them at a Disney store, you can buy them individually & are a little bit less expensive than online or once you arrive at WDW. Have fun!
How comfy are they on the ears? The fabric looks really quite thick. Do they stretch enough to use an ear saver behind your head (or on a headband)? I fine with the masks I make, even using the 1/8” comfort elastic cam really irritate my ears. I may have to make some with tie straps like I wore in the OR for hours on end. No issues with that.

Oh, tip for those of you whose glasses dog up, there is some tape called microfoam tape (3M) that you can put across the bridge of your nose where you mask meets the skin (this is not a super tacky tape) and works great to keep glasses from fogging. Did this in the OR all the time.
View attachment 535737

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

How comfy are they on the ears? The fabric looks really quite thick. Do they stretch enough to use an ear saver behind your head (or on a headband)? I fine with the masks I make, even using the 1/8” comfort elastic cam really irritate my ears. I may have to make some with tie straps like I wore in the OR for hours on end. No issues with that.

Oh, tip for those of you whose glasses dog up, there is some tape called microfoam tape (3M) that you can put across the bridge of your nose where you mask meets the skin (this is not a super tacky tape) and works great to keep glasses from fogging. Did this in the OR all the time.
View attachment 535737
I don't need the ear saver at all. I order the Adult Medium and it fits me perfectly. The fabric on my face and on my ears is quite comfortable too. You can wash it in the sink at night and hang it to dry and it will be ready to use the next day at the parks or wherever you go.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom