News Chevrolet is teaming up with Walt Disney World to reveal the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt EUV and Bolt EV

flynnibus

Premium Member
uh, not even close. Have you had a chance to drive a Model 3? Last gen Bolt was closer to the Chevy Spark, size-wise

My driving experience doesn’t matter - thats what the marget segment is.

And yes i have driven the car. They are plentiful around me. Even my most immediate circle of friends has two Ss, a 3 perf, a Y, and X. And three of them have CTs on order too.

I also just bought a ford fusuion at a great price... because ford killed all their non compact cars. I also bought a F250 for trailering horses. Its been a busy car quarter here :)

Cmdr_Crimson

Figment being in there and using a Billy Barty laugh soundbite when he Flys by....
fetchimage

ThatMouse

I feel like this is paid by Disney to keep GM as a sponsor. Really cool commercial though! $30k+ for a compact car is more than most people should be paying tho. Would love to see EV's start at $20k.

cmwade77

I feel like this is paid by Disney to keep GM as a sponsor. Really cool commercial though! $30k+ for a compact car is more than most people should be paying tho. Would love to see EV's start at $20k.
Well, keep in mind that at 30k starting price, in many states after incentives the end cost can be under 10k.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You do know that even a Honda Civic starts at a higher cost than that right?

Under 20k is the land of sub-compact cars. And the US market has repeatedly rejected 'specialized' city type cars... especially for alt fuels. This is why you see GM/etc trying to make EVs in the popular SUV/truck segments.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, keep in mind that at 30k starting price, in many states after incentives the end cost can be under 10k.

What incentives would you be referring to that are getting people 20k?

The most state one I am aware of is 5k... and the federal credit is phasing out for many vendors (or gone entirely - including GM)

DCLcruiser

What incentives would you be referring to that are getting people 20k?

The most state one I am aware of is 5k... and the federal credit is phasing out for many vendors (or gone entirely - including GM)
It might be extended. There is a Bill for another 600,000 cars w/ $7,000 credit.

correcaminos

I'd edit that to some states. Many do not. My state personally sucks and unless a new deal can be made for EVs, no federal break at this time. This is why Chevy slashed the Bolt price. Still a bit pricey but I'm sure the EV market will get there.

DisneyCane

You are paying for the batteries. The Mustang Mach e is $5k for 80 miles additional range. Even if that is marked up more than 100%, it's still over $2k cost to Ford.

You've got to think in terms that you are pre-paying for a portion of the fuel. The electric charging over the life of the vehicle will cost significantly less than gas for the life of a similar vehicle. That doesn't come for free. Instead of a cheap fuel tank to store energy you now have an expensive battery pack.

Past a certain amount of driving, you will end up paying less overall with an electric vehicle.

You do know that even a Honda Civic starts at a higher cost than that right?

Under 20k is the land of sub-compact cars. And the US market has repeatedly rejected 'specialized' city type cars... especially for alt fuels. This is why you see GM/etc trying to make EVs in the popular SUV/truck segments.

I think they are going after the SUV and Truck segments because the additional cost of the batteries is a much lower percentage of the typical costs in those segments. Also, the efficiency increase of those size vehicles is a lot more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think they are going after the SUV and Truck segments because the additional cost of the batteries is a much lower percentage of the typical costs in those segments. Also, the efficiency increase of those size vehicles is a lot more.

I think you need to look at the car sales in America to understand why they are focusing where they are... because you will find its not just EVs doing this.

DisneyCane

I think you need to look at the car sales in America to understand why they are focusing where they are... because you will find its not just EVs doing this.
I understand that and it's also why those segments are the most profitable. They are in demand and people pay a premium for them.

Ford basically stopped making cars (except the Mustang) because they aren't nearly as profitable.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ford basically stopped making cars (except the Mustang) because they aren't nearly as profitable.

It was a decision lead by sales... not margins. Don't confuse the old 'they prefer to sell more trucks...' scenario of the past with what has been happening lately. Americans have been abandoning the full and midsize sedans for other styles.

Ford car sales were dropping over 20%.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom