News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

Jason McBrien

Take the Aladdin ride at MK and install it in an indoor space in Morocco. Add some projection mapping to the walls while you ‘fly’ over Agrabah and you will have a packed Morocco pavilion (at a very low investment cost). This would also relieve some congestion at the MK, give more seating area for the Dole Whip stand and remove a duplicated ride system in the park.

I'm not sure it was discussed elsewhere in this thread, but culturally Morocco is a bit different than middle-eastern countries. It's a bit more blended, with European and western Africa influences. Agrabah was supposed to be set in the Arabian peninsula, which is different, if not culturally, then definitely in regards to architecture.

It might be nitpicking, but it would be like putting a statue of The Little Mermaid in the Norway pavilion. Denmark and Norway are both Scandinavian countries, but they different enough that it would be weird putting a cultural reference from one country in the pavilion of another.

LittleBuford

Agrabah was supposed to be set in the Arabian peninsula, which is different, if not culturally, then definitely in regards to architecture.
“Arabian” in the context of opening song refers to the Arab world in general, not to the Arabian peninsula. Architecturally, Agrabah has very little to do with the Arabian peninsula; its buildings are a hodgepodge, though most of what you see when Aladdin and Jasmine set off on their carpet ride resembles the monuments of Mamluk Egypt.

There are indeed pronounced cultural differences between the various Arab countries and regions. Even the forms of Arabic they speak are in many cases mutually unintelligible.

Bocabear

That is all Morocco is...shopping.. Without it's big restaurant and bazaar, the Morocco Pavilion is basically a snack stand like the Coke outpost.
They really should think about a placemaking permanent attraction for this pavilion...
Aladdin is more Arab...as is Sinbad but generally more "middle Eastern"...I think Sinbad was supposed to be from Persia... Maybe rebranding Morocco to a Middle Eastern pavilion by expanding it and including multi middle eastern countries and cultures...but not Morocco specifically? Not sure what the best case would be, but an real attraction (ride) would be a great addition to this pavilion...especially with the loss of it's main restaurant at the back.

nickys

Premium Member
That is all Morocco is...shopping.. Without it's big restaurant and bazaar, the Morocco Pavilion is basically a snack stand like the Coke outpost.
They really should think about a placemaking permanent attraction for this pavilion...
Aladdin is more Arab...as is Sinbad but generally more "middle Eastern"...I think Sinbad was supposed to be from Persia... Maybe rebranding Morocco to a Middle Eastern pavilion by expanding it and including multi middle eastern countries and cultures...but not Morocco specifically? Not sure what the best case would be, but an real attraction (ride) would be a great addition to this pavilion...especially with the loss of it's main restaurant at the back.
Apart from the museum, of course.

nickys

Premium Member
It's not really much of a museum to be honest... And after you have seen it a hundred times.... well....you know....
My guess is most people have never seen it. Partly at least due to people telling them there’s nothing to do there? I find the architecture of the pavilion as well as the museum interesting, including the interior of the building. Searching for the defaced tiles is also fun.

The same argument could surely be made about most things at WDW? Do something 100 times and the excitement / interest will probably dwindle for many people. Luckily most people don’t go often enough to have that problem and those that do probably aren’t able to see and do everything on every trip.

I guess I kinda wish I could go often enough to feel like you do.😉

LittleBuford

Maybe rebranding Morocco to a Middle Eastern pavilion by expanding it and including multi middle eastern countries and cultures...but not Morocco specifically?
How do you suggest they do that when all the architecture and decoration is specifically Moroccan, down to a recreation of one of the most famous and recognisable minarets in the world? Would you ever propose converting the France pavilion, with its distinctly Parisian feel and replica of the Eiffel Tower, into a generic European pavilion?

Bocabear

How do you suggest they do that when all the architecture and decoration is specifically Moroccan, down to a recreation of one of the most famous and recognisable minarets in the world? Would you ever propose converting the France pavilion, with its distinctly Parisian feel and replica of the Eiffel Tower, into a generic European pavilion?
I would not attempt it...I was just saying that in order to use Aladdin or Sinbad they would sort of have to change the context of the pavilion. If they were to change it I imagine they would need to add additional architectural references...like they did with the Norway pavilion...Make it more whimsical and less "exact copy"...

castlecake2.0

My guess is most people have never seen it. Partly at least due to people telling them there’s nothing to do there? I find the architecture of the pavilion as well as the museum interesting, including the interior of the building. Searching for the defaced tiles is also fun.

The same argument could surely be made about most things at WDW? Do something 100 times and the excitement / interest will probably dwindle for many people. Luckily most people don’t go often enough to have that problem and those that do probably aren’t able to see and do everything on every trip.

I guess I kinda wish I could go often enough to feel like you do.😉
That’s all good but with no shopping, entertainment, full meal table service, attraction, the pavilion is little more than a snack stand now.

LittleBuford

I would not attempt it...I was just saying that in order to use Aladdin or Sinbad they would sort of have to change the context of the pavilion. If they were to change it I imagine they would need to add additional architectural references...like they did with the Norway pavilion...Make it more whimsical and less "exact copy"...
Norway is still Norway, even if Arendelle has been squeezed into one of its spaces. They haven’t changed the pavilion’s architecture or made it “more whimsical” to my knowledge.

Morocco is specifically Moroccan through-and-through; its context cannot be changed without destroying and rebuilding big chunks of it.

Bocabear

And they kind of turned the Norway Pavilion into a generic Norwegian area countries pavilion....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom