News Evermore Orlando Resort - new billion-dollar, 10,000-room resort project is coming right next to Walt Disney World

Sctble

Building now is actually a brilliant move considering that when it is finished, hopefully we are back to being normalish.
This.

"Normal" isn't dead. It's hibernating. The wise will start planning & prepping now for it's return, and be ready to hit the ground running when tourism is in full swing again. And there will be A LOT of fed-up, cooped-up, ready-to-out-there people once "Normal" is back.
I can't find fault in the timing of this project.

Dutch Inn '76

This.

"Normal" isn't dead. It's hibernating. The wise will start planning & prepping now for it's return, and be ready to hit the ground running when tourism is in full swing again. And there will be A LOT of fed-up, cooped-up, ready-to-out-there people once "Normal" is back.
I can't find fault in the timing of this project.

Agreed. Money is CHEAP right now...

Magic Feather

This is the former local coming out, but can they not just build normal ****ing housing?

Orlando’s Housing Market (at least pre-COVID) was sorely under supplied causing obscene rents. I’d go as far as to argue that Orlando’s lack of affordable housing is a bigger issue than FL’s min wage (which is slowly being spiked). This area in particular is a relatively high value residential area that Grand Cypress barely snuck into, and honestly I would rather this development have a significant number of non-vacation rental apartments.

Orlando is over saturated with hotels/rooms/places to stay. I’d rather see people buying/redoing I-Drive’s many lousier hotels than this.

JoeCamel

This is the former local coming out, but can they not just build normal ****ing housing?

Orlando’s Housing Market (at least pre-COVID) was sorely under supplied causing obscene rents. I’d go as far as to argue that Orlando’s lack of affordable housing is a bigger issue than FL’s min wage (which is slowly being spiked). This area in particular is a relatively high value residential area that Grand Cypress barely snuck into, and honestly I would rather this development have a significant number of non-vacation rental apartments.

Orlando is over saturated with hotels/rooms/places to stay. I’d rather see people buying/redoing I-Drive’s many lousier hotels than this.
Well they did that, they call it Davenport. Affordable housing is not where the money is in the house building game, if you have the land you want the most you can get from it (you know all this I know) so the people that have less money are not your target.
All comes down to the "its a business" thing again. Without government pressure, incentives or outright sponsorship affordable is not where we are headed.

Lilofan

Do you know what borders that end of I - Drive? That residential area is not for the faint of heart.

Lilofan

An 11-bedroom home? God, I'd hate to be traveling with that group! Kevin? Where's Kevin? :eek:
Arab royalty with their entourage that visit Central FL would fit in the 11 bedroom home and perhaps rent other homes in the area. No one recalls when the Florida Mall reopens at 10pm with all stores open so they can do their a shopping spree back in the day?

ThemeParkPriest

Besides getting people from the airport to the resort, they would need to have quite a few buses to get people to the parks and Disney Springs!

ryguy

Well the location is certainly prime. This has been in the works for a few years now. We have been going to the villas for our annual golf outing the last 10 years. Two years ago we stopped because they started ground work for this project. It's true they did lay off a bunch of workers. The explanation for the redo was the resort was not bringing enough revenue and they wanted to make it more family friendly being so close to Disney. It makes sense, but selfishly it was perfect for a golf trip. Close to Disney, nice accommodations, good golf all at a reasonable price. Being a golfer it was nice to be at true golf resort. Mostly everyone staying there were golfers. Also it was peaceful and quiet. We have moved our event to Championsgate which is nice, but I think our group misses the villas.

homerdance

So shou

So building more specific vacation homes nearer the parks and more desirable to vacationers should make the rentals farther out less desirable and thus available (lower cost) to locals no?

Magic Feather

So shou

So building more specific vacation homes nearer the parks and more desirable to vacationers should make the rentals farther out less desirable and thus available (lower cost) to locals no?
In an ideal world, this would be how it works, but the issue with that is that the majority of vacation homes not in planned communities for that purpose are not run by a major corporation that could easily pivot. Most are smaller businesses that would focus on making them more competitive vacation homes before they went onto the housing market.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom