News Early Theme Park Entry and Extended Evening Hours coming for resort guests

dreday3

Do you really think they can say, “3 feet is safe for your children but not you”? That doesn’t make any damn sense. Kids and teachers/staff can be 3 feet apart for 7 hours inside a building but must be 6 feet apart at the beach?

They will use this in their continuing battle with teachers unions to get schools open (the current goal) before they can guarantee all teachers are vaccinated, but rules for schools can’t only apply to schools unless the CDC wants to be viewed as politically-motivated rather than science-based.

Well of course it doesn't make sense. But doesn't meant they couldn't try.

So they won't, question answered.

havoc315

And, like clockwork, Fauci announced that he‘s now aware that 3 feet is as good as 6 feet and is in daily talks with the CDC director.

Here is the study they’ll use: https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab230/6167856

It was completed in Massachusetts so we know we can trust it.

It would enable immediate and dramatic changes at WDW... though whether they have the staffing (and spend the money to bring back staff) for it is another question.
Not only would it mean queues that no longer need to stretch around the whole park, it would eliminate any reason against most fireworks, Fantasmic, entertainment etc. (Not hard to seat around the Fantasmic stadium with 3 feet between families. Just seat every other row, and 2 empty seats between families... same goes for all entertainment).

ToTBellHop

It would enable immediate and dramatic changes at WDW... though whether they have the staffing (and spend the money to bring back staff) for it is another question.
Not only would it mean queues that no longer need to stretch around the whole park, it would eliminate any reason against most fireworks, Fantasmic, entertainment etc. (Not hard to seat around the Fantasmic stadium with 3 feet between families. Just seat every other row, and 2 empty seats between families... same goes for all entertainment).
At 3 feet, they could likely reintroduce most of their entertainment and double capacity. At 65 or 70% capacity, they’d basically never turn anyone away since internationally travelers will be excluded for much longer. Only having Americans visiting will never reach 70% of NYE capacity.

I suspect we will see dramatic changes in how the parks are managed this summer.

pdude81

This assumes they continue the mask required policy at WDW (study was based on all students/teachers wearing masks). But 3ft instead of 6 would have a big impact on capacities.

havoc315

At 3 feet, they could likely reintroduce most of their entertainment and double capacity. At 65 or 70% capacity, they’d basically never turn anyone away since internationally travelers will be excluded for much longer. Only having Americans visiting will never reach 70% of NYE capacity.

I suspect we will see dramatic changes in how the parks are managed this summer.

Considering that in normal operation, on an average day, they are operating with about 60% attendance.... They likely would rarely have to turn anyone away from any park at that level over the summer.

But the real issue is whether they will quickly enough staff back up to be able to manage that level.

They can go three ways at this point for the summer:

1. Go to a 60% capacity or so, which is really normal summer operations. Bring back staff, especially entertainment, so you can actually operate at a normal level.
2. Go to 50-60% capacity... but keep a lid on staff. Contain costs until 10/1.. making for long lines and pretty miserable summer touring.
3. Only increase capacity very slowly.... 40% by memorial day... 50% by July 4th, 60% by September 1st.... and slowly staff up.

ToTBellHop

Considering that in normal operation, on an average day, they are operating with about 60% attendance.... They likely would rarely have to turn anyone away from any park at that level over the summer.

But the real issue is whether they will quickly enough staff back up to be able to manage that level.

They can go three ways at this point for the summer:

1. Go to a 60% capacity or so, which is really normal summer operations. Bring back staff, especially entertainment, so you can actually operate at a normal level.
2. Go to 50-60% capacity... but keep a lid on staff. Contain costs until 10/1.. making for long lines and pretty miserable summer touring.
3. Only increase capacity very slowly.... 40% by memorial day... 50% by July 4th, 60% by September 1st.... and slowly staff up.
I can’t see them turning guests away. I suspect they will accelerate resort reopening and add more to the parks if bookings increase.

havoc315

I can’t see them turning guests away. I suspect they will accelerate resort reopening and add more to the parks if bookings increase.

Well, then we should know pretty soon. Summer "special offer rates" are usually released between March and early April. People would be expected to book their summer plans starting now. And considering it takes several weeks to re-launch any hotel and/or entertainment..
We would expect to see the resort re-openings announced no later than early April (right after Easter perhaps).

Weather_Lady

I was "chatting" (via the Disney website chat feature) with a CM about some questions for our planned August 2021 trip, and asked if the "Early Park Entry" perk (initially touted in January of this year as coming "soon," but now described by the Disney website as arriving, "later this year as part of The World's Most Magical Celebration," to wit, October 1, 2021 and the 15 months thereafter) would possibly have begun by the time we travel. The CM said they'd been told in no uncertain terms that it would not be introduced until sometime in 2022.

Should I put any stock in this whatsoever, or are the website CMs simply the online equivalent of a chatty bus driver? While I wouldn't usually give much thought to small policy changes, this factor may well make the difference between my family keeping our onsite booking or changing to an offsite stay, so I'm particularly interested in divining the answer ahead of time, inasmuch as it's possible to do so.

Weather_Lady

Is there any word as to when they will begin implementing Early Entry?
Disney's approach to Early Park Entry since the January announcement seems to be:
Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

doctornick

Okay, I was wondering because as the capacity increases and lines get longer and there no FP, there would be nice to be something that could be used to get on a couple of rides quickly. I know arriving early in general always helps but this would be more impactful if available for on site guests (and admittedly worse for off site)

havoc315

There are a few things they likely need/want to work out before starting early entry:

1 -- Right now, entry is set up for social distancing -- avoiding throngs of people waiting at the turnstiles. This is accomplished by only letting people into the park area about one hour before official opening, and letting them into the theme park as they arrive, instead of making everyone wait at the turnstiles. This isn't compatible with Early Entry as off-site guests would need to be herded away until "official opening." And more people would arrive at once for the "Early Entry" time since it is an official published time.
2 -- Early Entry is an incentive for on-site booking. With some many resorts still closed, and those that are open filling up strongly, they may not be in any rush to create an on-site incentive.

Once they decide to start Early Entry, it's likely the type of thing they can move quickly on... likely less than a month, of training staff, putting in place a proper procedure, updated the computer entry system, creating signage/announcements, etc.

disneygeek90

Okay, I was wondering because as the capacity increases and lines get longer and there no FP, there would be nice to be something that could be used to get on a couple of rides quickly. I know arriving early in general always helps but this would be more impactful if available for on site guests (and admittedly worse for off site)
What you're describing is basically FP+ with resort guests getting first pick.

havoc315

Actually, the current system may be better than Early Entry, for those that take advantage:

Once Early Entry starts, it will be promoted. Every one site guest will know that they can enter the park 30 minutes early.

Right now, parks are opening 45-60 minutes early, but that isn't being publicized. Unless you read forums and blogs like this, you are probably aiming to arrive at regular entry time.

My point: When Early Entry "officially" begins, you will likely have more early-arrivals than you have right now. And limiting "Early Entry" to on-site guests only doesn't even limit it that much anymore. Considering all the partner hotels that are now considered "on site" for perks, I'd guess that way over 50% of daily guests qualify for "early entry" anyway.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, the current system may be better than Early Entry, for those that take advantage:

Once Early Entry starts, it will be promoted. Every one site guest will know that they can enter the park 30 minutes early.

Right now, parks are opening 45-60 minutes early, but that isn't being publicized. Unless you read forums and blogs like this, you are probably aiming to arrive at regular entry time.

My point: When Early Entry "officially" begins, you will likely have more early-arrivals than you have right now. And limiting "Early Entry" to on-site guests only doesn't even limit it that much anymore. Considering all the partner hotels that are now considered "on site" for perks, I'd guess that way over 50% of daily guests qualify for "early entry" anyway.
Also... the early entry crowd will be divided into the four parks instead of all showing up at the park of the day.

havoc315

Also... the early entry crowd will be divided into the four parks instead of all showing up at the park of the day.

Yes, but that's already happening: All 4 parks are opening early.
My point being: All 4 parks opening "unofficially" and "unpublished" early, gives a bigger early morning advantage than all 4 parks have a "published official early opening" to which more than 50% of guests are invited.

Like back in the day when "fastpass" was a hack that not everyone understood, versus getting a thousand email reminders to schedule your FP+.

havoc315

There are a few things they likely need/want to work out before starting early entry:

1 -- Right now, entry is set up for social distancing -- avoiding throngs of people waiting at the turnstiles. This is accomplished by only letting people into the park area about one hour before official opening, and letting them into the theme park as they arrive, instead of making everyone wait at the turnstiles. This isn't compatible with Early Entry as off-site guests would need to be herded away until "official opening." And more people would arrive at once for the "Early Entry" time since it is an official published time.
2 -- Early Entry is an incentive for on-site booking. With some many resorts still closed, and those that are open filling up strongly, they may not be in any rush to create an on-site incentive.

Once they decide to start Early Entry, it's likely the type of thing they can move quickly on... likely less than a month, of training staff, putting in place a proper procedure, updated the computer entry system, creating signage/announcements, etc.

And since writing this 30 minutes ago, social distancing was reduced to 3 feet.
This gives WDW a lot more room to introduce Early Entry, if they choose to do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom