News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

Goofyernmost

Luggage isn't allowed on Disney transportation, so you're either walking to your resort or taking a cab/uber/lyft from DS when you could have just taken an uber from the airport directly to your resort.
Just another reason why the train is not really an option.

lewisc

just a suggestion next time get dropped off at the Contemporary and walk over or better yet in that parking lot area to save some walking.
Disney isn't allowing ride share drop offs at the Contemporary unless the pax is a registered hotel guest or has an ADR at one of the restaurants in the hotel. YMMV

Patcheslee

It will be if you don't mind dragging your luggage to the train and then when you get to WDW (Disney Springs) you drag your luggage to the bus stops and find the bus that will take you to your resort or pay for some other transportation from there. Doesn't seem like something I would want to do.
Or it turns into another add-on for an additional price. Disney subcontract someone to pick up/drop off luggage at airport, reinstates bag delivery, etc.

tanc

Sorry to necro the thread. I was wondering how it has been the last however many months? Now that the dust has settled what is the best source of transportation?

Still can't believe Disney got rid of this. Easily one of the worst choices this decade imo.

Djsfantasi

I don’t know what you consider”best”. I booked with Mears directly. They use the old Magical Express terminal. I also chose the Express service, which was better than ME as it went directly to my resort.

zappy

Sorry to necro the thread. I was wondering how it has been the last however many months? Now that the dust has settled what is the best source of transportation?

Still can't believe Disney got rid of this. Easily one of the worst choices this decade imo.

Back in April we got a black car service from MCO to our hotel and used the regular Mears bus for the return to the airport. Only eight guests including myself, wife and child on a big coach bus was very relaxing.....not sure how profitable for Mears though lol

Ayla

We rented a car and included attractions outside Disney in our 7 day vacation.

bcoachable

I don’t know what you consider”best”. I booked with Mears directly. They use the old Magical Express terminal. I also chose the Express service, which was better than ME as it went directly to my resort.
Absolutely not being snarky to you specifically- but I would like to add that YOU paid for the service and Disney charged you the same (or more) for your stay.
(That’s been my rub on this issue, anyway….)

JoeCamel

6 weeks not 16 years - this is fresh

mattpeto

If you felt comfortable with DME, I would just go Mears. I'd consider Sunshine if the current promotion works for you (kids under 9 are free).

Mears, like DME is not the most efficient, but it's more reliable and the pricing is what it is, you won't get hit with sticker shock. Mears/Sunshine will always be good for larger groups, small kids and people who aren't comfortable with rideshare.

If it's a very short trip it's adults/couples only, I'd definitely consider Ubering/Lyft directly to a park and using a locker if necessary. If you have larger bags, you have to go to the resort first and it's back to Mears/Sunshine.

Purduevian

I've used uber to get to the Swalphin. It was cheap and fast, but I didn't need any car seats and there were only 2 of us. Also used uber to get back to the airport.

I also rented a car and stayed offsite where there was free parking. If you do this, I highly suggest signing up (for free) for Hertz gold. I skipped a ~30min line and walked directly to my car. This was more expensive, but I was also hitting USO and the beach on this trip.

doctornick

If you felt comfortable with DME, I would just go Mears. I'd consider Sunshine if the current promotion works for you (kids under 9 are free).

Mears, like DME is not the most efficient, but it's more reliable and the pricing is what it is, you won't get hit with sticker shock. Mears/Sunshine will always be good for larger groups, small kids and people who aren't comfortable with rideshare.

If it's a very short trip it's adults/couples only, I'd definitely consider Ubering/Lyft directly to a park and using a locker if necessary. If you have larger bags, you have to go to the resort first and it's back to Mears/Sunshine.

I'd also consider a private van for any reasonably large group. They can go directly to your resort, usually quicker than something like Mears (they can meet you around the baggage carousel), okay for larger/lots of bags and generally even offer car seats if needed.

Disney Glimpses

If you're looking for a private car service, especially one that has car seats and drivers trained to install them properly, I used Cast & Crew Transportation, which is run by cast members who were furloughed in 2020. We also did a grocery stop with them.
Oh wow, thanks for the tip. I was just about to ask for a recommendation. Properly installed car seats are tough to find. Love seeing these CMs branch out onto their own too! Would love to support them.

ladybat2

For those of us paying a hefty price for air fare we relied on ME to take us to our WDW resort hotels. Now we will have to rent a car and the prices for that have nearly doubled in the past few years and on top of having to pay that high rental price we will be charged 19 bucks a day to park it at our Disney resort. I swear sometimes I feel like Disney is punishing us because there was a pandemic that made them have to close for a year when they have been making billions of dollars in profits for decades. Surely they had a savings nest egg put back for in case of disasters. For many of us who live out of state we are likely going to have to think of alternative vacation spots though we won't want to. Lucky Floridians will be happy that they won't have to share the parks with us any more.

mikejs78

Premium Member
For those of us paying a hefty price for air fare we relied on ME to take us to our WDW resort hotels. Now we will have to rent a car and the prices for that have nearly doubled in the past few years and on top of having to pay that high rental price we will be charged 19 bucks a day to park it at our Disney resort. I swear sometimes I feel like Disney is punishing us because there was a pandemic that made them have to close for a year when they have been making billions of dollars in profits for decades. Surely they had a savings nest egg put back for in case of disasters. For many of us who live out of state we are likely going to have to think of alternative vacation spots though we won't want to. Lucky Floridians will be happy that they won't have to share the parks with us any more.

Why do you have to rent a car? There are plenty of other far cheaper options.

Dan Deesnee

My family and our 5 kids just started using a private car service. I think it was about $250 round trip.

I will never stop being mad at Disney for taking this away. Ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom