News Kali River Rapids closing for 3 month refurbishment in early 2021

Giss Neric

I hope they just extend the closure and lengthen the course of the ride. The ride is too short and you barely get wet. I love water rides but I never have any interest in riding Kali whenever I'm in AK.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Do you think Jungle Book characters could actually work here? It’s odd there’s no ride for it.
They could, Yes.

Or should, IMO. I've not so quietly lobbied for it in my armchair discussions for years. Pretty sure others have too! Anything to make the attraction "better" not that IP alone would fix what guests dislike about it. (Short and low of thrills) But it would at least give guests a new ride storyline using the Jungle Book characters. Kali's story is non-existent now that certain effects are turned off. IP wouldn't address the larger issue though; the actual "rapids" part but having AAs like Kaa, Baloo, King Louis, onboard music and other newer effects couldn't hurt. That's a IP re-imagining that would actually breath new life into an attraction that needs it.

Besides doesn't the attraction already touch of the "Man's Red Flower" theme of deforestation. Seems like a natural fit for replacement.

RSoxNo1

If they added the real fire effects back in, tweaked the water-flow of the drop so it wouldn't dump a wall of water onto people, and increased the size/intensity of the post-drop rapids... it would be a solid D-ticket attraction, IMHO.
The ride needs to be longer, plain and simple. My thought was for another section after the lift hill instead of proceeding to the ride as it currently exists you have another long run off and another lifthill that would join the existing ride path. Alternatively, you could also argue that at 20+ years old the ride is fodder for replacement in the next decade or so. That would allow them to access the big plot of land North of Asia much easier than any current option.

cjkeating

If they added the real fire effects back in, tweaked the water-flow of the drop so it wouldn't dump a wall of water onto people, and increased the size/intensity of the post-drop rapids... it would be a solid D-ticket attraction, IMHO.
I don't know if the splash is adaptable but after one trip in May (my first trip) when I got SOAKED... every other trip has been September - December when I've never seen the same huge wave again? So I feel like it is adaptable unless the boat I've been in has always been lucky since.

I agree the post drop rapids should be more intense.

Marc Davis Fan

The ride needs to be longer, plain and simple. My thought was for another section after the lift hill instead of proceeding to the ride as it currently exists you have another long run off and another lifthill that would join the existing ride path. Alternatively, you could also argue that at 20+ years old the ride is fodder for replacement in the next decade or so. That would allow them to access the big plot of land North of Asia much easier than any current option.

Absolutely, if they were doing a full several-years-long redevelopment, one of those options would be ideal. But, in the meanwhile, I'll take the fire effects, non-"wall-of-water" drop, and more intense post-drop rapids...

I don't know if the splash is adaptable but after one trip in May (my first trip) when I got SOAKED... every other trip has been September - December when I've never seen the same huge wave again? So I feel like it is adaptable unless the boat I've been in has always been lucky since.

I agree the post drop rapids should be more intense.

I was trying to figure that out, too. I know Grizzly River Run at DCA is adaptable like that. But the differences between rides in Kali could simply be factors like the weight of the raft.

Do any of our insiders know whether they make seasonal changes to the splash-level in Kali?

ppete1975

im curious if anyone has ridden it yet, if there are any changes. I know we didnt expect any, but disney surprises us sometimes. And theres plenty they could improve on this one....

ToTBellHop

1617061599821.gif

Bocabear

I love the idea of adding a Jungle Book overlay to Kali...It would certainly ad a bit more fun and story to an otherwise Huge Wait/Short not too exciting ride. If the big turn with the previous truck and mudslide fire effects area was a Southeast Asian temple with a King Louie Animatronic singing... Add in other animatronics along the route and a fresh musical score...It Could Be the Animal Kingdom's most memorable ride....

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I haven't taken a spin on KRR in a few years. Looking forward to getting soaked on our May trip with the Ferro Family Four Pack (plus 2) this year.

cookiee_munster

I love the idea of adding a Jungle Book overlay to Kali...It would certainly ad a bit more fun and story to an otherwise Huge Wait/Short not too exciting ride. If the big turn with the previous truck and mudslide fire effects area was a Southeast Asian temple with a King Louie Animatronic singing... Add in other animatronics along the route and a fresh musical score...It Could Be the Animal Kingdom's most memorable ride....
It's probably one of the few IP's id actually see worked into an attraction.

I really liked the live action version, so i'd love to see them work with that rather than the 60's animation. but any Jungle Book version would be welcomed!

and make the thing longer! eeesh!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom