Joe Rohde announces retirement from WDI

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Add in the cost focus COVID has brought, the Disney we knew in the past is gone forever! I know, it is a bit of a downer view. Oh well.

It's a matter of perspective. WDW was just the Magic Kingdom when I first visited without Pirates and Space Mountain. There wasn't an Interstate and commercial flights were not routine. Since then these things have come about as well as the population increasing its changed.

tirian

At this point, I don’t care what WDI has planned. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the talented people left Disney and went to Uni.

(Lest I sound like a fanboy, I have nothing whatsoever to do with Universal/Comcast, and I’ve always preferred Disney IPs.)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
At this point, I don’t care what WDI has planned. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the talented people left Disney and went to Uni.

(Lest I sound like a fanboy, I have nothing whatsoever to do with Universal/Comcast, and I’ve always preferred Disney IPs.)

Counterpoint

tirian

It's a SUCCESS.

Sadly, putting that word in all caps won't change your opinion. Nor will your scary cap word.

Every person I know that has gone to HS recently has been in awe of Galaxy's Edge, so I don't know what you're talking about... And this is coming from someone who absolutely hates Star Wars.
Within the industry, SWGE is considered a success in Florida, where Hollywood Studios simply needed another ride, and a failure in California, where guests wanted the OT.

That’s been discussed in countless other threads; maybe we can keep this one focused on Joe. ;)

tirian

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Within the industry, SWGE is considered a success in Florida, where Hollywood Studios simply needed another ride, and a failure in California, where guests wanted the OT.

That’s been discussed in countless other threads; maybe we can keep this one focused on Joe. ;)
I wouldn't consider SWGE a success if it was shoved into Magic Kingdom, either. It would have made more sense to put it in California Adventure, a park similar to HS... which I would then consider a success.

But anyways, back on topic I guess..

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Have you ever ridden Fast & Furious or King Kong? They have their fair share of blunders, too.

tirian

Have you ever ridden Fast & Furious or King Kong? They have their fair share of blunders, too.
Yes, and that makes Tom Morris’ recent tweet even more sobering. Everyone is taking shortcuts, and there are very few who understand the holistic approach to Imagineering.

I hope Super Nintendo World is a return to the Architecture of Reassurance, fully realized attractions, and kinetic life. I don’t care what company builds the land. People in that industry bounce around too much for me to be a devoted fanboy. ;)

Parker in NYC

There we go ;)
Disney signed off and remained in charge after she was hired and showed exactly who she was. Who pays the bills? But let's blame it on the woman, as per usual. In any event, the movies absolutely sucked and the land they inspired is cold and antiseptic. Brilliant ride, however. that could just as easily have been done around the OT.

The Empress Lilly

Yes, that's another reason for the IP-ification.

WDI is no longer a lifetime profession of Disney people.
Designers switch back and forth between contractors. All parks and similar experiences use the same talent pool and design companies. And knowledge. All knowledge is out there, no longer hidden in the halls and archives and minds of WDI.

Money is not a competitive advantage either. Disney's competition has got deep pockets too. Disney can't outspend them.

So how can Disney compete if all else is equal? By having the best IP library. The new Disney difference.
That, and having the IP in-house. UNI first pays to use Potter, while their parks then add value to an outside property. TWDC by contrast owns SW, their parks add value to the SW IP, while D+ adds value to the parks. All else being equal, TWDC makes more money from a IP driven experience than the competition, but not from a non-IP. (If one assumes this does not strengthen the Disney brand...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom