Need help with Digital Check-In

DWFEVR

Original Poster
First let me say that I am probably the most "technically challenged" person on these boards. I need some help with help on how to do mobile digital check-in. We have lunch reservations in a few weeks at Wine Bar George but couldn't get a decent time thru the Disney app. so we booked on Open Table. We noticed that it stated that the restaurant does mobile check-in. Not a clue on how this works. I know you can mobile check-in on the Disney app. but that's not where the reservation is. Thanks for any help you can help. :oops:

Jon81uk

First let me say that I am probably the most "technically challenged" person on these boards. I need some help with help on how to do mobile digital check-in. We have lunch reservations in a few weeks at Wine Bar George but couldn't get a decent time thru the Disney app. so we booked on Open Table. We noticed that it stated that the restaurant does mobile check-in. Not a clue on how this works. I know you can mobile check-in on the Disney app. but that's not where the reservation is. Thanks for any help you can help. :oops:

If you reserved on OpenTable then follow the procedure given by OpenTable. I don't think they offer booking in via an app or anything so I assume you just go to the host stand as normal.

DWFEVR

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. I did email Wine Bar George yesterday thinking there is no way I'm going to hear back. Well, I received a very nice email from them today explaining their procedure. I'm embarrassed to say that a preschooler could have figured this out but I can't thank them enough for their assistance.

CAV

Its so infuriating . We went to have breakfast at the Kona Cafe yesterday. The hostess said we needed to check in on our mobile device. "Why," I ask, "Other restaurants do require it." "We do here," she said. Meanwhile, two other parties were struggling to check in.

Getting a little annoyed when, I scan the QR code and push the link, it won't let me check-in. No, it takes me to the settings in my phone and says I have to enable by GPS in order to continue. What????? I need my GPS enabled to check in???? Im here....i just scanned the QR code, didn't I? I dont want to change the settings in my phone so I can have breakfast. Why in God's name do I need to enable my GPS to have breakfast?????

Now I have progressed passed annoyed. I am paying top dollar for a little above average breakfast and I have to check myself in? Meanwhile , the hostess is now trying to help a third party check in. I'm done. We walk away; no breakfast for us that day.

The stupidity of it is mind boggling .

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Its so infuriating . We went to have breakfast at the Kona Cafe yesterday. The hostess said we needed to check in on our mobile device. "Why," I ask, "Other restaurants do require it." "We do here," she said. Meanwhile, two other parties were struggling to check in.

Getting a little annoyed when, I scan the QR code and push the link, it won't let me check-in. No, it takes me to the settings in my phone and says I have to enable by GPS in order to continue. What????? I need my GPS enabled to check in???? Im here....i just scanned the QR code, didn't I? I dont want to change the settings in my phone so I can have breakfast. Why in God's name do I need to enable my GPS to have breakfast?????

Now I have progressed passed annoyed. I am paying top dollar for a little above average breakfast and I have to check myself in? Meanwhile , the hostess is now trying to help a third party check in. I'm done. We walk away; no breakfast for us that day.

The stupidity of it is mind boggling .
Did you have a reservation?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Of course, I did.
You’ll need to contact Disney to get the $10 per person fee waived unless the CM at the desk did it for you. Otherwise the system registers you as a “no show.”

Check in for Disney table service restaurants is done through the My Disney Experience app. If you allow push notifications from Disney (you will need to go to Settings in your phone) you’ll receive a reminder to check in 10 minutes before your reservation time. It is an easy process once you know what to do. All Disney table service restaurants require you to check in on your device.

All Disney quick service restaurants require you to mobile order before being allowed inside.

Eating at WDW is HARD now. :bored:

CAV

You’ll need to contact Disney to get the $10 per person fee waived unless the CM at the desk did it for you. Otherwise the system registers you as a “no show.”

Check in for Disney table service restaurants is done through the My Disney Experience app. If you allow push notifications from Disney (you will need to go to Settings in your phone) you’ll receive a reminder to check in 10 minutes before your reservation time. It is an easy process once you know what to do. All Disney table service restaurants require you to check in on your device.

All Disney quick service restaurants require you to mobile order before being allowed inside.

Eating at WDW is HARD now. :bored:
They dont have to require it. This trip we've eaten at many table service restaurants and checked in with the host. Its not about the process being "easy." Its about having to enable GPS in my phone. There simply isn't a need for that other than Disney wants to invade my privacy even more than they already do.

Trust me, I contacted Disney about my $10.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
They dont have to require it. This trip we've eaten at many table service restaurants and checked in with the host. Its not about the process being "easy." Its about having to enable GPS in my phone. There simply isn't a need for that other than Disney wants to invade my privacy even more than they already do.

Just trying to help.
I understand your frustration.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I was with my friend at WDW this last week and she had issues too because she doesn't have GPS enabled on her phone so I had to check in for us. Even though you're at the restaurant, your phone doesn't think you are which is why you were having issues. Mobile check-in vs in-person check in was about 50/50 on our staycation this last week. Mobile ordering was almost 100% for QS restaurants

nickys

Premium Member
I was with my friend at WDW this last week and she had issues too because she doesn't have GPS enabled on her phone so I had to check in for us. Even though you're at the restaurant, your phone doesn't think you are which is why you were having issues. Mobile check-in vs in-person check in was about 50/50 on our staycation this last week. Mobile ordering was almost 100% for QS restaurants

Just wanted to add that they do let people order in person for QS if they have problems mobile ordering.

CAV

Just wanted to add that they do let people order in person for QS if they have problems mobile ordering.
Nope. They ABSOLUTLEY insisted i order via mobile. They would not let me order in person no matter how many times I asked. In order to get something to eat at the Studios, I had to had a (insert your favorite explitive here) pretzel.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Gotta agree with @CAV on this, @nickys. His experience mirrored mine both in August and earlier this month.

Nope. They ABSOLUTLEY insisted i order via mobile. They would not let me order in person no matter how many times I asked. In order to get something to eat at the Studios, I had to had a (insert your favorite explitive here) pretzel.

nickys

Premium Member
Gotta agree with @CAV on this, @nickys. His experience mirrored mine both in August and earlier this month.
I have friends who were shown to a queue because their phone would not support mobile ordering. They did have to show the CM that the MDE app was returning an error, whereupon they were taken in to a separate line. That was on trips in September and October, possibly very early this month too.

Maybe it depends on the CM &/or the restaurant in question. I’ve read there are issues with the MDE app and older iPhone models, I also know last time I went my phone would not even load the MDE app. But in the case of the reports I’ve had they were using the MDE app so it wasn’t quite that situation, just the mobile ordering kept returning an error.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I have friends who were shown to a queue because their phone would not support mobile ordering. They did have to show the CM that the MDE app was returning an error, whereupon they were taken in to a separate line. That was on trips in September and October, possibly very early this month too.

Maybe it depends on the CM &/or the restaurant in question. I’ve read there are issues with the MDE app and older iPhone models, I also know last time I went my phone would not even load the MDE app. But in the case of the reports I’ve had they were using the MDE app so it wasn’t quite that situation, just the mobile ordering kept returning an error.
My biggest gripe (as I'm sure it was also @CAV 's and others whose complaints I have read) is the ATTITUDE of the CMs manning the entrances. They are arrogant, unyielding and dismissive.....a far cry from the usual friendly and patient demeanor CMs usually display. This is "bad show" for all guests who don't know how to - or can't - mobile order.

In my experience an MDE error was considered to be a "user error" first, not an app glitch. Condescending tones from CMs are not appreciated when mobile ordering is stressful even under the best conditions.

CAV

My biggest gripe (as I'm sure it was also @CAV 's and others whose complaints I have read) is the ATTITUDE of the CMs manning the entrances. They are arrogant, unyielding and dismissive.....a far cry from the usual friendly and patient demeanor CMs usually display. This is "bad show" for all guests who don't know how to - or can't - mobile order.

In my experience an MDE error was considered to be a "user error" first, not an app glitch. Condescending tones from CMs are not appreciated when mobile ordering is stressful even under the best conditions.
Exactly. Thats what made me so **** mad at Kona. Just the condescending, patronizing ear to ear smile as if to say, "sucks to be you."

jaklgreen

This is really weird. I went last month and had issues with the QR code for check in at several restaurants and when I told the host that it was not working for me, they were super nice and said "no problem" and checked me in. This even happened to me at Kona. I would be frustrated if I were you also. I probably would not have left and just talked to them again and said that it would not work for me. That kind of seems like an over reaction.

CAV

This is really weird. I went last month and had issues with the QR code for check in at several restaurants and when I told the host that it was not working for me, they were super nice and said "no problem" and checked me in. This even happened to me at Kona. I would be frustrated if I were you also. I probably would not have left and just talked to them again and said that it would not work for me. That kind of seems like an over reaction.
Over reaction on my part? Were you there because I was. The hostess simply would not let me check in. So, save your judgement for someone else. And again, at the Studios trying to get into the Commissary because I couldn't get in at the Kona, the hostess asked me to hand her my phone so she could check me in. No fricking thanks. I am not going to hand you my phone so you can change the settings.

What is so difficult about #1) an employee checking someone in #2) not having to enable GPS to check in. Is there really hoards of people trying to check in who are not there?

jaklgreen

Over reaction on my part? Were you there because I was. The hostess simply would not let me check in. So, save your judgement for someone else. And again, at the Studios trying to get into the Commissary because I couldn't get in at the Kona, the hostess asked me to hand her my phone so she could check me in. No fricking thanks. I am not going to hand you my phone so you can change the settings.

What is so difficult about #1) an employee checking someone in #2) not having to enable GPS to check in. Is there really hoards of people trying to check in who are not there?

I guess that I would have asked for a manager first before just walking away. The host was probably wrong, ill trained, or just made a mistake. The way you wrote it sounds like you were just having a bad day and had enough. That is totally your right to do whatever you feel is best for you in the situation. Maybe I should say that I feel that it would be an overreaction to the situation if it was me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom