News Florida residents will be able to buy a Walt Disney World 50th license plate supporting Make-A-Wish

dreamfinder

While Make a Wish is decent, their merchandising and advertising costs are sky high and as such very little of the money donated actually goes to doing the work they set out to do. I would love to see all states support Give Kids the World instead, a much higher percentage of the money donated gets used to help. As @seascape says, I would actually buy such a plate in a second as well and I don't do these specialty plates.

Not so sure this is accurate. Keep in mind there are many different chapters for Make A Wish. Both the National chapter, and the two that server Florida show 74%+ of funds go towards granting wishes. Some other chapters are 85%+. Yes, GKTW is like 92%, so fair amount higher, but 70%+ isn't terrible. Especially when you consider others like the Kids Wish Network are only 14%.

MAW grants many other wish types, while GKTW focuses just on trips to Florida. So they both have their purposes. And fair disclosure, I've supported both organizations.

(Numbers are from Charity Navigator)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Are these plates still happening?
Looks like people have started picking them up. Photo from a FB group -

Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 5.21.08 PM.png

TTA94

Ugh was hoping they would mail it lol 🙄. Hope they take appointments so I can go right in and out of there! Haven’t been or had to deal with a tax collectors location in a few years thankfully and it’s not a fun experience to say the least!

Anyone know yet if they are allowing you to change your number for this plate?

Brian

Ugh was hoping they would mail it lol 🙄. Hope they take appointments so I can go right in and out of there! Haven’t been or had to deal with a tax collectors location in a few years thankfully and it’s not a fun experience to say the least!

If you mean plate number, I believe they are randomized and will not be the same as your current one.

I changed from the plate listing my county to the one saying "In God We Trust" and asked to keep my plate number (since I had it memorized) and they said they don't do plates to order, except for actual vanity plates (custom messages).

vikescaper

I know what you mean! I think the last time I was to the local tax collector office was 2014 right before I got my previous car. I may just kill two birds with one stone as I need to get one of those new fangled driver's license. I don’t really want to because I actually have hair in my current DL photo.

disneygeek90

I just looked into it and you can do a vanity plate with the WDW 50th plate. When you fill out the application for the vanity plate, you can select which plate you want and the WDW one is an option.
Interesting. I already purchased a voucher, do you still have to do the application after purchasing the voucher?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the announcement from FLHSMV today stating the plates are now available statewide -

"The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) is pleased to announce that the new Walt Disney World specialty license plate has been delivered to tax collector offices and license plate agencies statewide. Floridians who purchased presale vouchers for the specialty plate are now able to redeem them at their local tax collector office or license plate agency, and those who wish to purchase the new specialty plate may do so at their local office."

JohnD

Here's the announcement from FLHSMV today stating the plates are now available statewide -

"The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) is pleased to announce that the new Walt Disney World specialty license plate has been delivered to tax collector offices and license plate agencies statewide. Floridians who purchased presale vouchers for the specialty plate are now able to redeem them at their local tax collector office or license plate agency, and those who wish to purchase the new specialty plate may do so at their local office."

I’ll get on that immediately after Labor Day. Thanks! Nice reference to “It is Time” from Lion King, BTW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom