News Liberty Square Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island closing for lengthy refurbishment

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm confused, what did I say above that was incorrect that you felt the need to correct?
The gates aren’t specifically flood control gates (particularly of the kind found elsewhere on property) - but being lock gates water can flow over them if it gets too high.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The gates aren’t specifically flood control gates (particularly of the kind found elsewhere on property) - but being lock gates water can flow over them if it gets too high.
My point was to explain at a high level how the water level is maintained, and how the riverboat can be removed, not to get into a pedantic 'I know more than you' on the precise details of what something is called.

Sundown

Tom Sawyer's Island continues to fascinate me. As a child, I thought it was so full of adventure, I could run around, man the rifle at a fort, explore caves, etc. Awesome, awesome fun.

As an adult...I have to say it's a great overall "attraction". They'd be nuts to change it. It's the one place kids can let-loose, run around, have fun..jump, climb, explore = BE KIDS in a themed area.

Would any of you have an overhead map showing the route of the cave tunnels? I'd love to see something like that.

EricsBiscuit

What makes TSI so amazing to me is the sense of adventure. It is such a unique attraction. You can spend so much time there. Nothing like sitting in a rocking chair watching the steamboat gracefully glide by as the trains on the WDWRR and BTMRR steam by. The fort is amazing fun and the tunnels are too. So underrated.

ppete1975

Can't help but feel Tom Sawyer Island is a case where TDO's reluctance to spend money has worked in its/our favor. Really is an anachronism in today's WDW (no IP, no overlays, no out of place tech or expansions) and it's all the better for it.
i dont think they can do much (anyone feel free to correct me.. nicely), if they do much at all they would have to bring it up to ADA standards.

Fox&Hound

While I believe Buzz Lightyear would have been better at DHS, Midway Mania makes that two shooting games with the same franchise...so, Buzz is best left where it is, and it's a super popular ride. I agree heartily with the Speedway even if it is a close and rebuild to a far better version of itself...Tron theming, Indoor section, lots of set dressing, electric cars...YES!
Double Dumbo is cute... The rest is out of place and not so great... it should all be rebuilt as Neverland with a brand new PPF where the circus tents are and a giant Captain Hooks Ship play area where the splash zone is...
To me, that would make Fantasyland truly spectacular... Stepping off the train into a technicolor Neverland would be amazing and make our fantasyland completely unique for the good reasons...
I totally agree with your Tron idea. I like the idea of a bigger and better PPF but would Pirates there and in Advland seem redundant? Either way, I agree that besides Dumbo it seems like a wasted opportunity. It's like they wanted to keep Dumbo (a classic for sure) but they didn't really have any good idea so they just made it a carnival and rethemed Goofy.

Fox&Hound

I am of the belief that TSI offers a nice respite from the crowds of MK, but I am always surprised that they have never thought of filling in the back half of the water way. Like if the Rivers of America is a giant number eight, just fill on the top part and keep the lower part. It would allow you to still keep Tom Sawyer's island, keep the caves, the Liberty Belle could still travel (albeit a much shorter route), continue to make TSI a fun out of the way location, but also reclaiming a ton of land to the north. Has that ever been
considered? Unless you ride the riverboat, most guests have no idea how far back it goes. It would certainly help the bottleneck at Big Thunder (but would need to find a clever way to hide the Haunted Mansion show building). I am not advocating they should do it but it does make sense. I was just curious if it was ever considered.

MK.png

MrPromey

They need to build a bride to the island! The boats across are way too inconvenient
On one hand, I agree. On the other, those boats are what control the flow of traffic which in part, is what helps separate this part from the rest of the Magic Kingdom in terms of crowds and pacing.*

I guess that as long as there weren't two bridges, making it convenient as a "shortcut" that might still work, though.

*Not that I think current management would see it this way. The last thing I'd want to see is those tunnels acting like indoor queue lines but something tells me they would view that as a success. :/

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am of the belief that TSI offers a nice respite from the crowds of MK, but I am always surprised that they have never thought of filling in the back half of the water way. Like if the Rivers of America is a giant number eight, just fill on the top part and keep the lower part. It would allow you to still keep Tom Sawyer's island, keep the caves, the Liberty Belle could still travel (albeit a much shorter route), continue to make TSI a fun out of the way location, but also reclaiming a ton of land to the north. Has that ever been
considered? Unless you ride the riverboat, most guests have no idea how far back it goes. It would certainly help the bottleneck at Big Thunder (but would need to find a clever way to hide the Haunted Mansion show building). I am not advocating they should do it but it does make sense. I was just curious if it was ever considered.

View attachment 522662
You mean like Disneyland did?

Things have been considered.

Walt d

After draining it just 2 years ago? How long before that did it go without being drained? That's a pretty major eyesore in the MK.
I think its cool that its dry enough now that they’re driving out there. I like going out to toms Island a lot. Dose any one know how many feet of water. Ends out there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom