Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Brer Oswald

I don't know if it's a mandate or case by case, but many of the classic Disney films had fresh new restorations for Disney+. I know for a fact that Sword in the Stone is a new and far better restoration than what was released on Blu-Ray, which was hot garbage. Also you can pull great 4K transfers from film, something they weren't doing 18 years ago
That’s fair.

Still doesn’t account for the fact that certain cartoons and specials are only on the US service.

I want to watch my favourite Donald cartoon, Modern Inventions. Why I can’t I do that, despite living only 2 hours away from where you can do that?

FigmentFan82

That’s fair.

Still doesn’t account for the fact that certain cartoons and specials are only on the US service.

I want to watch my favourite Donald cartoon, Modern Inventions. Why I can’t I do that, despite living only 2 hours away from where you can do that?
That you have to chalk up to simply different regional/country rights issues that I'm not very familiar with any particulars or specifics, but know that, especially with streaming which I still don't think has it's own hard and fast set of rules.
My best guess is that initial deals are put in place for distribution within certain regions and that not every piece of content has an international deal in place. I feel ya though, must be frustrating.

Brer Oswald

That you have to chalk up to simply different regional/country rights issues that I'm not very familiar with any particulars or specifics, but know that, especially with streaming which I still don't think has it's own hard and fast set of rules.
My best guess is that initial deals are put in place for distribution within certain regions and that not every piece of content has an international deal in place. I feel ya though, must be frustrating.
It doesn’t seem to be rights issues. There are no alternative streaming rights for these individual cartoons in the country, unlike some movies. What happened seems to be that, when the service first launched, content they consider less of a priority was just left off.

But it was never added over time. Every cartoon or Disneyland episode added to the US after launch also came to Canada. There’s no reasonable explanation for it.

FigmentFan82

It doesn’t seem to be rights issues. There are no alternative streaming rights for these individual cartoons in the country, unlike some movies. What happened seems to be that, when the service first launched, content they consider less of a priority was just left off.

But it was never added over time. Every cartoon or Disneyland episode added to the US after launch also came to Canada. There’s no reasonable explanation for it.
It's not streaming rights as in who get's to stream it, rather if certain parties need to be appropriately compensated via royalties. If the original content was never intended for an international release then they would need to possibly negotiate new agreements for the new territories. I wish it were as simple as someone clicking a box on a computer at Disney+ HQ that says "give Canada access" but it's really not as easy as that.

Brer Oswald

It's not streaming rights as in who get's to stream it, rather if certain parties need to be appropriately compensated via royalties. If the original content was never intended for an international release then they would need to possibly negotiate new agreements for the new territories. I wish it were as simple as someone clicking a box on a computer at Disney+ HQ that says "give Canada access" but it's really not as easy as that.
These are cartoons and shows that have had official releases in Canada through DVD and VHS. The “parties” that own these are Disney and only Disney.

You’re giving them way too much benefit of the doubt on this.

FigmentFan82

These are cartoons and shows that have had official releases in Canada through DVD and VHS. The “parties” that own these are Disney and only Disney.

You’re giving them way too much benefit of the doubt on this.
A DVD and streaming release is different and they are not one to one. That is not my opinion, it's just a fact. one of my sisters is a professional actress and has been a part of negotatiating new media (streaming) royalty issues. There are TV shows that have been released on DVD and not come to streaming due to music rights issues. Most of the time a piece of content is not wholly owned in the way that the perceived owner can simply due whatever they want with it and not compensate those involved with the production. I'm not giving any benefit of the doubt because I know that these things can be way more complicated than we think. To the content you're referring to, maybe they can put it up on D+ Canada and have simply chosen not to. I know that on the Disney+ subbreddit there are constant updates about certain pieces of content becoming available in different countries. I don't know how/when/why they choose to roll out the content the way they do, I just know there's usually a few more hoops than "upload to Canada"

JoeCamel

That's sad. There used to be a Radio Disney location near Backlot Express/Star Tours at DHS where we could see the disc jockey work behind the windows in the recording studio.
Universal had a storefront radio setup on Hollywood blvd in the studios as well. Chicken or egg? mmmmm

seascape

Radio Disney is shutting down. Not sure how many people listened to it these days, but that’s quite a few jobs lost I’m sure.
No, only 36 jobs. There are more job losses at ABC News. but all ABC News is doing is catching up to NBC News and the others. Face it. every large corporation is cutting jobs because technology is allowing for much greater productivity. This happens after every economic downturn. On the otherhand, everyone can be assured that by 2023, when Disney celebrates it's 100 anniversary, WDW will have more cast members than they did at the end of 2019.

Jrb1979

No, only 36 jobs. There are more job losses at ABC News. but all ABC News is doing is catching up to NBC News and the others. Face it. every large corporation is cutting jobs because technology is allowing for much greater productivity. This happens after every economic downturn. On the otherhand, everyone can be assured that by 2023, when Disney celebrates it's 100 anniversary, WDW will have more cast members than they did at the end of 2019.
Its already been said a lot of the job cuts were coming Covid or not. Maybe not 28,000 but many were coming.

denyuntilcaught

There's no reasonable explanation that you (or we) are aware of.

legwand77

I eat out quite often and I haven't seen any restaurants modify their menus. As far as Florida goes I only saw this at WDW, not at City Walk or Disney Springs.
In my travels it has primarily been the case in the heavier locked down areas/states. Back in March and April it was due to some food supply distribution interruptions, those have pretty much corrected themselves, stil some minor issues here and there. Most streamlined menus now are due to restrictions and lack of business. No point in a large menu when you are down to 25-50% capacity, with a streamlined menu, at that volume you are breaking even at best, most likely still losing money though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I spoke with a DVC Cast Members this morning and cancelled me December trip to Sarasota Springs. My wife loves that resort as its next to Disney Springs. I
changed to Animal Kingdom Savannah View for the last weekend in January. Our points will expire if I can't make it but that is the risk I took in September when I rebooked for December. People who complain about losing points now have no one other than themselves to blame. Anyway, if we get to go I only lose 1 point.

Getting back to why I am posting. I have contributed to the Cast Members Pantry and think everyone should but I would like to know is there a fund for Cast Member Housing that has started. I would love to help Cast Members with their rent and or mortgage payments and hope someone can provide a good charity for helping the best employees in the world, Disney Cast Members.

I had expiring points booked in early November. We sold them. First and probably last time. But It was a nice parachute in strange times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom