Politics 28000 Layoffs coming to Disney's domestic theme parks - statement from Josh D'Amaro

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

seascape

Yeah, no. Keeping myself and my family safe is my first priority. I am keeping CM's safe by staying home.
If one refuses to take the vaccine, they are not helping the Cast Members. Then, once you have taken the vaccine, not going out and shop and not vacationing hurts the employment rate. If people don't go to WDW, WDW can't bring Cast Members back to work and as result they can't afford rent and food. We need to do the right thing.

HarperRose

If one refuses to take the vaccine, they are not helping the Cast Members. Then, once you have taken the vaccine, not going out and shop and not vacationing hurts the employment rate. If people don't go to WDW, WDW can't bring Cast Members back to work and as result they can't afford rent and food. We need to do the right thing.
LOL The CM's at WDW are not even remotely on my radar as a priority. The fact you think I should take a vaccine to keep others employed is all kinds of messed up.

Trying to guilt/shame someone into visiting an amusement park in the middle of a global pandemic is peak 2020.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Those are usually toxic, unproductive places to work. Negativity is contagious and the most successful people are generally the positive thinkers.

They are also the vast majority of places on this space rock known as earth. Expecting people not to act like people is fraught with difficulties.

But if you really loved the particular business and always had a good experience there, do you just walk away if they are doing something you dont like, or would you let them know? After that if they dont change, then your statement is more correct. Marie

Of course not. This is the “happy thoughts” thing. It’s not how things are and everyone knows it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Traveling now is not protecting anyone. Not that I dispute your point...it’s just a bit of a misdirection.

Wdw didn’t open for the employees. Not one bit. look at the situation/details and it’s pretty easy to dismiss that “reason”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What reason do you think they have for opening? Marie
1. NBA bubble (shifting revenues to the property that were needed)...though that didn’t require the parks to reopen necessarily
2. The huge number of contracted DVC rooms
3. Wall Street...they couldn’t stay closed as long as the goofy governor screamed “we’re open! We’re open!”

That’s just the nuts and bolts of it...but also realize the employees pay was covered by covid relief so they could have stayed closed much more easily and slowed operational losses. But the three conditions above were too much.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I see this tread is tagged “politics” too. At first I thought what has Disney layoffs have to do with politics, but then I thought, COVID = Shutdowns = shareholders = money = politics. Never mind....

wannabeBelle

So Dr. Ron just called people that want to close schools as a measure to slow the spread of covid - and I quote - "Flat Earthers".
Doomed, we are doomed.
Part of Staten Island in NYC Is in an Orange zone designation due to the spread of Covid but my Mayor wants to open schools for 5 day a week in person learning. Granted public schools have amazingly low rates of the virus and in person school learning is important but the two things happening at the same time is laughable. Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Part of Staten Island in NYC Is in an Orange zone designation due to the spread of Covid but my Mayor wants to open schools for 5 day a week in person learning. Granted public schools have amazingly low rates of the virus and in person school learning is important but the two things happening at the same time is laughable. Marie

New York’s main problem...especially the more working collar areas...is childcare.

I imagine that’s the issue there?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I see this tread is tagged “politics” too. At first I thought what has Disney layoffs have to do with politics, but then I thought, COVID = Shutdowns = shareholders = money = politics. Never mind....

It’s Mostly about operations...but it’s a developing situation that’s very tied to the political climate now...so that’s a tough ask

macefamily

I really hope some good things happen with the vaccine and some of these numbers can be reduced. We know two young adults who participated in the Disney College Program, and when they graduated they chose to go back and work at Disney. We haven't heard if they were part of the layoff. Praying that they're not.

Goofyernmost

I do agree without us going to the parks, hiring back the CM's is not an option but the problem here is that WDW has been cutting CM's for a number of years and definitely prior to Covid. The general consensus among the forum members seems to be that this just increased the number that were already planning to be cut this year.
We really need to separate our thoughts from before to the current Covid situation. They were indeed cutting back, but how far they intended to go cannot be judged based on the fact the the damn place in California completely and remains shut down and in Florida was shut down completely for a number of months and still are dealing with reduced admissions and revenue.

We will never know how much they planned to cut back. We will know that once the parks are back in full operation and crowds have returned. Then, if they don't call back or replace the Entertainment part, they might well suffer a reduced revenue.. We just don't know. Then it will be up to us to decide if we want to pay the money for reduced service or find another pass time.

Goofyernmost

Yes, June. What part of June doesn't make sense to you right now? Also, we're still talking in complete hypotheticals. The only truth right now is that the thing is still floating around out there. Honestly, I feel like just because there are vaccines on the horizon, people are throwing caution to the wind even further. I'll have a vaccine in 6 months, at least... may as well party. We're all saved!
Yes, I went to Walmart today and I saw more noses then I have seen in months.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The vaccine will be here soon. There is no reason that everyone can't receive it by the end of June. That is unless the new Administration decides that the vaccines we have paid for go elsewhere first. If we care about the Cast Members we will all take the vaccine and then visit WDW and or Disneyland. Everyone needs to do their part and stop depending on others.

This is very dangerous in the short term...fatigue/rebellion is gonna cause a lot more economic and public confidence damage in the six months your talking about if you make the assumptions.

And this country has proven its selfish...very spoiled and lazy. It will never be admitted out loud...but it can’t honestly be argued.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom