News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

SirWillow

Is my example of CMs no longer referring to guests as “sir” or “ma’am,” and not assuming gender pronouns not an example of this? (I have no confirmation that this will happen at Disney parks.) Might seem discourteous to some?

This is a matter of cultural relevance. Are we at a time where we need to start changing how we address people? Maybe I'm just odd, but I can usually get a pretty good feel pretty quickly with people when to use sir, ma'am, or something gender neutral if I'm not sure. And again, isn't that already covered under courtesy first?

Chi84

Premium Member
You are failing to understand the purpose of the Keys and the reason they are numbered the way they are. Their hierarchy states that it is permissible to not be courteous, ruin the show, and operate inefficiently in the name of safety if the situation calls for it, otherwise all keys should be practiced simultaneously when possible.

So where do you place an Inclusivity key? You can't place it anywhere without devaluing it's message in some form.
Your lifeboat example describes discrimination prohibited by an entire host of laws; it has nothing to do with principles of inclusivity. "Inclusivity" does not mean "including" people in the lifeboat. Good grief!

Jon81uk

Exactly. Where do you rank it? Safety is above all else, but then that means that Safety trumps Inclusivity... which makes zero sense.
Safety already trumped everything. The rides exclude those who are too short or too large to safely be restrained in the ride vehicle. Those who cannot walk can’t visit some attractions and experiences.
Safety can stop things being inclusive.

Jon81uk

So what areas would need more focus that aren't already covered by courtesy? Seems like they need to refocus and reemphasize courtesy to ALL guests to me. I'm still waiting to hear some concrete examples of how inclusion would do that.

Without talking to the people who implement the training we don’t know what areas they think need more emphasis. Everything on this forum is speculation.
There hasn’t been any official communication about these changes that anyone has shared so we don’t know what areas of inclusion Disney parks think they are struggling with.

Jon81uk

You are failing to understand the purpose of the Keys and the reason they are numbered the way they are. Their hierarchy states that it is permissible to not be courteous, ruin the show, and operate inefficiently in the name of safety if the situation calls for it, otherwise all keys should be practiced simultaneously when possible.

So where do you place an Inclusivity key? You can't place it anywhere without devaluing it's message in some form.

The same can be said that you are devaluing the message of show by prioritising safety.

Not sure why you are clutching at straws on this, it should be obvious that safety is always the most important thing. Then it is important that everyone is included and able to participate if it is safe to do so.

Brad Bishop

Exactly. This makes me think they don't even really understand the intent and audience for the 4 Keys. So how is the popcorn vendor going to prioritize "inclusion" into his/her/they shift, exactly?
The fifth key is "virtue signaling". They need to let everyone know: Look at me! I care.

The other keys were about how to run the parks:
Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency
- and they make sense

5th key? virtue signal to the SJWs.

SirWillow

Without talking to the people who implement the training we don’t know what areas they think need more emphasis. Everything on this forum is speculation.
There hasn’t been any official communication about these changes that anyone has shared so we don’t know what areas of inclusion Disney parks think they are struggling with.
so in other words, no, you don't have any concrete examples or any idea of what might be one that doesn't already fall under Courtesy. :)

Jon81uk

so in other words, no, you don't have any concrete examples or any idea of what might be one that doesn't already fall under Courtesy. :)

No because I don't know what Disney currently covers in their training (I haven't attended a session) or what is being observed in the parks which senior people think could be done better, or what guests are complaining about that could be improved via training.

That was my point, we aren't the people implementing the changes so we have no idea what Disney want to focus on.

Tom Morrow

The same can be said that you are devaluing the message of show by prioritising safety.

Not sure why you are clutching at straws on this, it should be obvious that safety is always the most important thing. Then it is important that everyone is included and able to participate if it is safe to do so.
The difference would be safety is unquestionably above all else including show. Safety is uncompromising. Show, Courtesy, and Efficiency can be compromised. Attempting to fit Inclusion into this hierarchy doesn't work because Inclusion should also be uncompromising but simultaneously can't be above Safety, but then placing it below Safety implies that there are situations where it is okay not to be inclusive.

Again, it's not that I have any issue with Inclusion, it just seems somewhat obvious to me that the people who made this call fired this off without really having a solid grasp on the purpose of the Keys.

_caleb

I get that lots of people see everything through a culture war lens, but can we at least try to engage beyond blanket dismissals?

_caleb

The fifth key is "virtue signaling". They need to let everyone know: Look at me! I care.

- and they make sense

So Disney announced the addition of a 5th category to their internal training on an internal communications site to make "social justice warriors" buy tickets to their theme parks?

_caleb

The difference would be safety is unquestionably above all else including show. Safety is uncompromising. Show, Courtesy, and Efficiency can be compromised. Attempting to fit Inclusion into this hierarchy doesn't work because Inclusion should also be uncompromising but simultaneously can't be above Safety, but then placing it below Safety implies that there are situations where it is okay not to be inclusive.

Again, it's not that I have any issue with Inclusion, it just seems somewhat obvious to me that the people who made this call fired this off without really having a solid grasp on the purpose of the Keys.
Putting "Inclusion" below "Safety" doesn't mean that some guests would be left out of safety.

natatomic

So Disney announced the addition of a 5th category to their internal training on an internal communications site to make "social justice warriors" buy tickets to their theme parks?

No, to make sure they don’t get “canceled.” Silence is violence, you know.

Tom Morrow

Putting "Inclusion" below "Safety" doesn't mean that some guests would be left out of safety.
I know that this isn't what they meant, and obviously it would not be practiced that way. I'm just pointing out that the hierarchy of the keys does dictate that the other keys are comprisable in the name of safety.

I don't think I can continue the debate without more information on how Disney plans to implement this, so for now we'll have to agree to disagree.

Brer Oswald

Which is why I said “shouldn’t this be incorporated into all of them?”. Perhaps they should design a whole new system from the ground up.

RSoxNo1

Turn this around. What if I said "I love watching a bunch of 30 year old black women arguing about something that has zero effect on them"? Would you call me out as racist? If so, then take a look at what you wrote and think about it again.
An element of racism is the balance of power. If every race was on equal footing in our society than your argument makes a lot more sense. However, until we get to that point it's specious at best.

RSoxNo1

- and they make sense

Is it virtue signaling? Where was this reported? Are people other than Disney message boards talking about it?

Was there a press release on WDWNews.com or was this an internal memo?

Sure, it could be included and specified under courtesy instead of being its on key, but perhaps they also identified a problem internally and this is one of many steps to rectify the problem. When you're solving sensitive problems like this, there are going to be symbolic changes and actual changes. You have to be willing to accept one if you want the other.

RSoxNo1

Nothing has objective meaning anymore. Your truth is your truth. Do try to keep up.
Colbert coined the term truthiness over a decade ago in the first season (maybe even the first episode) of the Colbert Report. It is absolutely the mindset of the masses now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom