New Evolv AI security scanners & bag-check procedures implemented at the parks

Mike730

Original Poster
The new Evolv AI security scanners have rolled out to many park entrances across property this summer. @wdwmagic brought us the story of these systems testing at Disney Springs back in June and there is another thread or two buried in the Disney Springs sub-forum. However, I think these changes are so significant to the guest experience that it deserves it's own resort-wide thread for discussing future locations and evolving bag check procedures. Plus, I wanted to share what I've learned because I don't think the news of all this is well known.

1600801751403.png

YouTube link

The following is based on my experience earlier this month.

If you reminisce about the days when you could simply hop off the bus and walk up to the turnstiles, this new system is for you. It cannot be overstated how much of an upgrade this is from the previous bag check system. For most people, you simply walk on through the security area. No lining up, no stopping. I've been visiting yearly since 2001, and I don't think my park entrance experience has ever been this pleasant. I assume there will be some people with a less than stellar experience, especially when crowds increase, but the baseline experience is a major improvement. There is now clear and consistent signage and messaging from CMs at all locations where Evolv is present, where in the past it seemed like every park had completely different guidelines. I think there now exists only two different security schemes, but I don't know for sure about TTC or monorail resorts.

New Evolv Scanners in use at:
-Epcot International Gateway (Installed Early July)
-Animal Kingdom (Installed Early July)
-Hollywood Studios (Installed Early August)
-Epcot Main Entrance (Installed Mid October) EDIT, source
-Disney Springs Entrances (Installed Early November) EDIT, source
-TTC (Installed Mid November) EDIT, source1 source2
-Magic Kingdom Boat Docks (Installed Mid November) EDIT, source
Prior to walking up to security, remove large metal objects from bags (umbrellas, glasses cases). There are signs along the walkway telling you to do so. Cast members ahead of the security area guide you through the scanner at normal walking pace, along with other guests. No single file lines or separation between guests is necessary, just walk. Hold the large metal items in front of you as you casually walk through the new scanner area, per the CMs orders. The scanner software is able to understand these tricky items as "safe" as long as they are held up in front of you. Each Evolv scanner has a bag check off to the side. If the scanner detects anything else, a cast member with a tablet is stationed 15-20 feet after the scanner and will send you off to the side for standard bag inspection (Open all bag pockets, security pokes through with a flashlight). There are no lines for these new scanners unless the bag check backs up, which is less likely to happen as most guest just walk on through.

Old-style Bag Check/Metal Detectors in use at:
-Magic Kingdom Bus Entrance
-Monorails
source
-Water Parks
All guests sent through metal detectors/bag check with stricter object removal rules. Place large metal objects in bin (umbrellas, glasses cases, batteries, aerosols, soda cans, etc.) and walk through the metal detector with bag. Retrieve items on the other side. Guests are sent through single-file one at a time.

From what I could tell, there's no scanners at Disney Springs. The Evolv website flaunts the possibility of temperature scanning too, but this is not in use at the parks. How was your experience with the new system? Has anyone experienced the security at TTC recently? Or at the monorail resorts? Do we think the AI scanners will be implemented elsewhere?

Attachments

• 1600801752030.png
    1600801752030.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
As a dad carrying a backpack full of (mostly unnecessary) stuff it was a lifesaver where we used it. I had my metal stuff in one gallon ziplock and going through was a breeze. Considering we did MK security at Poly it wasn't bad because resort lines were low at the time.

As was mentioned, the two specific items mentioned were umbrellas and glasses cases. I had some metal reusable straws that I also separated. I should have asked of separating the straws is necessary or if I could keep with rest of bag in the future.

Mike730

Original Poster
As a dad carrying a backpack full of (mostly unnecessary) stuff it was a lifesaver where we used it. I had my metal stuff in one gallon ziplock and going through was a breeze. Considering we did MK security at Poly it wasn't bad because resort lines were low at the time.

As was mentioned, the two specific items mentioned were umbrellas and glasses cases. I had some metal reusable straws that I also separated. I should have asked of separating the straws is necessary or if I could keep with rest of bag in the future.
Do you remember what security was like at Poly? Did they have the new scanners or the old metal detectors?

Gillyanne

We only went to MK, EP, and DHS our last visit, but I don't recall doing anything different at DHS than we did at EP or MK, but we also went there last, so maybe we just got into "force of habit" of putting our metal stuff off to the side and not carrying it through. We also were going through with 2 strollers so that throws some things off.

I will note another thing that may set them off (but again we were at some of the older style ones) are the "trigger" style thermometers. We carried one with us the first 2 days (I wanted to see if ours matched theirs, and then just took it again JIC) and realize it triggered both days. Mom had it in her bag first day, and I in mine the second, and she set off the first and I the second, so we determined it must be that. Now that we know ours reads w/in tenths degrees of theirs, we just leave it in the apt.

andre85

So what's the deal on how these work? Is it using the same technology as the nude body scanners the TSA uses?

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
they're super handy at AK & DHS. The only difference when I go to EPCOT/MK is i have to remove my battery back-up for my phone from my purse

Mike730

Original Poster
old style
Thanks. Can you verify that the same old style detectors are used at the other monorail resorts?

We only went to MK, EP, and DHS our last visit, but I don't recall doing anything different at DHS than we did at EP or MK, but we also went there last, so maybe we just got into "force of habit" of putting our metal stuff off to the side and not carrying it through. We also were going through with 2 strollers so that throws some things off.

I will note another thing that may set them off (but again we were at some of the older style ones) are the "trigger" style thermometers. We carried one with us the first 2 days (I wanted to see if ours matched theirs, and then just took it again JIC) and realize it triggered both days. Mom had it in her bag first day, and I in mine the second, and she set off the first and I the second, so we determined it must be that. Now that we know ours reads w/in tenths degrees of theirs, we just leave it in the apt.
Wow, good to know. Was your trip to DHS in July or earlier? If so, you may not have seen the new scanners. With the new ones there is no where to put your stuff "off to the side". It's just open space. You walk through the scanner first and if it pings you then you get bag-checked.

The old "metal stuff off to the side" is now "hold it out in front of you as you walk through the scanner".

Gillyanne

Wow, good to know. Was your trip to DHS in July or earlier? If so, you may not have seen the new scanners. With the new ones there is no where to put your stuff "off to the side". It's just open space. You walk through the scanner first and if it pings you then you get bag-checked.

The old "metal stuff off to the side" is now "hold it out in front of you as you walk through the scanner".

It was the first week of Sept, so maybe I thought I put it to the side, but handed it to my mom or something. it's all a blur so I'm not even sure. I just remember fighting w/ the umbrellas b/c my niece just had to have hers that day too, maybe trying to hold 2 umbrellas, a water bottle and push a stroller, someone just helped w/ them?

esskay

Looking forward to these being put in use park wide. Not just from a covid point of view, but its a pain in the rear to have to queue up, unload everything, wait for that 1 person with a million bags to hurry the hell up in front of you, etc. It's killed the magic really.

Theoretically these could be placed in the parks and you'd never even know if they were themed into walkways. One on the monorail exit, one on the boat ramp, one on the path from the busses, maybe extra ones under the MK station tunnel, etc.

TrainsOfDisney

Theoretically these could be placed in the parks and you'd never even know if they were themed into walkways. One on the monorail exit, one on the boat ramp, one on the path from the busses, maybe extra ones under the MK station tunnel, etc.

That’s a good point, you could add them to the skyliner stations, boat docks etc. you would just have to staff them with enough security to handle them.

I agree with everyone... security was making the park arrival very Un-magical for me and this sounds like a great solution. The fact that there is signage up, and that everyone walks in together without splitting up parties based on bags / no bags is a cause for a celebration. Where can I buy my cupcake?

Figments Friend

Experienced the new security scanners at DHS this morning.
They are a definite improvement and make the security process very quick for everyone involved.

Literally, everyone just walks through in a line without doing anything.
No pulling out electronics, not opening bags, zip.
Just keep walking forward and through ..and go...!
Unless of course, something sets it off.
But they must be set for only truly inappropriate items or weapons because all of the things that normally set a security scanner off such as belt buckles and electronics have no effect on these new additions.

Example -
Up until now during this current visit I've always had to remove my tablet from my bag before passing through the security checkpoint at the Parks, but not today at DHS.
It was literally just walk and go.
No stopping...no slowing....just keep walking.
Fabulous.

This will be a big help when the busier times ahead happen.
Very efficient.
I took a moment to let the CMs manning the stations there know these were great additions.

-

Figments Friend

DESPERATELY want to see these put into use at DL! I hated having security touching all my stuff at bag check even pre-Covid. :( Seemed unsanitary even in ye olden times.

Having experienced these today, I have to say they would be a excellent addition to Disneyland's arrival process.
Hope they are introduced at some point in the near future.

-

Ninja Mom

Does anyone have experience going through these scanners with a camera backpack filled with photography equipment? I have no problem going through a traditional bag check, even with this system, even in the age of Covid-19, but it would be sweet to waltz right through if this new system can handle it.

TSA doesn't seem to have a problem with my photography equipment during scanning with their machines, so I'm wondering if this new technology would be even easier.

~NM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom