New Evolv AI security scanners & bag-check procedures implemented at the parks

ToTBellHop

I hope it's only for the bags that fail the millimeter scan, because that scan is lickety split, especially if you know to hold out your bag and phone away from your body so they get a clean scan.

The X-ray machines, if used for every bag, will be a speed bump.
Yes, I believe this is meant to address the RIDICULOUS extra bag check line that forms each morning and separates families. This would be far faster than hand-checking each bag that fails over an umbrella or a sunscreen bottle.

Chip Chipperson

Yes, I believe this is meant to address the RIDICULOUS extra bag check line that forms each morning and separates families. This would be far faster than hand-checking each bag that fails over an umbrella or a sunscreen bottle.
As someone who has chronically set of the scanners with my backpack, this will be a welcome change. Up until a couple of visits ago, I was always given bad advice by the security guards when I got flagged. Sometimes the advice contradicted what the previous security guard told me - even a day apart. Last year, a guard actually gave me good advice about how to hold my bag and sunglasses/keys so that I didn't get dinged - and it's worked 100% of the time on my 2 trips afterwards but I still get that "I know I'm going to set off the scanner" anxiety every time just because of the line.

Indy_UK

Thank the lord. We are always separated as a family at bag check and usually have to turn the whole thing out.

I assume it’s scan through and not need to open it up unless they find anything serious?

DLP has the scanners and they work great

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thank the lord. We are always separated as a family at bag check and usually have to turn the whole thing out.

I assume it’s scan through and not need to open it up unless they find anything serious?
We will have to see how this works out, but it still seems likely that you when your bag alerts, you will still be separated from the family and sent to the secondary screening. You will then enter a line like you do now, and wait for the bag scan through the machine. Not sure how much better it will be from the guest perceptive, other than hopefully not having to dump out the contents of your bag. I am guessing there is likely labor saving for Disney going with the machine route.

GimpYancIent

We will have to see how this works out, but it still seems likely that you when your bag alerts, you will still be separated from the family and sent to the secondary screening. You will then enter a line like you do now, and wait for the bag scan through the machine. Not sure how much better it will be from the guest perceptive, other than hopefully not having to dump out the contents of your bag. I am guessing there is likely labor saving for Disney going with the machine route.
Disney is still behind the security power curve. Not new tech or procedures.

muddyrivers

As someone who has chronically set of the scanners with my backpack, this will be a welcome change. Up until a couple of visits ago, I was always given bad advice by the security guards when I got flagged. Sometimes the advice contradicted what the previous security guard told me - even a day apart. Last year, a guard actually gave me good advice about how to hold my bag and sunglasses/keys so that I didn't get dinged - and it's worked 100% of the time on my 2 trips afterwards but I still get that "I know I'm going to set off the scanner" anxiety every time just because of the line.
I absolutely hate when I set off the scanners. Luckily, like you, I came across a guard who did a great job telling me what specifically triggered my bag to go off (I have a thick glasses case which the scanner can't completely see through) and they told me what to do to avoid being flagged (hold the glasses case in your hand and have your arm extended as you walk through).

Every time I do this, you hear the beep of the scanner, the guard will look down at their screen, and see it was my extended glasses case (and nothing on my person) and let me keep on going through. Hopefully this advice will help others to avoid getting pulled aside for something silly every time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I absolutely hate when I set off the scanners. Luckily, like you, I came across a guard who did a great job telling me what specifically triggered my bag to go off (I have a thick glasses case which the scanner can't completely see through) and they told me what to do to avoid being flagged (hold the glasses case in your hand and have your arm extended as you walk through).

Every time I do this, you hear the beep of the scanner, the guard will look down at their screen, and see it was my extended glasses case (and nothing on my person) and let me keep on going through. Hopefully this advice will help others to avoid getting pulled aside for something silly every time.
I always do the zombie-walk with bag and phone extended out in front of me. And I keep a lot of stuff in my bag. And there's sometimes a battery powered fan, or a battery pack, and two plastic bottles of water in it.

Haven't been pulled over for extra inspection since.

Chip Chipperson

Yep. A few guards had told me to hold my bag and glasses out while going through. The last one was the only one to tell me to hold my bag in one hand and my keys and glasses in the other because the scanner can make it seem like those objects are in my bag if I hold them all in 1 hand.

ToTBellHop

Yep. A few guards had told me to hold my bag and glasses out while going through. The last one was the only one to tell me to hold my bag in one hand and my keys and glasses in the other because the scanner can make it seem like those objects are in my bag if I hold them all in 1 hand.
I had one security guard yell at me that I didn’t need to hold my bag out lol.

I was like, “can I live?!?!”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom