New Evolv AI security scanners & bag-check procedures implemented at the parks

MarvelCharacterNerd

Worst part was during the test it went

Temp Check -> Dog Screen -> Evolve screen -> Bag check (where they still did everything they normally do.)
Well, I guess that would be to double-check that the scanners were catching things properly.

But clearly they work in FL so... let's get 'em working in CA!

LovePop

They tested them here last year: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/...-speed-visitors-through-security-checkpoints/

Sadly, they were just used for that test and quickly went back to hand searches of all bags.

What? Really? Why is that? I mean, that's bad news for WDW too. Why isn't it being used in DL? And if it isn't for whatever reason, why would it stick around in WDW?

I’ve had to ask questions about separate screening procedure on another Disney forum and they are indeed using these screeners.

They are permanent additions. Well, as permanent as anything.

Thanks for the answers! Good to know, but now I am worrying about it being taken away later, like in DL.

MarvelCharacterNerd

What? Really? Why is that? I mean, that's bad news for WDW too. Why isn't it being used in DL? And if it isn't for whatever reason, why would it stick around in WDW?

Thanks for the answers! Good to know, but now I am worrying about it being taken away later, like in DL.
As noted only semi-jokingly by others, it likely is because the parks aren't open here, just Downtown Disney (which is super-tiny compared to WDW's version) so they aren't getting park-level crowds so it's not considered a necessary expense to install them yet.

Still annoying though. :D

Touchdown

As noted only semi-jokingly by others, it likely is because the parks aren't open here, just Downtown Disney (which is super-tiny compared to WDW's version) so they aren't getting park-level crowds so it's not considered a necessary expense to install them yet.

Still annoying though. :D
Downtown Disney? That still exists? 😉

Seriously though, is the hotel restaurants open like Napa Rose or is it just the non Disney ones.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Downtown Disney? That still exists? 😉

Seriously though, is the hotel restaurants open like Napa Rose or is it just the non Disney ones.
The hotels aren't open at all yet, not even restaurants and stores. But most of the stores and restaurants in DTD are. I've had table service and quick service meals and snacks there over the past few months. And shopped. It's more fun right now while DCA is open as you can walk around like 1/4 of the park - and get a peek above the high wall at Avengers Campus. :) And right now they have the WandaVision photo op backdrop there which is cute - and was the longest line of the day when I went most recently other than the virtual queue to get into the new Star Wars store (which is beautiful!) which took a few hours before I was notified I could go in. But they'll close up that DCA access in two weeks once the ticketed food festival starts.

For a little while longer, DTD will have the Black Panther mural (which is gorgeous) and the Chewbacca Lego figure, both of which also get people waiting to take pics in front of them.

It's the only Disney fix we've got here for the moment. At least they play loops of Disney music throughout DTD. You can go and pretend you're just taking a break between parkhopping. :) I'll be sad when they close off DCA again though.

NelleBelle

What happens with strollers? Does the Evolv scanner work with strollers, or do they get separately searched?
From what I understand, children need to come out of strollers and you need to carry all bags through the scanner (so stroller is empty). Any significant metal objects (metal water bottles, umbrellas, batteries) should come out of your bag as well and be held as you go through.

NelleBelle

It used to be where you had to remove metal water bottles, sunscreen, and umbrellas out of your bag and hold them in front of you as you walked through, but that is no longer the case (yay!). :)
That's great! The person who told me about the procedure had gone back in early Feb. and had to do that. Of course, for me, I'm going to have to go through the whole pat-down-look-in-your-bag procedure since I have medical devices implanted that can't go through the scanner *sigh* oh well 🥺

LovePop

From what I understand, children need to come out of strollers and you need to carry all bags through the scanner (so stroller is empty). Any significant metal objects (metal water bottles, umbrellas, batteries) should come out of your bag as well and be held as you go through.
Thanks! Good to know. That will make things much more pleasant.
It used to be where you had to remove metal water bottles, sunscreen, and umbrellas out of your bag and hold them in front of you as you walked through, but that is no longer the case (yay!). :)
Wow, even better! Wonder why? But never mind, not having to do extra work is the key! Now I can't wait to go back to WDW just to experience this. No bag search. Wow, what luxury! That is a huge improvement, about as good as the introduction of the magic band.

Journey_On

Wow, even better! Wonder why? But never mind, not having to do extra work is the key! Now I can't wait to go back to WDW just to experience this. No bag search. Wow, what luxury! That is a huge improvement, about as good as the introduction of the magic band.
I know, right?? This new security check gives me much more relief, and I even look forward to it (i.e., how easy it is compared to previous versions). That and not having to put your finger on the biometric scanner makes park entry an absolute breeze.

CntrlFlPete

We went to each of the four parks at the end of last year. I imagine batteries are an issue (but not metal like keys and such). We hadn't been to the parks in many years, I had my phone, my keys, and my camera in a backpack as I thought it would make security easy. I heard them speak of umbrellas (need to be held in front of you) but nothing else..

Went through and I was stopped due to the camera. No biggie, fast and easy.

I just laugh at myself as it was not until the 4th day that I figured to just hold the camera in front of me w/ my phone and I finally made it w/o needing additional screening.

But these thing really make the screening experience better (for those that can use the canners).

FigmentsFangirl

One thing I hope for is that the EZ scanners at Disney Springs soon go away, I km,ean sure they're quick and easy, if you gotta get checked/wanded they take you aside and its fairly fast from what I went through {memo to self, dont wear your metal hair piece}. I just hope the Disney Springs EZ scanners soon get done away with, Disney Springs is gonna need that parking, pretty much all of level 2 of Orange Garage is taken up for that checkpoint

It is fairly quick though, entirely non intrusive too

peter11435

One thing I hope for is that the EZ scanners at Disney Springs soon go away, I km,ean sure they're quick and easy, if you gotta get checked/wanded they take you aside and its fairly fast from what I went through {memo to self, dont wear your metal hair piece}. I just hope the Disney Springs EZ scanners soon get done away with, Disney Springs is gonna need that parking, pretty much all of level 2 of Orange Garage is taken up for that checkpoint

It is fairly quick though, entirely non intrusive too
“Pretty much all” is a bit extreme. It takes up about a quarter of level 2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom