News Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon to remain closed until March 2021

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'd expect much more clear designations than Volcano Bay. Along the lines of the main entrance area being a "mask required" section, then the park becoming maskless (with a lot of distancing being enforced) beyond the two bridges that go over the lazy river.
Yes, exactly. It would be easy to have a bunch of signs saying masks beyond this point. The way the park is laid out it’s pretty easy to do.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Anyone know how Uni is handling this at Volcano Bay?

I went to VB last fall before it closed and You needed to wear a mask coming in, locker areas, dining/retail locations, and that was it. Otherwise you're essentially going from ride-to-ride. Queues were all marked with distance stickers. I never felt "unsafe" because you're outdoors and relatively away from people.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I went to VB last fall before it closed and You needed to wear a mask coming in, locker areas, dining/retail locations, and that was it. Otherwise you're essentially going from ride-to-ride. Queues were all marked with distance stickers. I never felt "unsafe" because you're outdoors and relatively away from people.
Same here. We there in July and Universal handled everything amazingly in the US, IOA and VB. We honestly felt safe the entire time at VB. Social distancing was maintained, and the TapuTapu system was the bomb!

beefog

This hopefully starts the losing of mask rules in the rest of the parks. I can walk around the waterpark to get on the next slide, and I am experiencing the water slide, why cant I walk from ride to ride in a different park without a mask? I already know this is a very unfavorable view on this board. So all you OMG you are going to die people for not wearing a mask need not reply, this is just one persons opinion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This hopefully starts the losing of mask rules in the rest of the parks. I can walk around the waterpark to get on the next slide, and I am experiencing the water slide, why cant I walk from ride to ride in a different park without a mask? I already know this is a very unfavorable view on this board. So all you OMG you are going to die people for not wearing a mask need not reply, this is just one persons opinion.
Universal has had their water park open since the summer without requiring masks in the lines for slides or in the pools. They still require masks when walking around in the theme parks. Not saying Disney can’t do something different than Universal and not saying this definitely won’t start the removal of the mask rules in the rest of the parks just that I don’t personally think it’s very likely. Just one person’s opinion.

beefog

Universal has had their water park open since the summer without requiring masks in the lines for slides or in the pools. They still require masks when walking around in the theme parks. Not saying Disney can’t do something different than Universal and not saying this definitely won’t start the removal of the mask rules in the rest of the parks just that I don’t personally think it’s very likely. Just one person’s opinion.
Universal waterpark is not open I was just there 2 weeks ago

techgeek

Does anyone have any visibility as to when Typhoon Lagoon will open?

I don’t have an inside perspective, but my guess as an educated outside observer is 2022.

Too many factors at play with Typhoon. Likely soft demand for water parks this year. No new WP AP’s being sold yet. I think it’s the more expensive of the two parks to operate. Staffing shortage, since there’s been no push yet to bring on any PT / Seasonal / CP staff which is necessary to fill out the lifeguard roster. Likely only essential maintenance has taken place and it would be the harder of the two water parks to bring back online. Distancing and ‘mask zones’ harder to establish and enforce then at BB... the list goes on.

Even if things flipped and demand was through the roof in early summer, they probably couldn’t flip the switch fast enough to bring it online before fall. Maybe if they take BB down for seasonal maintenance in the winter as was typical, it will wake up to take over. More likely I think both parks are dark again through winter 21/22, and return to some sort of ‘normal’ spring ‘22.

robhedin

So it appears there aren't any options for a local to buy a waterpark AP? Kind of a shame because a local isn't going to shell out $70 per family member every time they want to visit the water park.

Its a shame I was really looking forward to going when they opened, but not at that price when in past years I was able to buy a Florida Resident AP for almost the same cost and visit all year.

Also, I would think that Blizzard was chosen to open because it doesn't have the massive "throw everyone into each other every 2 minutes" wave pool like Typhoon does.

Is the mini golf open next to Blizzard Beach or not until March?
They've generally had one mini-golf open for a while now, the first up was Fantasia Gardens, then that closed and they opened Winter Summer Land (next to Blizzard Beach), now they're back to Fantasia Gardens again. We did Winter Summer Land in November.

crawale

Yes, exactly. It would be easy to have a bunch of signs saying masks beyond this point. The way the park is laid out it’s pretty easy to do.
Why is the lifeguard wearing a mask? Suppose he has to jump in - doesn't make sense. More risk if you are drowning then from COVID.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom