AP Refund Watch

mgf

Original Poster
This is admittedly a little early to post as Disney says vaguely "mid to late September" but there have been some anecdotal reports of refunds being issued. Based on other processes related to extensions, pauses, etc this is unlikely to be a totally smooth process or one that happens for all ticket holders at the same day/time or in the same way. Differences in payment method (gc, credit card, cash, etc), financial institutions, etc will probably make this even less straightforward. Crowd sourcing can help here.

I think this board could develop a good resource if members watch for their AP refunds, post the date it appears, and provide a rough calculation of what you think the per day refund was for each ticket you held. This will help people triangulate when funds might be coming and what the refund calculation actually looks like. We should get a fairly consistent result on the per day/per ticket amount, but no one know exactly what formula Disney is going to use.

Thoughts?

SamusAranX

If the original payment method is no longer valid (for example, expired credit / debit card) what will they do? Mail a check?

Amused to Death

My wife and I received refund checks for our Platinum APs a couple of weeks ago. They were purchased through AAA Travel at a time when AAA had yet to implement the massive price increases. Our refunds worked out to be pretty much exactly what I had already calculated based on total amount spent divided by 365 and multiplied by the number of days the parks were closed. Interestingly, My Disney Nightmare still shows both of our passes as being active through the end of December. Would our passes still work? No clue. Haven't tried.

mgf

Original Poster
My wife and I received refund checks for our Platinum APs a couple of weeks ago. They were purchased through AAA Travel at a time when AAA had yet to implement the massive price increases. Our refunds worked out to be pretty much exactly what I had already calculated based on total amount spent divided by 365 and multiplied by the number of days the parks were closed. Interestingly, My Disney Nightmare still shows both of our passes as being active through the end of December. Would our passes still work? No clue. Haven't tried.

Why did you not expect to get compensation for all remaining days on the pass?

I interpret Disney's refund guidance as -- basically they auto-extended everyone for the days the park was closed and then will use the reopening date to the new expiration date as the number of days for reimbursement.

This is why I think the thread will help. Everyone's mileage seems to be varying and Disney is not saying much.

TrainsOfDisney

They made it a bit confusing... it got more clear towards the end. I had trouble deciding what to do without knowing exactly how Disney would calculate the refund.

Amused to Death

Our passes were originally due to expire on July 29. March 16 close to July 11 re-open (although only half of the four parks and no water parks) is 117 days. Taking us through to the end of our July 29 expiration date, 19 more days, would make it a total of 136 days for us.

We paid $770.20 each via AAA Travel for our Platinum APs. That comes out to $2.11 per day, which, interestingly, Disney has never used as a measure in the past. If you've ever tried upgrading from one pass to another, you've been subjected to them telling you that because you already entered the parks X number of days, your current pass has no remaining value.

Anyway, in our case, our actual cost is $2.11 each per day.

$2.11 times 117 days would amount to a refund of $246.87 per pass. If we add the remaining 19 days on our passes, which, yes, makes sense, that's another $40.09 each, or a total of $286.96.

The amount of our refund checks? $290.73 each. No complaints out of us.

Also, during a phone call with Disney, when we were making sure the 2nd of our two checks was coming (they ended up being a week apart), we were told that we'd be receiving an additional refund check later on for the additional month that everyone received. Again, no complaints out of us should that actually happen.

mgf

Original Poster
Our passes were originally due to expire on July 29. March 16 close to July 11 re-open (although only half of the four parks and no water parks) is 117 days. Taking us through to the end of our July 29 expiration date, 19 more days, would make it a total of 136 days for us.

We paid $770.20 each via AAA Travel for our Platinum APs. That comes out to $2.11 per day, which, interestingly, Disney has never used as a measure in the past. If you've ever tried upgrading from one pass to another, you've been subjected to them telling you that because you already entered the parks X number of days, your current pass has no remaining value.

Anyway, in our case, our actual cost is $2.11 each per day.

$2.11 times 117 days would amount to a refund of $246.87 per pass. If we add the remaining 19 days on our passes, which, yes, makes sense, that's another $40.09 each, or a total of $286.96.

The amount of our refund checks? $290.73 each. No complaints out of us.

Also, during a phone call with Disney, when we were making sure the 2nd of our two checks was coming (they ended up being a week apart), we were told that we'd be receiving an additional refund check later on for the additional month that everyone received. Again, no complaints out of us should that actually happen.

Thanks for adding this level of detail to the thread!

SeanC

Our passes disappeared from MDE today (been checking periodically). Don't know if that's a glitch or they've been refunded and removed. No refund to purchase card yet but that can take a few days to show up if they just processed a refund. I'll update if the refund posts or the passes show back up.

mgf

Original Poster
Our passes disappeared from MDE today (been checking periodically). Don't know if that's a glitch or they've been refunded and removed. No refund to purchase card yet but that can take a few days to show up if they just processed a refund. I'll update if the refund posts or the passes show back up.

Mine are also gone from MDE as of today.

Channel One TV

Nope, no refund and no word on my 6 AP's refunds.
Funny, the apologies fly for the over charges but now they are quiet, and months later still nothing. I have held a AP since 1985. I will not be renewing anytime soon if ever. I NEVER will I go on any payment plan again with Disney. A Definite theme: DO NOT TRUST DISNEY. Walt is rolling in his grave!!

olie64

Nope, no refund and no word on my 6 AP's refunds.
Funny, the apologies fly for the over charges but now they are quiet, and months later still nothing. I have held a AP since 1985. I will not be renewing anytime soon if ever. I NEVER will I go on any payment plan again with Disney. A Definite theme: DO NOT TRUST DISNEY. Walt is rolling in his grave!!

Im an out of stater so pay in full, my questions is how hard can it be...parks have been open for almost 3 months and i still haven’t got my refund and they cant give a date that seem like bs to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom