News Refurbishment coming soon to Disney's Polynesian Village Resort - Moana details to be included

HairyChest

Does anyone know if the water feature and lush vegetation (and tiki torches) are going to be part of the new entrance or are they not bringing that back?

nicb88

They're pretty common throughout the world, even in the UK. Just that a lot of city hotels (in London, for example) don't have the space for one. The Savoy and Langham, for example, both do. A lot of train stations in London do too, where taxis pick up.

Generally it's just a covered structure for guests to stay out of the elements when entering, exiting or waiting for their vehicle.
The Savoy and Langham are definitely unusual in that, but they are 5* hotels most people can’t afford here! Haha. I’d expect some luxuries for the cost. I live here and haven’t seen many hotels with port cocheres like those I see at many hotels throughout the US. Just my observation.

TrojanUSC

The Savoy and Langham are definitely unusual in that, but they are 5* hotels most people can’t afford here! Haha. I’d expect some luxuries for the cost. I live here and haven’t seen many hotels with port cocheres like those I see at many hotels throughout the US. Just my observation.

It's very much related to space. Hotels in Central London don't have much space to have one, but lots of hotels at WDW do. If you just google Porté Cochere London you'll find lots of examples.

LittleBuford

Or you can use "portico" (i.e., "gate") unless you arrive in a horse-drawn carriage, the porte-cochere, literally 'carriage gate,' would do.
Sorry to be pedantic, but a portico is closer to a porch (same etymology) than to a gate [ETA: though porte also has the same etymology]. The structures that front the American Adventure and Hall of Presidents are two examples.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry to be pedantic, but a portico is closer to a porch (same etymology) than to a gate. The structures that front the American Adventure and Hall of Presidents are two examples.
They both derive from latin, porticus.

The French term adds "cochere" which is a "coach."

So, one has the original meaning of 'gate' and the other 'coach gate.'

Porte-chochere only started become in vogue in the U.S. in the past 2 decades. 'Portico' was the go-to word for the awning at an entrance.

1617480507766.png

And that pales in comparison to 'portico.'

1617480556240.png

LittleBuford

They both derive from latin, porticus.

The French term adds "cochere" which is a "coach."

So, one has the original meaning of 'gate' and the other 'coach gate.'

Porte-chochere only started become in vogue in the U.S. in the past 2 decades. 'Portico' was the go-to word for the awning at an entrance.

View attachment 544818

And that pales in comparison to 'portico.'

View attachment 544819
I noted the share etymology in my ETA. I’ve never heard the word “portico” used for the kind of hotel driveway under discussion here. Perhaps it’s an American usage.

Nubs70

Walked past the rooms the are redoing. It's a total redo down to the studs. Through the plastic on the interior of the patio doors there are stacks of RockWool.

Bocabear

I hope so! It was really depressing to watch them rip out that garden area. I'll be watching... Always watching. :D
Looks like they dug the original ponds out and then flattened and leveled the ground...I would think if they were putting the water feature back in they would have already started site prep for the new ponds... Plus they would probably have already generated some concept art of the new entrance... Unless it is so underwhelming they are just keeping it quiet. My guess it will be a lot of uninspired landscape and a few torches and fiberglass tikis... It's like they just can't stand to leave a beautifully designed original hotel that is wildly popular alone...they have to get in there and value engineer it... So sad.

nicb88

Looks like they dug the original ponds out and then flattened and leveled the ground...I would think if they were putting the water feature back in they would have already started site prep for the new ponds... Plus they would probably have already generated some concept art of the new entrance... Unless it is so underwhelming they are just keeping it quiet. My guess it will be a lot of uninspired landscape and a few torches and fiberglass tikis... It's like they just can't stand to leave a beautifully designed original hotel that is wildly popular alone...they have to get in there and value engineer it... So sad.
There’s still a lot of construction left of the new entrance so I’m sure there’s time yet for them to redevelop a water feature! No need yet for such despair! :)

Movielover

Looks like they dug the original ponds out and then flattened and leveled the ground...I would think if they were putting the water feature back in they would have already started site prep for the new ponds...
Likely the area was flatten for easier access for the larger construction equipment used for both the roof of the main building and the demo of the monorail station. I would expect the landscaping to start taking shape after the bulk of the Monorail station is complete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom