Haunted Mansion

MagicHappens1971

I also don't understand why a Labor Day release wouldn't work. Shang-Chi made a lot of money — by Covid-19 standards — by releasing Labor Day weekend. Why aren't more studios taking advantage of that?
This wasn't supposed to come out in July, it was supposed to be released in the fall, but they switched dates with The Marvels for some reason.

yensidtlaw1969

This wasn't supposed to come out in July, it was supposed to be released in the fall, but they switched dates with The Marvels for some reason.
Strangely, the movie had first been scheduled to come out March 10th of this year - I think at the last D23 they announced a move to this August, and then a few months back that got updated to the final date of July 28th.

I heard the date was first moved after the first Test Screening last September, suggesting that the scores might have been low 😬 But I've also heard this movie has been "in the can" for months now, so maybe they were able to turn things around without much fuss?

ppete1975

I can't help but wonder if they're anticipating a soft Box Office but hoping it hits big in streaming on Disney+. It'll likely be dropping on there just in time for Halloween.

Maybe they figure they can grab people with it after they've finished their 12th rewatch of Hocus Pocus.
im shocked this isnt just a halloween disney plus and no theatrical showing.

ppete1975

Looks too dark/scary for young ones and not funny as a comedy.

A shame. It's such great IP. (See also: Jungle Cruise)
i think they are aiming for a pirates audience, and that level of fear and adventure. Time will tell though. They keep hoping they hit the pirates hysteria but that was just the right movie for the right time. It wasnt just Depp (see Lone Ranger where they tried to use his name to sell a movie), and it isnt a ride based movie (see jungle cruise)

ppete1975

This production definitely has excellent theater potential, eventually yeah it will filter down to D+, that is eventually.
To me it just looks like a straight to streaming movie, with a limited base. People just arent going to the theaters unless its something huge they want to see, and I dont see this having the appeal that will draw people. Is haunted mansion popular? Absolutely but its still niche, just as Disney fans we all think that its more popular than it is. I dont see a main character that draws people to the movies, and the trailer doesnt scream come see this. I also think the stench from the Eddie Murphy one will be on this one. It all comes down to marketing, and lately that hasnt been Disneys strong point.

Will I go see it.. well of course I am a Disney shill who sees everything Disney or Marvel makes. But as I sit in empty theaters on opening days and weekends, compared to what used to be full houses.. I know I am not the majority.

I hope I am wrong and this is the next potc.. but I have my doubts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Will I go see it.. well of course I am a Disney shill who sees everything Disney or Marvel makes. But as I sit in empty theaters on opening days and weekends, compared to what used to be full houses.. I know I am not the majority.
You're no shill. A real shill wouldn't have made it seem like Marvel content isn't also Disney content!!!!

- A real shell

The trailer that for this movie that plays before The Little Mermaid is slightly different than the one online.
So I noticed.

One thing I like is that "sea-captain ghost" scene where the spirit manifests in a flood of water. This could very well be an allusion to one of the earliest concepts...going back to the original "pirate-murders-his-wife" storyline that was developed for the very earliest drafts of the Mansion. (You know, the "Captain Gore" storyline.) They tested out a special effect that had the pirate appear as a ghost, then the ghost of the murdered wife materialized through the chimney her body had been bricked up in, causing his ghost to dissolve in water, which flooded the chamber before draining away into a puddle. The effect was said to be awesome (by those who saw the model test run), but it took too long even for the walk-through that the attraction was supposed to be at the time, and anyway the story got scrapped eventually. But if the scene in the movie is a reference to that scrapped scene, then it shows the writers have REALLY done their homework with Mansion lore!

SosoDude

First time on the forum in a long time, just popped in to see everyone's take on HM. I didn't realize a new movie had finally moved past the other drafts until I saw the movie poster yesterday at my local cinema. Just watched the trailers and I'm actually cautiously optimistic!

EPCOT-O.G.

You mean the lawsuit that was dismissed upon the request of the plaintiff a year ago?

I didn't even know about it until you brought it up.
Since you were unfamiliar with this matter, here’s a report from Yahoo indicating that this was settled out of court.

not seeing much on Haddish’s IMDB going forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom