Deluxe Resort with Slides?

tabby1222

Original Poster
Ok friends. I need help.

Through an amazing experience with upgrades due to a resort being closed, we had an issue at the Riviera while we were there. As a result of me bringing up my concern, we were contacted by guest relations, and the manager put us in for a night stay, due to our issue. I had no idea this was happening, and am so shocked. I didn't ask, just raised my concern so they knew.

When I read the email, I about cried. I am able to basically choose any deluxe resort for our night. Some of the moderates are included.

I figure that I need to use this to my advantage, and stay at a resort I will never be able to afford on my own (single mom and teacher=DisneyPOOR!). Also, a goal is to stay at every resort at least once, so this helps that goal, as well!

It will be me, my mom, and DS 7&8. We will mostly be going just to swim and enjoy the resort. May throw in a short park visit, but we are only about 45 mins away, so park time is not a concern.

My mom really wants to stay at Grand Floridian, while I am leaning towards Poly. I looked at Beach Club, for Stormalong Bay, but I am not a swimmer, and my boys are not yet strong swimmers, so I have concerns about this.

We also love good food, and that is a consideration, as well. We have done O'Hana before at Poly, and enjoyed it. I did not love the food options at Riviera, so this is another concern......

Here is the list of places we can choose from:
Moderate Resorts: Disney's Port Orleans Resort (already stayed here), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, or Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Deluxe Resorts: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney’s Beach Club Resort, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Disney’s BoardWalk Inn, Disney's Riviera Resort (already stayed here) or Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Thanks so much for the advice!

NYwdwfan

Ok friends. I need help.

Through an amazing experience with upgrades due to a resort being closed, we had an issue at the Riviera while we were there. As a result of me bringing up my concern, we were contacted by guest relations, and the manager put us in for a night stay, due to our issue. I had no idea this was happening, and am so shocked. I didn't ask, just raised my concern so they knew.

When I read the email, I about cried. I am able to basically choose any deluxe resort for our night. Some of the moderates are included.

I figure that I need to use this to my advantage, and stay at a resort I will never be able to afford on my own (single mom and teacher=DisneyPOOR!). Also, a goal is to stay at every resort at least once, so this helps that goal, as well!

It will be me, my mom, and DS 7&8. We will mostly be going just to swim and enjoy the resort. May throw in a short park visit, but we are only about 45 mins away, so park time is not a concern.

My mom really wants to stay at Grand Floridian, while I am leaning towards Poly. I looked at Beach Club, for Stormalong Bay, but I am not a swimmer, and my boys are not yet strong swimmers, so I have concerns about this.

We also love good food, and that is a consideration, as well. We have done O'Hana before at Poly, and enjoyed it. I did not love the food options at Riviera, so this is another concern......

Moderate Resorts: Disney's Port Orleans Resort (already stayed here), Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, or Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Deluxe Resorts: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort, Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Disney’s Yacht Club Resort, Disney’s Beach Club Resort, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, Disney’s BoardWalk Inn, Disney's Riviera Resort (already stayed here) or Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge.

If your mom really wants to stay at the Grand Floridian, and it is cost prohibitive otherwise, I vote for staying at the Grand Floridian.

tabby1222

Original Poster
If your mom really wants to stay at the Grand Floridian, and it is cost prohibitive otherwise, I vote for staying at the Grand Floridian.
We usually stick with rooms that are under $250, only because we have fallen in love with Port Orleans. Usually it is value resorts for us, but the pull of Port Orleans. Devastated that it will probably be the last to open.....

How is the pool at GF? Will the boys enjoy it?

nickys

Premium Member
When is this stay for? Most of the resorts listed aren’t open yet and many have no opening date set, this they will not accept bookings for them even into next year. That’s not to say they won’t open, just that until they have an opening date set they will not accept a booking.

From your title, I assume a pool slide is a must? That’s all moderate and deluxe resorts so no worries there.

Given your concerns about Stormalong Bay, then I would say GF, Poly, AKL or WL. All have two pools, a feature pool with slides and games for kids, and a quieter pool that is still good.

AKL has the added bonus of animals and an activity programme that would keep you entertained without ever setting foot outside the resort. That’s in normal times of course, right now there are virtually no activities going on.

But I agree, treat your Mum.

Club Cooloholic

Yes see what is all open. I will be honest, if park time is not a concern and this is just for the resort, AND it's a trip for right now, I lean towards Kidani( great pool) Boardwalk(neat slide) or Wilderness lodge(ok pool slide). The pools are open and fun.

NYwdwfan

We usually stick with rooms that are under $250, only because we have fallen in love with Port Orleans. Usually it is value resorts for us, but the pull of Port Orleans. Devastated that it will probably be the last to open.....

How is the pool at GF? Will the boys enjoy it?

I can't imagine them NOT liking it - it's a beautiful resort.

tabby1222

Original Poster
We aren't set for a date yet. I can use it anytime in the next year. I was tossing around October.

Mom does want to go to GF, but also wants Poly as well. She would be happy with either. I definitely want to make sure we go somewhere she wants to go, as she has beaten cancer twice in the last year. Even with all the crap of 2020, I can't complain, as the last year has been good to us. An adoption finalized in October, and twice now my mom has defied odds. Luckily she is very proactive and they caught both very early.

Tom P.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the deluxe resorts, particularly if the night is free! But I'll be another vote to say that you should treat your mom and stay at the Grand Floridian.

nickys

Premium Member
We aren't set for a date yet. I can use it anytime in the next year. I was tossing around October.

Mom does want to go to GF, but also wants Poly as well. She would be happy with either. I definitely want to make sure we go somewhere she wants to go, as she has beaten cancer twice in the last year. Even with all the crap of 2020, I can't complain, as the last year has been good to us. An adoption finalized in October, and twice now my mom has defied odds. Luckily she is very proactive and they caught both very early.
I don’t think they are accepting reservations for resorts without an opening date though, plus you can’t book for beyond Sept 2021 yet.

So if you want to book now you will be very limited. BC, WL, AKL Jambo, POR, POFQ are all closed with no opening date.

Club Cooloholic

What do you mean by that? There is nothing about Stomalong Bay that requires you to be a strong swimmer. The sand-bottom area is only two feet deep.
The lazy river area is very deep and to get on the slide you have to leave the main pool area. For a parent that wants to keep close watch of their kids, the entire pool area has a lot of spots to lose view of them. I would say it's not a relaxing pool with smaller kids or ones that are not strong swimmers.

ParentsOf4

We have stayed at both the Grand Floridian and Polynesian recently.

A large portion of the Grand Floridian is blocked off with a blue fence for the NBA, so it's not a normal experience at the Grand Floridian at the moment. The NBA should be leaving by October.

GF Fence.jpg

The two pools at the Polynesian are open. This is the Poly's main pool:

Poly Pool.jpg

Only one of the pools at the Grand Floridian is open. This is the main pool at the Grand Floridian (sorry I don't have a better photo):

GF pool.jpg

I have done the slides at both pools. The Poly's slide is better.

Last edited:

dave&di

I’ve stayed at the GF and Poly, both pools are great, the one thing that would convince me of one over the over is your mum! It sounds like she deserves a treat. The GF also has great dining options from fine dining to quick service.

wlodge_man

Ok friends. I need help.

Just showing a little love for Wilderness Lodge. Slide isn't huge, but great for kids. 👍

nickys

Premium Member
Just showing a little love for Wilderness Lodge. Slide isn't huge, but great for kids. 👍
Since they have to go this year, it looks like WL isn't an option. Unless they can stay at one of the DVC rooms, because the regular resort isn’t opening and they won’t accept bookings even into 2021 at the moment.

BASS

It looks like you and your family deserve a nice break!

I don't think you can go wrong. Each resort has its pros and cons.

Frankly, I'm not as big a fan of Grand Floridian (your mom's wishes aside!). I think that others are more unique.

Animal Kingdom Lodge and the WL are more interesting, IMO. I also love all of the Boardwalk hotels. The Boardwalk itself is really cool and offers various dining options and proximity to Epcot (plus boat to Hollywood Studios).

Regardless where you pick, I hope you and the family enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom