Fall Resort Discounts.... Where are they?

lameen

Original Poster
Any insights into the release of Fall resort discounts? Current promo ends 9/30. That's only 50 days away. Given the crazy low occupancy rates, you'd think they'd be jumping at any opportunity to increase reservations. Standard rack rates definitely won't get Disney any increases. Maybe they are waiting to see how many APs cancel?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any insights into the release of Fall resort discounts? Current promo ends 9/30. That's only 50 days away. Given the crazy low occupancy rates, you'd think they'd be jumping at any opportunity to increase reservations. Standard rack rates definitely won't get Disney any increases. Maybe they are waiting to see how many APs cancel?
Well...they don’t want crowds...and they don’t really know what will be open...

And these same pesky doctors gotta be all “honest” and tell us what’s likely to happen 😡

Wendy Pleakley

I'm surprised we haven't seen fall discounts being offered yet, but without knowing the numbers (park capacity and rooms booked to date) it's impossible to know the reasoning.

If they're already close to capacity, discounts serve no purpose. Remember than as soon as discounts are released guests with existing bookings will cancel and rebook at the discounted rate. Discounts therefore are ultimately applied to everyone, it's not the case where discounts only apply to new bookings.

Wendy Pleakley

Lex Luthor basically said passholders don't spend as much as resort guests so why cater to them.

He's not wrong.

Disney earns the most money by filling the resort with out of town guests paying for hotel rooms and full price tickets.

Passholders are an effective tool to "top up" attendance with discounted admission, but only when there's "extra room" for them.

Right now, they're a lower priority.

Last edited:

Capsin4

New promos have Typically come out between July and October over the last 5 years or so and roughly follow the closing of previous offers. All bets are off now though. They had a few promotions covering the fall earlier this year but I’m sure those reservations have been obliterated.

I’m looking at the last two weeks of December but the resort rates aren’t really worth it. You can get a decent rate at Dolphin or Swan with a AAA discount which is what we’re leaning towards.

We may move our planned universal trip later to cover Christmas and skip Disney if they don’t get it together. $200 for hardrock with an AP that makes a lot of sense to buy.

Capsin4

He's not wrong.

Disney earns the most money bu filling the resort with out of town guests paying for hotel rooms and full price tickets.

Passholders are an effective tool to "top up" attendance with discounted admission, but only when there's "extra room" for them.

The only time I see ressort
I'm surprised we haven't seen fall discounts being offered yet, but without knowing the numbers (park capacity and rooms booked to date) it's impossible to know the reasoning.

If they're already close to capacity, discounts serve no purpose. Remember than as soon as discounts are released guests with existing bookings will cancel and rebook at the discounted rate. Discounts therefore are ultimately applied to everyone, it's not the case where discounts only apply to new bookings.

Not everyo

They aren’t applied to everyone since there’s a limited number and new bookings do make up a share of the discounts, but it certainly isn’t only new bookings.
Usually, price is a major driver in people not coming so promotions make sense. Now though, Covid has probably made bookings less sensitive to price and they know it.

Wendy Pleakley

They aren’t applied to everyone since there’s a limited number and new bookings do make up a share of the discounts, but it certainly isn’t only new bookings.

True, but look at what happens when discounts are released. Web sites crash and travel agents are on hold all day as people book or rebook.

The income generated from new bookings is offset to some degree by the discounts applied to existing bookings, so it comes down to those numbers we aren't privy to.

Disney doesn't offer discounts for resorts that are already fully booked (typically a smaller resort like French Quarter). If their resorts are currently at 90% capacity or similar maybe they don't need to offer discounts, although I find it hard to believe that would be the case.

Capsin4

True, but look at what happens when discounts are released. Web sites crash and travel agents are on hold all day as people book or rebook.

The income generated from new bookings is offset to some degree by the discounts applied to existing bookings, so it comes down to those numbers we aren't privy to.

Disney doesn't offer discounts for resorts that are already fully booked (typically a smaller resort like French Quarter). If their resorts are currently at 90% capacity or similar maybe they don't need to offer discounts, although I find it hard to believe that would be the case.
I think it’s been mentioned that occupancy is in the teens. I can’t imagine they are anywhere near whatever their new capacity is especially given the delays and postponements in opening additional resorts.

peter11435

I think it’s been mentioned that occupancy is in the teens. I can’t imagine they are anywhere near whatever their new capacity is especially given the delays and postponements in opening additional resorts.
Attendance at most of the parks runs decently close to their new capacities. Although the plan two months ago was that those capacities would already be higher than they are now. So the decision to delay resort openings is partially due to lack of demand and partially due to available park capacity being lower than originally expected. Both issues that have developed due to the Covid situation becoming worse since the June announcement.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Based on what I saw in the MK this past weekend, I don't think the MK can handle more than 20-25K guests. They may not want (or need) many more hotel guests. I could be wrong.
Handle? Maybe. Allow? Much less.

As an aside, and as an insight into the tragic hotel game being played currently, Paris has pushed back the reopening of the Disneyland hotel to December 8 from September 7, Hotel New York (Marvel) opening has pushed back to March 8 (almost a year late), Hotel Cheyenne which recently reopened is closing again on October 1 to reopen March 1, and Sequoia Lodge is mothballed until May 1, making its closure a year long. Come October that will leave just 2 of the 6 resorts open.

Lilofan

Attendance at most of the parks runs decently close to their new capacities. Although the plan two months ago was that those capacities would already be higher than they are now. So the decision to delay resort openings is partially due to lack of demand and partially due to available park capacity being lower than originally expected. Both issues that have developed due to the Covid situation becoming worse since the June announcement.
That's not good news to the impacted still on furlough. Not all are back to work.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
He's not wrong.

Disney earns the most money bu filling the resort with out of town guests paying for hotel rooms and full price tickets.

Well there is plenty of room for them right now.

Passholders are the group that makes EPCOT a viable park via the festivals. Passholders (locals) and DVC given the travel restrictions are the only thing really keeping WDW operating right now. TBH the way in which they're being treated is downright awful, especially with the park reservation system, so why is there any incentive for them to go? (unless of course they're not wanted).

Given the state of flux with COVID I would expect more extremely generous discounts to drop at the end of the month. It would be inline with the short notice of the previous round, and give more opportunity to adjust things given the dynamic nature of Covid and the travel restrictions.

I would also suspect that with the inevitable layoffs and continued lack of demand the non-dvc hotel reopening plan is further pushed back. The DVC's (which are empty) can't close so they're status quo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom