What effect has Covid have on the 50th anniversary

John park hopper

Original Poster
WDW 50th anniversary is just ~15 months away and attendance is down, projects have been put on hold or out right canceled, hours cut, profits down considerably and no discounts on much of anything. Not much time left to start or complete projects. Looks like a down size of any 50th original celebration is inevitable. If you had plans to attend the 50th will you still go if this happens?

Last edited:

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
The parks are hurting, badly. Reducing hours even more has been announced. From a sales and marketing perspective, what has been upcharge after upcharge, cupcake parties and cabanas, will not save them this time. Unfortunate that the circumstances are what they are, and I would expect that the month of December will be a good measure of how things will play out in the first half of 2021. Operations are spread out a mile wide and an inch deep, so to throw cupcakes against the wall and see what sticks should be entertaining.

John park hopper

Original Poster
I'm looking at even if there is a vaccine available in 2021 Disney's track record on starting and completing new projects is pretty slow. We planned on going in Feb 2022 (50th) but if there is nothing substantially new over our recent visit in late 2019 I'm thinking what's the point. Wait and see

Giss Neric

I'm am currently still optimistic about an amazing celebration but I am also prepared for a downgraded one. I'm still going anyways.

I'm sensing easing up restrictions by next year but still on high alert on safety.

Note: I have been on Disneyland's 60th and it was amazing so I expect the same treatment hopefully.

bigorangeandy

We had planned for either a late 2021 or late 2022 visit as our next trip. I would expect that if not much is going on for the 50th we will wait till 2022. Our plans are to get annual passes again, so we will get several trips over the year.

Minnesota disney fan

I'm looking at even if there is a vaccine available in 2021 Disney's track record on starting and completing new projects is pretty slow. We planned on going in Feb 2022 (50th) but if there is nothing substantially new over our recent visit in late 2019 I'm thinking what's the point. Wait and see

That's my husband's and my thinking too. We are skipping WDW in 2021, and probably visit disneyland instead on our trip out West in 2021. Then we had tentatively planned a visit to WDW end of FEb/ first of March of 2022. Hopefully that will work out!

hopemax

I posted in one of the other threads, that they could make the 50th look like the 25th. The 25th was a Cakesle, new Illuminations, new parade and fireworks. Plus, buttons, a theme song and a whole lot of nostalgia that guests brought with them. WDW already has the new Illuminations and Castle theming. Swap out the entertainment with promotion of Ratatouille, Tron and Guardians openings, and it's enough. Just need the little freebie, a theme song and a heavy dollop of nostalgia and welcome back / let's get back to normal vibes.

scpergj

While this thread might get interesting, we don’t yet know what the state of the world will be by October 1, 2021.

A ‘normal’ pandemic would be dying out by May/June of next year, vaccine or no. Now, we know this isn’t ‘normal’ so we cannot say for sure. Also, what will the economy be like? What effect will the fall U.S. elections have? Will schools be open over summer break to provide missing/ additional instruction so students can keep up? Will families be able to afford a vacation? Too many variables to say at all right now.

That all said, I personally believe that Disney will be scaling back because of the uncertainty. It will be interesting to see what the final celebration looks like.

DisneyDebRob

I posted in one of the other threads, that they could make the 50th look like the 25th. The 25th was a Cakesle, new Illuminations, new parade and fireworks. Plus, buttons, a theme song and a whole lot of nostalgia that guests brought with them. WDW already has the new Illuminations and Castle theming. Swap out the entertainment with promotion of Ratatouille, Tron and Guardians openings, and it's enough. Just need the little freebie, a theme song and a heavy dollop of nostalgia and welcome back / let's get back to normal vibes.
Don’t forget the cupcake.

beertiki

We have reservations for the 50th. A few days at CB and then a few days at Poly. My wife and I stopped at Disney for one night on our honeymoon, it was also the 25th. At this point all I need to be satisfied on the 50th is being able to see the fireworks from the Poly beach, half drunk from Trader Sam's, and to have not worn a mask at any time on vacation. Bonus would be some 50th merch.

wendysue

We were there for the 40th and were completely underwhelmed, so I can't imagine they will do more than a 20 minute song and dance by the castle and some cupcakes and trinkets. (maybe a mug)

JoeCamel

We have reservations for the 50th. A few days at CB and then a few days at Poly. My wife and I stopped at Disney for one night on our honeymoon, it was also the 25th. At this point all I need to be satisfied on the 50th is being able to see the fireworks from the Poly beach, half drunk from Trader Sam's, and to have not worn a mask at any time on vacation. Bonus would be some 50th **** merch.
You were on your honeymoon for the 25th and going back for the 50th hoping to be satisfied........... I might post something about that but I won't

Yeah, I went there, I'm a bit bored

TTA94

As long as 2021 brings positive news with covid, I highly doubt Disney will ignore WDWs 50th, they would be idiots to not use the Anniversary to bring back guests and undo the damage of 2020.

I’d be satisfied with a few banners, cupcakes, merchandise, the return of Festival of Fantasy (unchanged), return of Main Street Electrical Parade (better then nothing and for Nostalgia), and a special 50th tag to Happily Ever After. Then I guess Epcot can be the one park that gets a brand new addition, which is Harmonius.

beertiki

You were on your honeymoon for the 25th and going back for the 50th hoping to be satisfied........... I might post something about that but I won't

Yeah, I went there, I'm a bit bored

Haha. We have a rule. Vacation does not start until we are both "satisfied".

Funny how the artists name was blocked out. JoSH AGle. Cause it's the British F word?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom