News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

RSoxNo1

Both Ta Lo and a Raya attraction would fit in well with Asia, that's for sure. I'd personally not mind a "Beastly Kingdom" based less around European folktales and more on myths from Africa, pre-colonial Americas, Oceania and of course Asia. Lot more unique to explore there. Could of course squeeze in a walkaround unicorn or something like that, though.

I'm however kind of against a Nemo land in Animal Kingdom because... there's already a Nemo land, in Epcot. TotW does kind of stick out like a sore thumb, being neither particularly Asian or prehistoric, which is unfortunate. Maybe the current updated Nemo is a stopgap until they can figure out something to do with it? Removing Primeval Whirl does seem like a good time to try to retheme Dinorama, if ever, and using the land TotW is on could make room for more Dinoland stuff. In particular, since Disney is going on ahead with making more media pertaining to Ice Age after the Fox acquisition, they could easily put an Ice Age themed ride in there, then say Dinoland is less about only dinosaurs and more about prehistory in general. I'd sooner prefer Ice Age in Dinoland than Indiana Jones or a Zootopia replacement, anyway, lol.

Sidenote... Kinda tired of the Donald theming going on in Dinoland right now. It was fun for the 20th anniversary of AK, but it's overstayed its welcome at this point.
I think Ta Lo is a better fit than Raya.

999th Happy Haunt

Yes, it would be an IP driven way to bring in Asian mythological animals into that park with natural / supernatural undertones. As an IP fit for DAK, it's a pretty strong one, and I would be legit surprised if Disney isn't already considering how to add this to DAK.
I haven’y seen Shang Chi yet, but I can’t imagine a superhero movie being a great fit for Animal Kingdom. If the IP doesn’t have animals as a main focal point, I don’t think it belongs in AK.

RSoxNo1

I haven’y seen Shang Chi yet, but I can’t imagine a superhero movie being a great fit for Animal Kingdom. If the IP doesn’t have animals as a main focal point, I don’t think it belongs in AK.
Go see the movie, it's a great movie and the underlying themes of the mythological animal area Ta Lo absolutely fit into the park. As long as that's the focus it would absolutely work. That doesn't mean characters from the movie can't be featured in the attraction, but there are absolutely story elements (like in Avatar/Pandora) that work for DAK.

ToTBellHop

Go see the movie, it's a great movie and the underlying themes of the mythological animal area Ta Lo absolutely fit into the park. As long as that's the focus it would absolutely work. That doesn't mean characters from the movie can't be featured in the attraction, but there are absolutely story elements (like in Avatar/Pandora) that work for DAK.
Quick! Build it before Peter Parker makes him an Avenger!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Demolition at Primeval Whirl gets underway at Disney's Animal Kingdom​

Primeval-Whirl_Full_44260.jpg

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Any chance we all get surprised by announcement at D23 as to what's happening here (assuming it isn't just being replaced by more simulated parking lot?)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If this isn't a precursor for a replacement, it is disappointment. PW wasn't the greatest ride ever, but I'd rather have it open and operate than just removed and nothing going there.
I think there is a high chance of it being removed with nothing immediately replacing it. IIRC correctly, the ride itself was pretty much off-the-shelf, so it might be able to be deconstructed and used elsewhere. If so, the demolition may be so that Disney can sell the ride itself, sans theming. In that case, they could be selling even without an immediate plan to reuse the space.

Magic Feather

While not finalized, Prime's replacement is DAK's next major-ish project. They had some huge dreams for the plot, but they appear to be shrinking. Original plans were for an E, now I'm not so sure. Construction for the replacement itself though likely won't begin for over a year. I could see this being a good d23 '22 announcement though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom