News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

Disney4Lyfe

Do you have any data that people's regard for the movie has waned?
I did a little sleuthing. ShopDisney has 2 Zootopia plush for sale and that’s it on toys.

Amazon has basically nothing. Looks like about 10 toys. A couple plush. I clicked on the top result and it’s a weird off brand Plush Combo and it’s ranked 29,022 in sales.

I can’t find any Disney+ view ratings.

ToTBellHop

Is? Or Was?

There is a big difference.
Agreed. I’m not convinced it is all that culturally relevant, although a Disney+ series would fix that. They don’t seem interested in that, though, do they? Haven’t heard anything beyond internet fanboy rumors. Encanto seems bigger in FL and CA at the moment.

In any event, I’d welcome a Zootopia area replacing Launch Bay. It would work with the DHS aesthetic.

MKeeler

A 10 minute dark/boat ride where you see a bunch of animatronic dinosaurs would be a massive hit.
So much this. Kids are a key demographic that always seem to have a dinosaur-loving phase and it’s so surprising Disney doesn’t have an all ages dinosaur dark ride that isn’t scary to cast the widest net possible.

Add that and then add more flat rides to Chester and Hester, like a dino carousel, swirling meteorite tea cups, a fun house, etc, and you could have round out the park with a lot of the attractions it needs.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You seem to be the data guy. I was just asking a question.

I wonder, where does it rank on views on D+

Or on merch sales.

Anyone out there know how to look such things up?

I did a little sleuthing. ShopDisney has 2 Zootopia plush for sale and that’s it on toys.

Amazon has basically nothing. Looks like about 10 toys. A couple plush. I clicked on the top result and it’s a weird off brand Plush Combo and it’s ranked 29,022 in sales.

I can’t find any Disney+ view ratings.

Agreed. I’m not convinced it is all that culturally relevant, although a Disney+ series would fix that. They don’t seem interested in that, though, do they? Haven’t heard anything beyond internet fanboy rumors. Encanto seems bigger in FL and CA at the moment.

In any event, I’d welcome a Zootopia area replacing Launch Bay. It would work with the DHS aesthetic.

Unlike Moana which keeps showing up on Neilsen's top ten streaming movies every week (even tho D+ has half the subs as Netflix!), there is no public data on Zooptopia's (the movie) afterlife... except for what Disney is doing with it.

Disney is the one that has the result of surveys regarding Zootopia, and the streaming and DVD sales data to know how popular Zootopia is.

And if Disney is doubling down on Zootopia in a ride and mini-land in one park (so far), then that says that Disney thinks Zootopia has worth as a franchise that can be exploited. Certainly Disney wouldn't be building a mini-land for a franchise that their internal surveys show the public doesn't care about. E.g., there's no references in any of the parks to The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, even at Christmas time.

Not to mention that Zootopia also keeps showing up in the parks with M&Gs and places in parades and cameos in various projected shows.

And there is indeed an announced Zootopia animated series in the works for Disney+. That's another sign that Disney thinks it still is marketable with consumers.

UNCgolf

And if Disney is doubling down on Zootopia in a ride and mini-land in one park (so far), then that says that Disney thinks Zootopia has worth as a franchise that can be exploited. Certainly Disney wouldn't be building a mini-land for a franchise that their internal surveys show the public doesn't care about. E.g., there's no references in any of the parks to The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, even at Christmas time.

I'm not sure that tells us much about its ongoing popularity in the US. Believing it can be exploited in China doesn't necessarily mean they also believe it's worth exploiting in the United States.

It obviously doesn't preclude that either, but I don't think it's good evidence either way.

Comped

I'm not sure that tells us much about its ongoing popularity in the US. Believing it can be exploited in China doesn't necessarily mean they also believe it's worth exploiting in the United States.

It obviously doesn't preclude that either, but I don't think it's good evidence either way.
Zootopia has always been very popular in China - Disney switched a segment to Mickey's Storybook Adventure (when they ported Mickey And The Wonderous Book from HKDL), from a tepid (compared to Robin Williams or even some of the Genies Disney's had at DCA/on Broadway) Friend Like Me, to some song from Zootopia with Judy appearing about halfway through. That Zootopia segment, in my opinion, was worse than the Friend Like Me segment, but it does show Zootopia's popularity in China.

Side note - for some reason, the Shanghai show has most songs in English, other than the opening/closing songs, Mulan's bit in the princess medley and the Zootopia segment. All of which are in Mandarin. They are the only songs in Mandarin -which the dialogue for the show is also in. The HKDL version keeps all the songs in English, but the dialogue is in Cantonese. (Merida also shows up instead of Mulan, and I don't particularly know why - was the film big in HK?)

SplashJacket

And if Disney is doubling down on Zootopia in a ride and mini-land in one park (so far), then that says that Disney thinks Zootopia has worth as a franchise that can be exploited.
Zootopia is a bit of an obsession in and around Shanghai, which is not representative of the other parks internationally.

Zootopia Merchandise and attention seemed to rival Mickey — very surprising.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Iiiis it OK if I make a thread about the Zootopia rumor?
Jump onto here:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Ok, I did some digging and found the source of the Zootopia news, in a waste basket somewhere in the vicinity of TDA in Burbank, CA.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 94

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom