News Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I just wish they wouldnt have closed it. Even if it wasnt a great ride, it gave people things to do, same thing as stitch. I understand maint, and crew to staff it, but why close anything till we have something to replace it with. Im ok with closing, and demo but it would be great if they announced something new.
It has a horrible maintenance situation. Parts were a problem, it was arguable unsafe to operate at times, and I think Disney will be very glad to see that thing in the scrap heap.

Dan Deesnee

Yeah I'll second the parts issue. I read an article about a year ago because one of my kids really liked this ride. It was talking about how Disney was having a hard time finding a couple of parts that I think were only made in Germany and weren't really being made anymore.

I think that, combined with the fact that many people wouldn't miss the ride, led to them just leaving it closed.

I wonder if we'll get an announcement about what Dino Land will turn into prior to d23. Seems like a long time to wait before letting people know.

Bocabear

Problem is there should have been a replacement in the works before it was shut down...certainly before it was demolished.
And we all know the smallest and simplest of attractions is going to have a 3+ year build time...so nothing new possible until 2024-2025 if they start now...
And in that time EPIC Universe will have opened...

ppete1975

It has a horrible maintenance situation. Parts were a problem, it was arguable unsafe to operate at times, and I think Disney will be very glad to see that thing in the scrap heap.
I think there were safety concerns....
You are both absolutely correct, its been so long that I had forgotten. I think I just like hearing about new stuff and all the cool concept art and excitement that I forget facts sometimes :)

nickys

Premium Member
Problem is there should have been a replacement in the works before it was shut down...certainly before it was demolished.
And we all know the smallest and simplest of attractions is going to have a 3+ year build time...so nothing new possible until 2024-2025 if they start now...
And in that time EPIC Universe will have opened...
There have been suggestions from a couple of our insiders that there may be a replacement planned. If that is true presumably we’ll hear it at a D23 event.

Vegas Disney Fan

The company did not go out of business, there are identical rides elsewhere and parts are available online. As far as I can see, the company filed for bankruptcy in France but didn’t go under.

This is what I mean, already 2 people have given 2 different answers. So the reality iis we don’t know exactly why they decided to close it. The timing of when the ride closed suggests the accident in the U.K. had a bearing on things. But the decision to permanently close it could well have had several factors, including safety, maintenance, cost, or other plans.
Reverchon went out of business in 2008 but Zamperla bought the rights to the spinning coaster and sold a new one as recently as 2017, I can’t imagine parts are an issue.

As an off the shelf ride (a portable model if I’m not mistaken) with no protection from the Florida elements it probably just reached it’s useful life and became too expensive to maintain.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

The latest pics of them demolishing PW really have me confused.
Why would they leave the signs up for an attraction that's being demolished? Makes no sense to me.
It's just another page in the latest of Disney's "Bad Show"!

pdude81

Why would they leave the signs up for an attraction that's being demolished? Makes no sense to me.
Why leave up a roller coaster that you can't ride?

Honestly a sign for a demolished attraction fits in well with the theming in that area until they build something else. That's assuming they build something else

GrumpyFan

Why leave up a roller coaster that you can't ride?

Honestly a sign for a demolished attraction fits in well with the theming in that area until they build something else. That's assuming they build something else
No, it's just bad show.
When you take a ride out of commission and it's no longer available to guests, you should remove all of the signage.
Signs should have been taken down way before they started demolition.
Leaving the signs up just confuses guests who aren't in the know.

castlecake2.0

It does look like they’re being very strategic with leaving the entrance area untouched...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom