March 2021???

I've gone to DisneyWorld (in large part due to the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival) in either October or November each year, for the last 22 years. I hate to miss it this year, but between having to wear masks (heat), no park hopping, etc., I'm not sure that this year's trip would provide that value that the other year's have. I was thinking about, instead, going in very early March of next year, typically the start of the Flower and Garden festival, of which I've never attended.

I know that the festival may not happen, and that there may still be mask requirements, and there may be no park hopping, however, I'm an optimist and would like to think that, by that time, things will have relaxed.

The only thing holding me back is, when I check touringplans.com, they have very much of the March crowd levels listed as 7s, 8s, and 9s. I realize that March and April bring Spring break, but that size crowds that early? I don't recall people reporting massive sized crowds during the Flower and Garden Festival, though maybe I just didn't pay enough attention. Maybe touringplans.com is just completely off? I know this upcoming year is going to more or a guess than probably any before it, but has this been anyone's experience?

Spookie2018

Original Poster
I've gone to DisneyWorld (in large part due to the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival) in either October or November each year, for the last 22 years. I hate to miss it this year, but between having to wear masks (heat), no park hopping, etc., I'm not sure that this year's trip would provide that value that the other year's have. I was thinking about, instead, going in very early March of next year, typically the start of the Flower and Garden festival, of which I've never attended.

I know that the festival may not happen, and that there may still be mask requirements, and there may be no park hopping, however, I'm an optimist and would like to think that, by that time, things will have relaxed.

The only thing holding me back is, when I check touringplans.com, they have very much of the March crowd levels listed as 7s, 8s, and 9s. I realize that March and April bring Spring break, but that size crowds that early? I don't recall people reporting massive sized crowds during the Flower and Garden Festival, though maybe I just didn't pay enough attention. Maybe touringplans.com is just completely off? I know this upcoming year is going to more or a guess than probably any before it, but has this been anyone's experience?

Nobody has any early March crowd experience to share?

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

I think it’s impossible to know right now what March will look like.
I haven’t been in March, but you’re probably looking at some spring break crowds (will that still be a thing?). I have been at Christmas with level 10 crowds. It was crowded. We had to pick and choose what to do and we planned ahead. We made sure our FP were good choices (will that still be a thing?) and park hopped (also not sure if that will be an option in March).
Generally, I think you can go anytime of year and have a great trip if you prepare. Unfortunately I have no idea how to prepare in all this uncertainty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stitch826

Trying to predict crowd levels now for March 2021 is about the same as trying to predict them for March of 2051. With the social distancing and everything operating at reduced capacity, as well as many people's aversion to traveling right now, predicting anything more than a week or two in advance is currently impossible. Things may be almost completely back to normal and at full capacity. Or not.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

F&G event is popular and it does draw the crowds. Weve attended several times and the beginning weeks are more popular because its the beginning of Spring and the event drawing in more locals and the colors are more vibrant then than later on.
Regarding the crowd numbers... Youre going into unknown territory. No one can predict next years crowd level numbers without knowing how people are feeling about traveling, taking chances with the virus and whether the cases stay up or drop which will affect park goers. Also theres the economic off shoots of how businesses and jobs collapse or rebound. Are we going into recession, depression, or stabilizing prosperous times, which means peoples available funding to travel and vacation. And what will Disney be doing to attract guests with promotions. The virus direction can help or hinder it all.
The crowd calendars are done by using historical data so the numbers youre looking at now reflect a different time. They will be tweaked a lot as more info is uncovered and data can be applied which will show more realistic numbers.

Upvote 0

Overlordkitty

In normal times, the crowds are definitely picking up in March, however the first weeks of March are better than later March. In March 2019, we were able to enjoy the flower and garden festival, it didn't seem too overwhelming, unlike some nights of F&W I've experienced.

That being said, since Disney's current plans are indicated to be in place through next September, as others have said there is no way to predict what March 2021 will look like.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

Even before the virus, it was getting harder and harder to predict when the parks would be crowded and when they wouldn't be (partially due to the disappearance of any true "slow season"). Now, it's pretty much impossible. If you're wanting to go any time within the next year, you'll have to be ok with going knowing that no one can really tell you what crowds, prices, attractions, and events will be like.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Early March and end of February have been our favorites for the past several years. We love the weather at that time of year. It is pre spring break and Easter crowds. They start to ramp up as the month progresses. It has become increasingly more crowded in the past few years though. We get to experience early F&G, which is so beautiful. The crowds are not enough at this point (pre covid) to change our minds.
As others have said, who knows what it will be like next March? I just suspect that next year will be more and more crowded due to those cancelling or changing reservations this year. People will put up with more if they are really missing Disney (a lot of us dis fans:). The 50th celebration, I think it's all a perfect storm of events that will cause WDW to be crowded the entire year.
But......…….I've been wrong before and I hope I am this time.

Upvote 0

britdaw

Nobody has any early March crowd experience to share?
I've never been in EARLY March, but I think late Feb and early March are typically pretty low in numbers, since most schools do spring breaks in the last part of March and into mid April. However, I think it's probably pretty impossible to tell what early March is going to look like, attendance-wise, AND with mask regulations and things. I'm hoping by then Disney will be "back to normal", because we're going in late March 2021 and I don't want to have to wear a mask in that Florida heat.

Upvote 0

Disstevefan1

I will put my two cent guess in. Things may magically change after Nov. 4th, but I think all the rules we have today at WDW will still be in place including needing a park reservation in March 2021.

Upvote 0

Dave B

Because if you really are watching the info out there we are not even thru the first wave, there will be a second, much bigger wave to hit in the fall/winter and that will carry over thru the spring, earliest I can see things getting better is late summer of 2021 and I think that is pushing it, I really think the parks will be closed during the winter and into 2021

Upvote 0

Spookie2018

Original Poster
Because if you really are watching the info out there we are not even thru the first wave, there will be a second, much bigger wave to hit in the fall/winter and that will carry over thru the spring, earliest I can see things getting better is late summer of 2021 and I think that is pushing it, I really think the parks will be closed during the winter and into 2021
[/QUOTE

This whole "second wave" is based on what a virus did over 100 years ago, Different viruses have differnet behaviors/outcomes. The idea of a second wave is media nonsense.

Upvote 0

Dave B

It wasn't wrong, they didn't know enough about it, so they said we don't need to then, in March, after more research and gaining more of an understanding, they said it helps now, things evolve, it will change as we get more info, As of 6 months ago, we never even new this existed, it takes a little time to figure it out, that is why you need to listen to science and the numbers not a person who has ulterior motives ( to get reelected)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Was hoping to go March of this year. Then COVID. So, hopefully March next year. Yes, Spring is a great time to go whether or not there is the Flower and Garden Festival. Not sure how much back to "normal" WDW will be by then but if you want to avoid REALLY large crowds, then don't go the week of March 28. Easter is April 4 next year. Regardless, there really is no way to predict crowd levels right now. It's more a matter of "conditions on the ground."

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom