Anyone going with kids this month or next?

Billie borella

If so, what ages? Have you been before? How do you explain the new normal if you have? My son will almost be 7.
We are going the 2-9 of August and my son is 10. This is our 3rd time. I have explained to him how important leaving his mask on and not repeatedly touching it is. He is a aware of the dangers but not overtly so. I feel that with all the guidelines we can go and keep ourselves and him safe with masks and social distancing with the lessened capacity. I know some think we are deranged for going at this time but since everyone has to remain masked I feel pretty confident... The flight is more of a concern for me. I am coming from Missouri. HO about you?

Upvote 0

carriebeth

Going with kids beginning of sept. We usually do a 2 week trip husband,me, all our kids. Decided right now a 2 week trip would be too expensive with our free dining taken away and having to keep the park hopper passes we can’t even use. Plus 2 week with limited experiences available might be too long really. So my husband didn’t care to go and wear masks the whole time and we decided sept would be our cancelled me and my daughters and the littlest son who weasels his way into everything cuz he is the baby trip from June. Ages 18,10,6,and 4. Rest of the kids staying home (8 kids in total). So we go to Disney all the time. They are used to the old Disney. I keep them informed of the new changes. Obviously the biggest thing is the mask requirement. I just let them know they will have to do it. If they think they don’t want to then they will be part of the stay home team. Practice wearing them at home outside in the heat. My kids are really good at wearing them and the girls are doing ballet in them at classes so they understand sweating in them.

they know all their favorites like meeting characters in their matching costumes I make and getting pictures isn’t going to happen. But they still get to wear costumes and matching face masks. And they know that it’s Disney even a bad day at Disney is a good day.
They know that they won’t be eating at all our favorite restaurants a lot of which are character dining. And what is usually trips that are a lot about eating and dining has changed to hitting our favorite quick service and maybe a Disney springs table service or two.
Not having fast passes is a huge change for us. But they are great line waiters and we always have fun in lines talking to each other and even with 6 feet between neighbors in line you can still talk to others and we enjoy meeting people in lines finding out where they are from etc.

Next year we named the “year of vacation” hoping things are nearer to normal and we have all next years normal trips to take plus we promised we will make up all missed trips from this year. They know to make the best of what they have now and keep looking forward to better times ahead.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

We are leaving in 6 days and my son just turned 12. He has been going since he was 2, so he pretty much knows how it goes. He is of the age where it is not as difficult for him to understand why he must wear a mask and wash/sanitize his hands all the time. He is just happy he can still go swimming. The 16-hour car trip will throw him through a loop, though, as we usually fly. The last time he had this type of road trip, he was about 5 years old.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Going with kids beginning of sept. We usually do a 2 week trip husband,me, all our kids. Decided right now a 2 week trip would be too expensive with our free dining taken away and having to keep the park hopper passes we can’t even use. Plus 2 week with limited experiences available might be too long really. So my husband didn’t care to go and wear masks the whole time and we decided sept would be our cancelled me and my daughters and the littlest son who weasels his way into everything cuz he is the baby trip from June. Ages 18,10,6,and 4. Rest of the kids staying home (8 kids in total). So we go to Disney all the time. They are used to the old Disney. I keep them informed of the new changes. Obviously the biggest thing is the mask requirement. I just let them know they will have to do it. If they think they don’t want to then they will be part of the stay home team. Practice wearing them at home outside in the heat. My kids are really good at wearing them and the girls are doing ballet in them at classes so they understand sweating in them.

they know all their favorites like meeting characters in their matching costumes I make and getting pictures isn’t going to happen. But they still get to wear costumes and matching face masks. And they know that it’s Disney even a bad day at Disney is a good day.
They know that they won’t be eating at all our favorite restaurants a lot of which are character dining. And what is usually trips that are a lot about eating and dining has changed to hitting our favorite quick service and maybe a Disney springs table service or two.
Not having fast passes is a huge change for us. But they are great line waiters and we always have fun in lines talking to each other and even with 6 feet between neighbors in line you can still talk to others and we enjoy meeting people in lines finding out where they are from etc.

Next year we named the “year of vacation” hoping things are nearer to normal and we have all next years normal trips to take plus we promised we will make up all missed trips from this year. They know to make the best of what they have now and keep looking forward to better times ahead.

Why do you have to keep park hoppers? I thought that they refund that portion of tickets to everyone.

Upvote 0

mickeymiss

Original Poster
We are leaving in 6 days and my son just turned 12. He has been going since he was 2, so he pretty much knows how it goes. He is of the age where it is not as difficult for him to understand why he must wear a mask and wash/sanitize his hands all the time. He is just happy he can still go swimming. The 16-hour car trip will throw him through a loop, though, as we usually fly. The last time he had this type of road trip, he was about 5 years old.

We are driving too about that same distance. We will wear masks for gas stops and take frequent naps in the car. We hope to try to get down there as quickly as possible though. We will follow all of the rules and try to go beyond whenever possible.

Upvote 0

carriebeth

Why do you have to keep park hoppers? I thought that they refund that portion of tickets to everyone.
When we called to switch from our closed resort I mentioned not needing the park hoppers anymore and was told if I cancelled park hoppers I was no longer keeping my original reservation type and so this could not happen. If I wanted to drop them I had to book a room at full cost rather than receive the discount given when the free dining plan was dropped comparing costs it came out better to keep discount and park hopper than pay full price and drop. Basically that room discount gives to those whose free dining was cancelled was a bit of a scam as it really more covered the extra price of park hopper tickets you couldn’t use.

Upvote 0

Dave B

I do not understand how people are choosing to pay FULL PRICE for a park that is depleted with entertainment, I get some received the 35% off, but that's not much different than the normal discounts, No Fireworks, No Parades, No Park hopping, No Character Meet and Greets, No access to each park everyday, Can't go to the parks everyday if you don't have a reservation, No Park Hopping, Very Few Dining options, but PAY FULL PRICE. Why would anyone go now? I get it if Disney was offering tickets for like $50 or something, but to pay full price for maybe 25% of the experience makes no sense TO ME

Upvote 0

Mainahman

I do not understand how people are choosing to pay FULL PRICE for a park that is depleted with entertainment, I get some received the 35% off, but that's not much different than the normal discounts, No Fireworks, No Parades, No Park hopping, No Character Meet and Greets, No access to each park everyday, Can't go to the parks everyday if you don't have a reservation, No Park Hopping, Very Few Dining options, but PAY FULL PRICE. Why would anyone go now? I get it if Disney was offering tickets for like $50 or something, but to pay full price for maybe 25% of the experience makes no sense TO ME
Everyone goes to the parks for different reasons.

Were still going, and we will have my Niece and Nephew with us.

For us, we dont do parades, we dont NEED to park hop, we like it, but its not a deal breaker. There is plenty to do in each park, and can always come and go for a mid day break. The restaurants we like are open, and we never ever meet the characters. In fact the new entertainment is a better option for us to see them. We also got a substantial upgrade moving from All Star Family Suites to a 2 bedroom Villa at Kidani.

I couldnt of afforded to do that normally, So for us at least, Disney made it worth our while, and we prefer to ride the attractions, and eat the food, and smell the smells. All can be done.

Upvote 0

Dave B

I guess risk versus reward is the ultimate question we are all playing every day there is no way I am going to risk my family's health and well-being to go to a 25% open park with some restaurants open have fun guys be safe just my opinion

Upvote 0

Dave B

And to be honest the way this thing is going crazy in Florida right now I would not risk my family's well-being if the park was at 100% capacity but to each their own again risk first reward be safe have fun again just my own opinion

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom