WDW Still Struggling with Safety and Unions

WDW Pro

Original Poster

This will likely weigh on the meeting Friday to determine if WDW goes forward with its opening. My money is still on the opening going forward, but it's no longer clear cut.

Thelazer

I'd bet, there are a fair amount of unemployed folks right now.. that are willing to step in and fill positions if others are not.
Disney surly knows they can use this to there advantage to break the unions, bring in at lower rates.

tissandtully

This will likely weigh on the meeting Friday to determine if WDW goes forward with its opening. My money is still on the opening going forward, but it's no longer clear cut.
They can definitely open without equity actors.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Since this is the Actor Equity union rejecting the WDW proposal, I'm not sure how it would have an impact on the planned reopening. None of the Equity roles/shows were planned to be opening on 7/11 or 7/15. The Equity entertainment already would have been returning later, so all this may do is push back when those shows/roles might start - which was already not set.

BTW, Equity roles cannot by rule be filled by non-Equity performers, so they cannot fill these positions with regular unemployed folks.

YodaMan

Since this is the Actor Equity union rejecting the WDW proposal, I'm not sure how it would have an impact on the planned reopening. None of the Equity roles/shows were planned to be opening on 7/11 or 7/15. The Equity entertainment already would have been returning later, so all this may do is push back when those shows/roles might start - which was already not set.

BTW, Equity roles cannot by rule be filled by non-Equity performers, so they cannot fill these positions with regular unemployed folks.

Other posters have indicated that that first part is not entirely true. There have been mentions of modified shows. I’m not sure if those are out the window now.

rle4lunch

Eh, they'll still open, equity actors or not. Disney's not going to be held back by union demands. Ultimately, if the workers feel they'll be okay, they'll push their cronies to agree to terms.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Other posters have indicated that that first part is not entirely true. There have been mentions of modified shows. I’m not sure if those are out the window now.

Folks on here may have mentioned that they thought Disney could possibly have some modified shows, but as far as I know none of the things that have been announced as opening include Equity roles. Or perhaps I missed a role in something announced somewhere - I'm certainly not 100% sure of all the Equity roles.

Sirwalterraleigh

Doubt it.

Don’t think that will matter at all. I think they are opening because they want the nba and dvc gives them no other options.

Nothing more or less.
I'd bet, there are a fair amount of unemployed folks right now.. that are willing to step in and fill positions if others are not.
Disney surly knows they can use this to there advantage to break the unions, bring in at lower rates.
There is a myth there is a long line of people waiting to work in wdw...

Problem is that has not been the case in reality since the AK era staff expansions.

I don’t think that climate is going to be different now...at least not until after 7/31 at the earliest.

Lilofan

Doubt it.

Don’t think that will matter at all. I think they are opening because they want the nba and dvc gives them no other options.

Nothing more or less.

There is a myth there is a long line of people waiting to work in wdw...

Problem is that has not been the case in reality since the AK era staff expansions.

I don’t think that climate is going to be different now...at least not until after 7/31 at the earliest.
If WDW follows Universal's lead, the UO staff were brought into work then shortly after, the Universal layoffs started happening.

Lilofan

Oh I don’t doubt that..:I might have gotten my wires crossed?

Are we talking about staff reductions/lack of need for new employees?

Yeah...that’s happening
Yes, staffing when business is down only can mean potential layoffs. I know someone at United Airlines that is contemplating the severance package offered to him and thousands of his fellow team members have been given the same buyout. Take it now or if not, then starting on Oct 1 approx 30% of company potentially will be let go with no severance package.

TrojanUSC

Equity does raise a real issue that there isn't a testing protocol proper contact tracing. What is the process if a few cast members get sick at Cosmic Rays? You can't wait for everyone to show sytoms. How do you get everyone there tested quickly without impacting operations? It would be highly unsafe to have possible asypotomatic cast members interacting with guests.

Do they close the restaurant? Notify customers?

With the way this spreads indoors, it will happen. The question is how do they address it while minimizing their operation.

Doubt it.

Nothing more or less.

Can't you just keep DVC resorts open without the parks? That keeps the DVC issue in check and doesn't effect the NBA.

ToTBellHop

Equity does raise a real issue that there isn't a testing protocol proper contact tracing. What is the process if a few cast members get sick at Cosmic Rays? You can't wait for everyone to show sytoms. How do you get everyone there tested quickly without impacting operations? It would be highly unsafe to have possible asypotomatic cast members interacting with guests.

With the way this spreads indoors, it will happen. The question is how do they address it while minimizing their operation.

Can't you just keep DVC resorts open without the parks? That keeps the DVC issue in check and doesn't effect the NBA.
DVC guests will want somewhere to go...they can’t really keep the parks closed and go back to telling DVC owners they need to use their points. They also can’t keep extending points. This issue keeps compounding.

Pangyal

Technically, yes- the DVC contracts do not guarantee park access or anything outside the scope of amenities that are paid for in part or in full by the maintenance fees. Even those are murky at times; for example, the Club Lounge at Jambo.

WDW Pro

Original Poster

The issue is that if this becomes a long term deficiency, or is perceived to be a long term deficiency, it reduces the product quality for guests. If the overall product quality dips low enough due to a multitude of factors, it doesn't do Disney favors to open and have high guest dissatisfaction. VPs and staff know that and are weighing variables as they manifest over the next days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

I just pitched that idea to the dvc membership...this is what they said:

1593651945957.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Yes, staffing when business is down only can mean potential layoffs. I know someone at United Airlines that is contemplating the severance package offered to him and thousands of his fellow team members have been given the same buyout. Take it now or if not, then starting on Oct 1 approx 30% of company potentially will be let go with no severance package.
Sadly...if you’re offered it, that means your decision is made.

I remember when disney did a limited VSP in 2002...at least that was voluntary...but they would have resulted in layoffs had they not gotten enough.

My current company has operated pretty much as normal these last 4 months...but did some furloughs that won’t be recalled. Any excuse to trim the fat.

TrainsOfDisney

I believe what was suggested was that something could open in place of a show like festival of lion king without equity performers. That’s different than replacing equity performers with non-equity actors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom