WDW Resorts Reopening Thread

dreday3

Is there any chance Disney is thinking of using this time to possibly permanently close resorts like POR?
I read somewhere someone saying that resort has historically low capacity.

And along those lines, pre-covid, what was the average occupancy rate of the resorts?

Parker in NYC

Is there any chance Disney is thinking of using this time to possibly permanently close resorts like POR?

And along those lines, pre-covid, what was the average occupancy rate of the resorts?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My precious French Quarter! I can't take this anxiety.

GimpYancIent

My only question with the various resort openings are the dining options. Resorts are opening yet the dining facilities at each resort are not or are very limited. Maybe a little creativity in how the various dining options operate may be in order but they need to get operational again.

dreday3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My precious French Quarter! I can't take this anxiety.

Oh I don't know! I'm just asking!

UNCgolf

Port Orleans Riverside is one of the best resorts at Disney -- it's way better than any of the other moderates and I'd rather stay there than some of the deluxes. Closing it would be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Port Orleans Riverside is one of the best resorts at Disney -- it's way better than any of the other moderates IMO and I'd rather stay there than some of the deluxes. Closing it would be a nightmare.

But it would get rid of "problematic" Dixie Landings, once and for all. ;)

Jrb1979

It would get rid of one the of worst restaurants on property in Boatwrights. Now if they can do the same for San Angelo Inn, Tony's town Square and Hollywood and Vine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Based on full year 2019 pre-pandemic levels the domestic resorts had a 90% occupancy number per the annual report. That is skewed slightly higher due to DVC rooms which tend to be almost always used when in service and also due to large blocks of rooms taken out of service for maintenance during the year. I imagine it varies seasonally as well as within resort class as well. I don’t think Disney discloses resort specific stats publicly so it’s hard to say how well POR is doing. There are insiders who may have access to that information or who may know someone who works there that would know, but it won’t be published officially anywhere.

I think Disney will wait until demand picks up to open more resorts. The deluxe resorts all have DVC attached to them so it’s “cheaper” to open them since you split the cost with owners for shared services and DVC resorts are all open at WDW. CBR has the new skyliner station and CSR has the new tower rooms so I think that’s why POR is the odd man out. It’s also less centrally located so costs more to run buses and/or boats for transport especially when buses are still not filled to capacity due to Covid.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

According to their last earnings call from before the closures they want to open more hotels. See below. And their occupancy in 2019 was in the low to mid 90s according to a call I watched with one of their executives, can’t remember if it was McCarthy or Chapek. Hotels are generally considered successful in the industry if they can clear 60% occupancy, perhaps in some larger cities that stretches to 70%.

9591724E-264E-421C-8CF6-B4DED9C0A925.png

CastAStone

Premium Member

Also POR? Never.

CastAStone

Premium Member
Based on full year 2019 pre-pandemic levels the domestic resorts had a 90% occupancy number per the annual report. That is skewed slightly higher due to DVC rooms which tend to be almost always used when in service and also due to large blocks of rooms taken out of service for maintenance during the year. I imagine it varies seasonally as well as within resort class as well. I don’t think Disney discloses resort specific stats publicly so it’s hard to say how well POR is doing. There are insiders who may have access to that information or who may know someone who works there that would know, but it won’t be published officially anywhere.

I think Disney will wait until demand picks up to open more resorts. The deluxe resorts all have DVC attached to them so it’s “cheaper” to open them since you split the cost with owners for shared services and DVC resorts are all open at WDW. CBR has the new skyliner station and CSR has the new tower rooms so I think that’s why POR is the odd man out. It’s also less centrally located so costs more to run buses and/or boats for transport especially when buses are still not filled to capacity due to Covid.
The occupancy rates are basically a straight line in reverse order of cost. The values sell out 365 days a year (excluding family suites). The moderates nearly every room every night. AK and WL sell out more regularly than the monorail resorts. Source: tracking room availability on Disneyworld.com for months on end.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The occupancy rates are basically a straight line in reverse order of cost. The values sell out 365 days a year (excluding family suites). The moderates nearly every room every night. AK and WL sell out more regularly than the monorail resorts. Source: tracking room availability on Disneyworld.com for months on end.
There’s a pretty good reason why they converted a bunch of Deluxe resort rooms to DVC. If they were always full they probably wouldn’t have done it that way.

UNCgolf

It would get rid of one the of worst restaurants on property in Boatwrights. Now if they can do the same for San Angelo Inn, Tony's town Square and Hollywood and Vine.

I've stayed at POR a few times and never once eaten at Boatwright's. I've grabbed stuff from the food court, but if I'm going to sit down for a meal that wasn't planned in advance I'll just hop on the boat to Disney Springs and eat there.

fgmnt

Went to Boatwrights because I was meeting a CM worked at POR and had the discount. Probably the only condition under which I'd eat there.

havoc315

There’s a pretty good reason why they converted a bunch of Deluxe resort rooms to DVC. If they were always full they probably wouldn’t have done it that way.

THIS. And that's why most of the DVC projects over the last 10-20 years have been conversions.
Price is the biggest driver of demand. Disney wants to charge over $500 per night for their deluxe rooms, in some cases over $1,000 per night.... but the demand is really soft at that price point.
What was the last new regular deluxe resort built?
I believe it was Animal Kingdom Lodge in 2001 -- 20 years ago!
So no new deluxe resorts in 20 years.... That tells you about the demand. (Yes, they were finally planning a new one with Reflections, but that's not happening now).
So for the last 20 years, they have only built value resorts and expanded a mod (Coronado Springs)

With lots of DVC being conversion of deluxe rooms (One of the Contemporary Garden Wings became BLT.... Several Poly long houses became PVB) and even mod rooms (section of CBR became Riviera) -- There are fewer regular deluxe hotel rooms at WDW today than there were 20 years ago.
So they keep that 90+% occupancy rate.... but the only way they can keep it at that high price point is by constantly reducing inventory, converting it and selling it as DVC.

Crunchie9

THIS. And that's why most of the DVC projects over the last 10-20 years have been conversions.
Price is the biggest driver of demand. Disney wants to charge over $500 per night for their deluxe rooms, in some cases over $1,000 per night.... but the demand is really soft at that price point.
What was the last new regular deluxe resort built?
I believe it was Animal Kingdom Lodge in 2001 -- 20 years ago!
So no new deluxe resorts in 20 years.... That tells you about the demand. (Yes, they were finally planning a new one with Reflections, but that's not happening now).
So for the last 20 years, they have only built value resorts and expanded a mod (Coronado Springs)

With lots of DVC being conversion of deluxe rooms (One of the Contemporary Garden Wings became BLT.... Several Poly long houses became PVB) and even mod rooms (section of CBR became Riviera) -- There are fewer regular deluxe hotel rooms at WDW today than there were 20 years ago.
So they keep that 90+% occupancy rate.... but the only way they can keep it at that high price point is by constantly reducing inventory, converting it and selling it as DVC.
The average hotel only needs 30% of inventory consumed to break even monthly. The rest is profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom